No announcement yet.

2_Liter_Turbo's 1992 240SX Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picked up my bottom end today! All the machine work is finished, crank is in with the scraper, Scat rods, CP Pistons (WPC treated), ARP mains and ACL race bearings. I'll have lots of updates over the next couple weeks! Couple pics before I start working on it:

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

By the end of last night I got a few things done. I should get a ton done today!

Oil Pump Prior to assembly:

Timing hardware installed:

Timing cover, water pump and crank pulley lightly installed. Torquing down after "red death" drys, lol. The crank pulley will get torqued when the head is installed along with the rest of the timing gear.

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

How much did that lusturous milky coating cost you?
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Lol, are you talking about the WPC treating? It was just over $300 for the pistons, oil pump hardware and rocker arms. And it's not a coating, lol, it's a type of shot peening process.
          Last edited by 2_Liter_Turbo; 06-18-2011, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Yea I know what it is, I think that's the terminology MotoIQ does.

You didn't do the bearings? That's where it seems like it'd be the best place.

What about thermal barrier coatings? The piston tops seem to be the best place, and maybe combustion chamber/valve faces, but I've seen lots of reports of the coating (of all types) failing and flaking off. Not a huge deal in an NA engine as long as it doesn't score cylinder walls, but on a turbo the turbine wheel will NOT be happy.

Comment

Yeah I didn't do the coatings precisely for that reason, lol. I know it would be nice to have the thermal barrier, especially on the piston tops so I could run tighter tolerances due to the amount of thermal expansion being a little less, but it wasn't worth the risk in my eyes, ha ha. I didn't do the bearings, because of two reasons. Money being the first (they wanted a good amount for the bearings, and I'm barely going to get this motor done as it is), and I was still on the fence as to whether I wanted to lose some of the embeddability (not sure if that's an actual word, lol) of the tri-metal bearings, due to the surface hardening on the bearings after wpc. And I couldn't find out any information whether that was an issue in the first place. Money was the main reason though...

Comment

I can relate... looking at an SR build now and it seems like everytime you mention something its another $100 the machine shop etc is sticking to you.

Comment

Tell me about it, ha ha. I have around $3300 wrapped up in just the bare short block pictured in post #61. It was $1300 for the machine work, bearings, and labor to install the rotating assembly and scraper alone. Sucks... lol

Comment

Yesterday I didn't get a lot done mainly because I also bought a new tool box and was dividing my time getting that sorted and working on the motor, lol. Anyways, here are a couple pics of the progress:

S14 oil pickup installed. This was a big PITA with the scraper in the way...

I got the cylinder head torqued down on an Apexi HG with ARP head studs. I'm always nervous torquing these, ha ha. Cams are also installed with the rest of the timing gear and CAS.

Comment

Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
                      and I was still on the fence as to whether I wanted to lose some of the embeddability (not sure if that's an actual word, lol) of the tri-metal bearings, due to the surface hardening on the bearings after wpc. And I couldn't find out any information whether that was an issue in the first place. Money was the main reason though...
                      It was my understanding that bearings should never actually touch anything, so I don't know what kind of "embedding" they would be doing. WPC treatment allows more oil to be retained between the bearing and crank/rod, therefore lessening the likelihood of contact.
                      Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

It also surface hardens the bearings. If and when the chance of small particles getting in between the bearing and crank, the tri-metal bearings will embed the particle in the bearing surface rather than pushing it out and damaging the surface of crank and/or bearing. With the bearing surface hardened from the WPC treatment, it will make it harder for the particle to embed.

Comment

Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
                          It also surface hardens the bearings. If and when the chance of small particles getting in between the bearing and crank, the tri-metal bearings will embed the particle in the bearing surface rather than pushing it out and damaging the surface of crank and/or bearing. With the bearing surface hardened from the WPC treatment, it will make it harder for the particle to embed.
                          Hmmmm, interesting. I didn't think about that. I don't know how I feel about that, haha.
                          Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

To be honest, I really don't know if it makes any difference in the end, it's just theory from me thinking too much... ha ha. In the end, I'm just running out of money. I've spent WAAAY too much on the engine as it is. Hundreds of good motors never wpc treated the bearings, so I don't think it's going to be the end of the world.

Comment

Here is my upper oil pan that had to be modified to fit the ARP mains and crank scraper.

Here is my progress by the end of today:

Comment

Got some more work done today. Turbo/Manifold combo is not bolted down tight, it's just on there so I can build turbo lines. I need a 45 degree AN fitting (ordered tonight) to finish that up so my lines are all set up. I'm now running an S14 water neck, so I was able to delete the hard line at the back of the head as well as the long SS line that wrapped around to the turbo from the hard line. I can also now run a normal heater hose to the heater core rather than the mickey mouse crap that most SRs run due to the hard line pointing the wrong way normally.

Comment

Working...
                                X