Current S13 options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current S13 options

Lots of reading has been done. A lot of info is somewhat old which is fine, but makes it difficult to find any new options. I'm in Canada and for reference the most demanding track Ill be visiting is Canadian Tire Motorsports Park.

I currently have the
    30mm iron z32 front calipers
    stock rear s13 calipers
    automatic stock 92 brake booster/master
    215/40/17 r comps - will end up at the classic 255 setup at some point and time.
    stock sr20det with gt2871 sitting on my desk to be installed once needed.
    Just lapping for fun racing my own times. Longer I can stay on the track without brake fade the better but currently works out 20min on 20min off

I'm currently trying to get z32 rear brake set up. And planned the sentra booster and 17/16th master. It's difficult to find oem master which I would prefer. Regardless I need new rotor and pads all around

What are my options? I would love to go wilwood setup but the cost is not justifiable for something properly put together (core4 setup, i'd love to see other options as well). Performance wise as well I don't think i have anywhere near enough seat time to properly use that setup to its capability and won't for a good while.

I have been looking and it seems there are a few rotor upgrade options. I think the ideal setup for myself and skill would ideally be the z32 with larger rotors. It seems common to find front rotor upgrades, but there is nothing for the rear. I'm also aware of the CTS V caliper option but can't find any actual info from a track perspective of how well balanced it would be for the my s13.

So! Give me some options that you personally have used or tested! Looking for best bang for buck option using what I have. I'm open to a new setup all together but end of day I think the price point will make that difficult.

Thanks, hopefully i haven't missed any information!

Z32 is fine though I think the reman calipers are getting shittier as the years pass. PBM makes their own version of z32 caliper now but no direct experience.

You didn't say what pads you're on, but it sounds like you need some better pads -- DTC-60s or something that's a dedicated track pad.

Comment

Current pads are unknown. I'll need pads that work on the street as the car is driven as much as possible on the road. Ill look into DTC-60s. I'll pair them with whatever half decent cheap blank rotor I can find.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

Originally posted by blank View Post
        Current pads are unknown. I'll need pads that work on the street as the car is driven as much as possible on the road. Ill look into DTC-60s. I'll pair them with whatever half decent cheap blank rotor I can find.

Thanks for the input!

Hey Blank, I'm the Core4 guy. Z32 stuff will likely be your most cost effective option. No direct experience with CTSV stuff, but I'd guess that your balance will get thrown off if you don't do your homework. You can get into my front kit that uses the off the shelf Z33 track model rotor with a Wilwood caliper for pretty cheap. You can get Centric C-Tek rotors for like $40 a piece and have a Wilwood caliper with cheaper and larger pads. This will work well with Z32 rears. You can piece meal stuff from my kits. Just contact me directly if that interests you and I'll try to help you out.

Many people recommend them, but I've grown to dislike Hawk DTC pads (60+). They are too aggressive and have too much initial bite, although they (and many other companies) market lots of initial bite as being a good thing. You will want to kill yourself on the street with them. Paired with a setup that is already notorious for touchy brakes and poor modulation, they simply just don't pair well with our cars IMO. I ran DTC60 front, DTC30 rear on my S13 with a full Z32 setup (S13 non-ABS booster, 1" Z32 BMC) and if you breathed on the pedal they would grab hard. They were also very loud when cold.

I highly recommend using specific pads meant for the street on the street, and for the track on the track. Just swap them out before you head out to the track. Spray the rotor surface with some brake clean and wipe with a scotch brite pad when you go to swap to track pads. Then at the track in your first session gradually build speed and once the pads are at full temp the pad transfer "crossover" of the track pads will occur.
        Core4 Motorsports
        CLICK HERE for Wilwood FSL6R Radial Bracket & Rear Wilwood BBK GROUP BUY
        S14 VQ AER Endurance Racing Team

Comment

That was my point, though I didn't make it clear -- dedicated track pads and dedicated street pads.

If you don't know what the pad is it's probably not meant for the track and stands to reason it won't last.

Comment

Ah, good call. I'll keep that in mind.

In my search I found https://www.hfm.parts/ for a new brake master. After searching on this forum it seems OEM is ideal, but they have stopped making them. I don't want to get on from rockauto just to have it leak.
            They also have brackets for larger rotors but it seems there is nothing made for z32 on s13 rear rotor upgrades....maybe one day lol.

Stock z32 with good pads is what I will end up running. Shame they don't make z32 backing plates anymore besides getting some JDM ones...
            Thanks for the input guys. Maybe ill just end up splurging in the off season and end up with something better =P

Comment

DIFtech sells a 17/16" master that looks to the good cap design relative to the Centric one. It's not cheap, but I like most of DIFtech parts so I would probably trust it (and at least have some customer service on the back end): https://diftech.com/products/tokico-...for-240sx-1308

No direct experience but I've had bad luck with any of the modern Centric masters leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by e1_griego View Post
                DIFtech sells a 17/16" master that looks to the good cap design relative to the Centric one. It's not cheap, but I like most of DIFtech parts so I would probably trust it (and at least have some customer service on the back end): https://diftech.com/products/tokico-...for-240sx-1308

No direct experience but I've had bad luck with any of the modern Centric masters leaking.
                So that was an option. The person I deal with that sells diftech told me to avoid it and won't get it for me.

I have yet to check, but I hope to find a rebuild kit for an OEM unit and then hunt one down. I've also been told I could find a RHD unit which would mean i could keep my lines away from the turbo...I just have to find info to confirm these units are the same and not completely different (from R33 i think).

Comment

Fair enough. That cap style works better than Centric.

I didn't realize the OEMs were discontinued...

Comment

Working...
                  X