Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GTX 2860r, is this a better disco potato that can boost a lot more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTX 2860r, is this a better disco potato that can boost a lot more?

Having trouble speaking to a rep from Garrett. Trying to find out the difference between my S15 turbo and the GTX 2860r. Is it worth the upgrade? Always was a fan of the disco potato. Is that turbo like a better version of a disco but can boost a lot more? Because that sounds awesome. Trying to get the most responsive turbo for 350 whp. I heard this turbo can boost 30psi. Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Burgy240sx; 02-02-2022, 08:20 AM.

EFR 6258 is easily the most responsive turbo that'll do that power level on a 4 banger. No Garrett turbo is going to come close given how much less inertia the EFR CHRA has.

An SR or KA is going to need at least mild cams to reliably hit 350 rwhp.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Thanks for the reply DEF. Yeah I was just looking at some other posts where you were talking about your EFR 7163 t4 top mount twin scroll setup. That sounds pretty sweet. So I guess you went with the internal wastegate? Did you get a lot of boost creep? Is there a reason you didn't weld it up and go external?

Comment

No boost creep at all. It was actually hard with a 3 port and the hi boost actuator to keep the boost flat to redline at higher boost.

The whole advantage of an EFRs internal gate is it’s a high flowing fully divided internal gate that is maintenance free. Not sure why you’d ever weld it up. It’s nothing like the crappy internal gate design on Garrett GT25/28 turbos.

Comment

My buddy's gen2 gtx2860 crept a lot until he ported the gate quite a bit. Miata application.

Comment

Okay cool. Yeah I had a Garrett that would get pretty bad boost creep, so I was thinking about going external but if the EFRs have a better design then that makes sense to use it.

Comment

The EFR stuff is far far superior over the old GT28 stuff IMO.

before stuff went nuts I could get an EFR 6758 T4 IWG for around $1500 complete. The T25 housing would probably be a tad cheaper. Hit me up if you’re interested. I’ve never seen someone disappointed with An EFR if they had reasonable power expectation (the 1000 rwhp Supra guys seem to be the big ones not liking them due to size limitations).

I wonder if you could take a stock SR manifold and weld a T4 divided flange on it and port it out to work. I did that on my stock divided 3S-GTE manifold and it worked great.

Comment

My power goal is 350-400 whp. But I am trying to build a responsive and mid range set up for road racing. I grew up in the mountains and the car did really well with the torquey s14 manifold and s15 turbo turned up. Compared to some higher powered cars. I really just want to maximize my midrange but not sure if you took that to it's fullest potential, what the power numbers would look like. Maybe a stroker kit would be required but with the setup you described with the twin scroll, it sounded like what I am aiming for. Anyway I hadn't really heard about the EFR stuff before so it's cool hearing about the different options.
                Last edited by Burgy240sx; 05-01-2022, 03:37 PM. Reason: Premature post

Comment

EFR lineup is far superior to Garrett’s for response. They won’t make the huge numbers you can get out of a Garrett with super high shaft speeds, but there’s no getting away from a turbine wheel that weighs half as much being much easier to spin up.

Comment

Working...
                  X