X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PoorMans180SX
    replied
    Originally posted by 2_Liter_Turbo View Post
    and I was still on the fence as to whether I wanted to lose some of the embeddability (not sure if that's an actual word, lol) of the tri-metal bearings, due to the surface hardening on the bearings after wpc. And I couldn't find out any information whether that was an issue in the first place. Money was the main reason though...
    It was my understanding that bearings should never actually touch anything, so I don't know what kind of "embedding" they would be doing. WPC treatment allows more oil to be retained between the bearing and crank/rod, therefore lessening the likelihood of contact.

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Yesterday I didn't get a lot done mainly because I also bought a new tool box and was dividing my time getting that sorted and working on the motor, lol. Anyways, here are a couple pics of the progress:

S14 oil pickup installed. This was a big PITA with the scraper in the way...

I got the cylinder head torqued down on an Apexi HG with ARP head studs. I'm always nervous torquing these, ha ha. Cams are also installed with the rest of the timing gear and CAS.

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Tell me about it, ha ha. I have around $3300 wrapped up in just the bare short block pictured in post #61. It was $1300 for the machine work, bearings, and labor to install the rotating assembly and scraper alone. Sucks... lol

Leave a comment:

• Def
    replied
    I can relate... looking at an SR build now and it seems like everytime you mention something its another $100 the machine shop etc is sticking to you.

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Yeah I didn't do the coatings precisely for that reason, lol. I know it would be nice to have the thermal barrier, especially on the piston tops so I could run tighter tolerances due to the amount of thermal expansion being a little less, but it wasn't worth the risk in my eyes, ha ha. I didn't do the bearings, because of two reasons. Money being the first (they wanted a good amount for the bearings, and I'm barely going to get this motor done as it is), and I was still on the fence as to whether I wanted to lose some of the embeddability (not sure if that's an actual word, lol) of the tri-metal bearings, due to the surface hardening on the bearings after wpc. And I couldn't find out any information whether that was an issue in the first place. Money was the main reason though...

Leave a comment:

• Def
    replied
    Yea I know what it is, I think that's the terminology MotoIQ does.

You didn't do the bearings? That's where it seems like it'd be the best place.

What about thermal barrier coatings? The piston tops seem to be the best place, and maybe combustion chamber/valve faces, but I've seen lots of reports of the coating (of all types) failing and flaking off. Not a huge deal in an NA engine as long as it doesn't score cylinder walls, but on a turbo the turbine wheel will NOT be happy.

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Lol, are you talking about the WPC treating? It was just over $300 for the pistons, oil pump hardware and rocker arms. And it's not a coating, lol, it's a type of shot peening process.
    Last edited by 2_Liter_Turbo; 06-18-2011, 08:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Def
    replied
    How much did that lusturous milky coating cost you?

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    By the end of last night I got a few things done. I should get a ton done today!

Oil Pump Prior to assembly:

Timing hardware installed:

Timing cover, water pump and crank pulley lightly installed. Torquing down after "red death" drys, lol. The crank pulley will get torqued when the head is installed along with the rest of the timing gear.

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Picked up my bottom end today! All the machine work is finished, crank is in with the scraper, Scat rods, CP Pistons (WPC treated), ARP mains and ACL race bearings. I'll have lots of updates over the next couple weeks! Couple pics before I start working on it:

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Well after a few issues with Nissan getting my shims, I finally got the last 3 today, so I installed them and now the solid lifters are all in spec! Waiting on a new hardware kit I ordered (all new bolts for the motor) to do the last couple finishing touches on the cylinder head. Going to do an S13/4 valve cover conversion as well, waiting for my paycheck before sending that out. Other than that, I'm just waiting on the block to get out of the machine shop!

Leave a comment:

• Sleepy_Steve
    replied
    Progress looks great.

I wonder if anyone makes test shims for a KA... Such a novel idea, I'll bet they dont.

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Did a little work on it last week after work:

Ordered a new set of Tomei test shims

Grabbed my WPC treated (and modified for solid lifters) rocker arms

Cylinder Head

Installed test shims and rocker arms

Installed cams to spec

I then checked the clearances for all the valves, did the math, and ordered the needed shims to have .13mm of gap between the rocker arms and cams. Had to order 10 of the 16 shims from Tomei, the rest from Nissan. Waiting on those and my new cam cap bolts, and the head should be ready to go.

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Got my head back from the machine shop. Got it resurfaced. They used a PCBN cutter setup (which is basically a diamond cutter) to get a decent finish to seal with a metal headgasket.

They also installed my Supertech dual valve springs (I don't have a valve spring compressor), new OEM valve seals, and other spring hardware. They also cleaned it up a bit. Going to clean it some more before I install of course.

Now I'm waiting for my test shims to get here (hopefully this week) so I can see what sizes I need to order to get the proper clearances for the Tomei solid lifters.

Leave a comment:

• 2_Liter_Turbo
    replied
    Originally posted by o1roadkingrider View Post
    Nice thread. Clean car too. Not sure why you called it a turd, but it looks great in the shots at the start.
    Thanks! Cameras are kind to this car, lol. In person, it really shows how terrible the body is. Not sure if I'll eventually swap everything over to a new chassis or do the work to clean this one up. I'll just play it by ear, ha ha.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X