Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throwing on the 8610's and first impressions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwing on the 8610's and first impressions...

Another interesting thing is how thick the Silkroad springs are in comparison to the almost twice as stiff Eibach springs.
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Throwing on the 8610's and first impressions...

Well, I thought I'd start a new thread once I got to putting it all on the car... about damn time . I only did the fronts today, the rears I'm saving for tomorrow or Sunday. One quick comparison of the Silkroads to the Koni setup... The drivers side bolted up... I did lower the collar about 4 turns from where you see it now. The springs are 550lb 6" springs that I traded for about 1 month back. And here's the car about 1.5" lower in the front... I knocked the front struts in as far as I could and it looks like I'm sitting at just under 2 degrees of camber. Clearance from tire to spring is now about 22mm, so plenty of inboard room for a bigger wheel/tire combo. I started by turning the dampeners to 1.5 turns and left it at that for now. The short ride I took felt great, for 550lb springs, they kill the Silkroad coilovers with 330lb springs on the front. It sucks up the small and big bumps easily. The only place you can tell it's stiffer is on smaller stuff at slow speeds, like going over the rolled curbing to our back alleyway. I can't wait till I get the rears on and can take the car out for some funner rides...
    -Monty

Comment

Looking good man, I can't wait to get my hands on these once Veilside180sx is done with the next batch. As for the front top hats, is there no other way around using the rubber spacers?

Comment

Monty's issues with the top hats are largely due to us using the Tein camber plates for his. I'm working on some camber plates of my own that will use a user replaceable 5/8" bearing that will match the Koni shaft. (no need for the rubber isolator setup)

Comment

Yeah, there are far easier routes to go than mine... as always! Using a cusco/stillen camber plate with a standard bearing size and that can accept a typical tophat would have been helpful. Another easy solutions is the one that PJ took, use the remains of some blown out coilover setup... he used his D2's IIRC. The last would be to let Richard build you a camber plate, and let him figure out the small details ; -)
          -Monty

Comment

Good thing I've got 2 different set of camber plates (Cusco and Project mu) to play with. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Comment

I used the GC top hat made for the 240sx front, with a washer and the bump stop to retain it. Threw some spacers on it to clear the spherical bearing and allow for some free tilt, and called it a day. The reason you feel more stuff at low speeds is the valving. At low piston speeds you get more damping force, and with the digressive damping curve, there's more "give" at high speeds. The feel you have for bumps at low speeds is pretty much the same characteristic that gives your car more control during turn-in and transition.

Comment

Originally posted by WilloW
                Good thing I've got 2 different set of camber plates (Cusco and Project mu) to play with. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
                Not to gum up this thread but can you measure the ID of the bearings on both of those plates?

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole
                  The reason you feel more stuff at low speeds is the valving. At low piston speeds you get more damping force, and with the digressive damping curve, there's more "give" at high speeds. The feel you have for bumps at low speeds is pretty much the same characteristic that gives your car more control during turn-in and transition.
                  Agreed... actually, the feel is very similiar to riding in Brians STI on the ohlins over the rougher sections of road. You're expecting this suspension jarring hit, and it's just a well dampened thud . down low or at higher speeds, the Silkroads can't hold a candle to these... and I have to wait till next March to get the car on the track
                  -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx
                    Not to gum up this thread but can you measure the ID of the bearings on both of those plates?
                    Sure, give me a day or two to dig it out of my part pile. Unfortunately I could only measure the Project mu plates since I've already installed the Cusco on my car. What I could tell you is that they're exactly the same ID, I know because I was playing with them not too long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx
                      Sure, give me a day or two to dig it out of my part pile. Unfortunately I could only measure the Project mu plates since I've already installed the Cusco on my car. What I could tell you is that they're exactly the same ID, I know because I was playing with them not too long ago.
                      Cool, just let me know when you do

Comment

Seems like I hit a small snag tonight... part of what comes with buying 2nd hand I guess. The rear pillowmounts don't seem to be for an S13, maybe an S14?!? I found the right one at FRSport.com for 129 and am making the order right now. I tried to just use the Silkroad setup, but the shaft diameters are different.
                        -Monty

Comment

Is it me or are you using the front top mount for the rear and vice versa? o.O Anyways, let me know if you wanna sell those S14 top mounts :-P

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole
                            Is it me or are you using the front top mount for the rear and vice versa? o.O Anyways, let me know if you wanna sell those S14 top mounts :-P
                            The correct ones are ordered and hopefully will be shipping today or tomorrow. How does $115 shipped sound... never used ; - P
                            -Monty

Comment

Cost breakdown: (a few have asked for this )

-Koni 8610-1436RACE inserts, fronts (price may vary) --- $330 <-- can be purchased through Richard
                              -Koni yellow sports, rears --- $200 <-- same source as above
                              -Custom 86XX housings, front --- $350 <--- Richard
                              -Tein camber plates & pillowmounts --- $280 <-- FRsport.com
                              -Ground Control kit --- $400 <--- might want to deal with GC on this one and ask for a rubber tophat for the G20, this is the one that I got. Also ask for a rear tophat with a 18-20mm I.D.
                              -Misc bearings from Mcmaster Carr --- $20

Total, your looking at around $1500 (all new parts) plus the cost of shipping for some of these and any other misc pieces you need to find on the way. You can cut costs by purchasing used and looking for good deals if your patient.
                              Last edited by McCoy; 01-05-2008, 06:04 PM.
                              -Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X