Replica Seats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replica Seats.

Thought I'd ask here to see if anyone really knows before I continue diving into the millions of back and forth arguments all over other forums. Are the replica bride seats that litter the market unsafe in a wreck? I know they haven't been FIA tested and all that jazz. However, from an engineering standpoint are they unsafe when it comes to being involved in a wreck?
    - '93 S13 (the long awaited fun machine)
    - '05 E46 (the S13 fund evaporator)

Yes.

Full stop.

The OEM testing standard is actually MUCH MUCH more stringent than any FIA standard, so regardless of FIA testing, the fact that NO BRIDE KNOCKOFF seat has gone through any such testing, I would say they have as good a chance of not turning into a paperclip during an accident as cockroach getting hit by the Titanic and surviving......

Comment

Does the seat even see much load in a typical impact that doesn't have a bent chassis hitting the seat?

If that scenario does happen, no "crash testing" is going to keep it together. It's going to pull the bonded bits out of the shell in a hurry.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Your life is only worth as much as your safety equipment. How much do you think you are worth?

For a street car, the FIA rating isn't necessary, but a properly constructed seat is. take a look at the build quality of knockoff seats-- there's plenty of reviews out there-- and hopefully you'll decide the $500 savings is not worth dying over.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Thank you guys for the swift responses. Those are the responses I already figured I would get. I just wanted to ask here because it seems like all of the google research I was doing on the topic was merely an argument between the "Wannabee" and "name brand everything" crowds that didn't really seem to go anywhere. My primary concern is my safety with out a doubt and I wont risk that over saving money. I was merely curious if from an engineering stand point there was much of a difference since both the real thing and the copies are made of fiberglass. Thanks for the input gentlemen, now I can stop wondering.
          Last edited by mischief; 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM.
          - '93 S13 (the long awaited fun machine)
          - '05 E46 (the S13 fund evaporator)

Comment

For safety gear, real thing only. For body parts, buy whatever cheapo knockoff fenders you want. they're not going to save your life in a wreck.

The big name racing seats- Sparco, Recaro, Cobra, Kirkey, Butler, etc all invest big dollars into R&D. The knockoffs just copy the stuff enough to get the same general shape with little to no regard for safety and design.
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Qsd4-8IMo

Comment

Working...
              X