Just Another SM Build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Another SM Build...

I'll start with a few teaser shots for now.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Jason M; 04-25-2011, 07:49 PM.

Drivetrain plans? I just did my first SCCA event... my drivetrain puts me in SM ... I did it in the wrong order, built the car and NOW I'm learning to drive, ha

Comment

KA-T, S15 helical lsd, 15x10" Spin Werk's wheels 275/35/15's Hoosier A6's, 8611's F, & 8610's R. I have not competed at in auto X for 3-4 years now, but I've had a ton of seat time karting since then. Unfortunatley I know all too well there is no subsitute for navigating through a sea of cones.

I wanted to run my BBS's but the backspacing is all wrong, so for now they are just wall art ...
      [IMG][/IMG]
      Last edited by Jason M; 04-25-2011, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Wow, that's alotta wheel... going for the 200lbs deduction with the 275s eh? What kind of fender work are those wheels going to take?

Here's me 2 weeks ago... man I'm getting antsy for the next one... not a whole lotta sm 240sx it seems like, I'll look forward to watching your build

Comment

What are the specs of the materials on your control arms? I'm thinking of making a set myself.
          My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

RLCA fab work complete. I really like the way my sway bar mounting bracket turned out. I slotted a peice of 3/16 steel and welded it to a notched tube cut at a 28' angle from the strut bar of the A arm, I also had to rotate the bracket 15' to make the slot parrallel to the sway bar arm when the arm is parrellel to the ground. The bracket also needed to be vertical at normal rid hieght.
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG][IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]
            [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
            Last edited by Jason M; 04-25-2011, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PerilousActs View Post
              What are the specs of the materials on your control arms? I'm thinking of making a set myself.
              1" .065" Dom mild steel (1020 iirc). http://www.speedymetals.com/ps-3494-...teel-tube.aspx

I used 1 5/8" .120 dom for the monoball housing, housing. I cut two snap ring grooves into the 1 5/8" dom which retains a 6061 t6 monoball housing that holds a 5/8" bearing for the k727 ball joint pin.

I used a mill with a 1" cobalt smooth tooth ruffing end mill to notch the tubing.
              [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
              [IMG][/IMG]
              Last edited by Jason M; 04-25-2011, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Looks like a great start. My SM build is pretty minimal but my co driver and I are doing pretty well. We still have JDM coilovers but soon we will have all sphericals but the LCAs both front and rear. The LCAs will have hardened rubber bushings.

Good luck and keep us posted.
                Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

The most difficult part about making A arms is locating the ball joint. I made a very crude looking jig, using factory control arms to help locate the pivot points and set the angle of the ball joint.
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]

In order to notch the two 1" tubes to the 1-5/8" tube for the ball joint housing at a compound angle, I had to cut both ends of the tubes together at one time with a 1-5/8" hole saw using my jig, a 1/4" drill bushing, & a super long 1/4" pilot for the hole saw. I Had the two tubes tack wleded together, then tacked them to the jig, then cut them from the bottom up... Not sure if that makes sense to anyone, it's getting late.

[IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]

I cut open a ball joint to find the center of rotation for roll center measurements, and machined the end of the FLCA bolts to a allow for easy measurment of the inboard pivot point of the FLCA.
                  [IMG][/IMG]

One jig can make both RLCA's...
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  Last edited by Jason M; 04-29-2011, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Love the documentation. Nice work.

Comment

Was the K727 the right taper? I didn't think that Chrysler used the correct one?
                      Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Those lower control arms are spiffy. Any chance you'd make another pair?

For the swaybar bracket on the arm, have you thought about multiple mounts (along the length of the arm) to allow more adjustment? Combined with multiple mount positions on the swaybar, you'd have more adjustment than you'd know what to do with.

Comment

Thanks for posting those pics up! Helped me out a lot.
                          My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

I'll take a set when you finish as well.
                            Originally posted by SoSideways
                            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

that is some very nice work! I like your choice of 275/35/15's too. I often contemplate moving my build towards DSP and using that size. I look forward to reading/seeing more updates!
                              -Dennis
                              92 240SX Coupe
                              93 MR2 Turbo
                              75 Celica GT
                              07 CBR 1000RR

Comment

Working...
                              X