No announcement yet.

2_Liter_Turbo's 1992 240SX Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well here's the motor in all of its finished glory! It isn't super pretty, but it's running good so far! I'm hoping nothing else goes wrong with the valvetrain! Everything is shimmed correctly, and I have the correct cams installed! My plan is to put some miles on it over the next week or so, and then open the valve cover to make everything is good (I'll do a compression check too). If everything looks good, then I'll be making my appointment to get it tuned for power!

I also installed a new PTP Turbo Blanket:

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

• Where is that "like" button?

Oh wait, this isn't facebook.

Nice looking engine!
      http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Thanks! Lol

96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

• Took the car out for a few pictures. I haven't been able to do this in a LONG time! lol. Washed it up even... it's been years! Tune was moved to Tuesday, and it's ready I hope!

Comment

• Nice & clean!
            Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
            TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

• Sweet! Looking forward to the results

Comment

• I'll post the details and the story of today, tomorrow after work, but here's a picture to peak some interest... lol

Comment

• So I showed up at English Racing yesterday morning at 9 a.m. They get started and find out that the shop that did the AEM wiring for me, didn't wire in the wideband o2 into the ECU. So that took a bit extra, they also wired in a switch for switchable maps (more on that later). So we got it on the dyno and after the basic stuff they went to turn up the boost. Well, the boost control solenoid was wired in wrong also, ha ha. So more time to fix mistakes. Started putting down more boost and power and we were getting some weird phantom knocks, when the motor really wasn't knocking. Turns out, the Evo knock sensor was also installed incorrectly (further back and closer to the head than the stock location), so he had to tune pretty conservatively for now, and when I get the knock sensor installed right, I'll be going back so we can get a better tune ironed out. Was happy with the work from English, would definitely recommend them to my fellow Nissan enthusiasts (before my car, they were working on a 1200 awhp GTR... lol), and I liked the tuning ethics they had (matched what I cared about).

Ok, now the switch. I got to California all the time (family), so I wanted a CA safe tune for when I drive the car down there (CA has the worst "high octane" gas in the country). However, I didn't want to be limited by that, so the other tune is for our high octane gas

The 403whp tune is with 91 octane CA pump gas (I drove down and brought up 12 gallons just for that purpose!). Ran on average about 17 psi.

I was running low on 92, so we had to put in a gallon of C16 for the 465whp tune. The tune is meant for 92, but until we get the knock sensor in correctly, I wont be running that tune on 92... just to be safe. On average, this tune was around 20psi.

Here's a stand alone pic of the 465 tune. The AFRs on the graph are about 1.5 higher than reality:

Car on the Dyno:

Left the shop at 8:30 p.m. It was a long day, lol. Front tire got a bubble in it also, so now I have to rock mismatched wheels for a bit until I get new tires (lame). Oh well, I'm just glad everything held together well (especially at 8,500rpm!). Car pulls pretty well now, low end feels like it used to, but the top end is there finally, which is what it really lacked!

Comment

• Sounds like a good shop to fix all the little things holding you back. That is a great way to earn your trust.
                    Chicago Region SCCA SM # 688 http://www.scca-chicago.com
                    TSSCC SM # 688 http://www.tsscc.org

Comment

• Yeah, I was pretty happy with them. They weren't cheap, but you get what you pay for like with anything else, lol.

Comment

• glad to see that you got it running and tuned. There's probably more to be had with furter tuning, but if it feels anything like my car you probably neither need more power or could stick it on the street. We found that even at 21 psi my knock sensor wasn't beginning to show anything when we were hitting 460 on 92.

Anyway, congratulations for getting it rolling.

Comment

• Thanks! I have an Evo knock sensor, which is way more sensitive than the Nissan ones, but it's good to have in the right spot, lol (it was installed up near the head at the rear of the block). The car has a really smooth powerband, and I only have trouble in first gear really. This is probably due to me running a low pressure WG spring, so the boost in mainly controlled by the solenoid/ecu. I'll be installing a stiffer spring right before I get back on the dyno, so my boost comes on a little faster.

Comment

• I'm jealous... Now I have to finish my car.
                            VVL S14 on KW's...

Comment

• ah from the looks of the turbo I may be wrong on the expected results: is that a GTX3071R, not 3076? If so, the results are consistent with what I would expect.

Secondly, one of the cool features of the AEM EMS v2 is that you can tune the knock sensor to be sensitive to a particular frequency. With different motor configurations and sensors, you can get false positives. My old built SR with stock lifters, Greddy valve springs, Ti retainers and Tomei cams made almost no noise on my knock sensor. The new built motor with HKS solid lifter valvetrain hovers at about 10 on my knock rating scale. It doesn't really go above that whether it is idling or on the rev limiter. My tuner said I should sell my MAP based Power FC and get an AEM EMS so we could tune the knock sensor and go for 500+ on pump gas.

Also, I just uninstalled my Exedy triple disc clutch (rated for 1600 ft pounds of torque. If you want it I will make you a deal!), and installed an ACT 10.5 lb lightweight flywheel and ACT Xtreme 6 puck sprung hub clutch. Man is it easier to drive than the triple plate, but the pedal is epic heavy (576 lbs of torque rated for a single plate).

Anybody have any suggestions for z32 transmissions? The first one I bought had a compromised bearing and the second one has a compromised fourth gear synchro. Fortunately the second one I bought has a warranty, but I find myself really wishing there was an aftermarket heavy duty z32 trans setup that could be purchased and then I could be done with it.
                              Last edited by Seraphim38; 05-05-2013, 05:16 PM.

Comment

• The turbo is a twin scroll GT3071R I bought in 2008 or early 2009. And when I bought the AEM, it was literally like within a week of the release of the V2. It's been a long build, I've been scraping together parts/money a little bit at a time, lol. I wish I had the disposable income to get all the latest and greatest, ha ha. Not saying you have that kind of income at all, just explaining why I don't have the more updated stuff

Comment

Working...
                                X