KW Clubsports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KW Clubsports

So what does everyone think about these. I have read nothing but good things about them on all the other cars. This may be another option for us. Discus
    TEAM FAIL RACING

I run KW variant 3's on my DD mr2 spyder, they're comfortable and ride well, with enough adjustment to get me pretty fast times at my local auto-x. I actually wish they made the club sports for my toyota, as the var 3's are actually on the soft side regarding spring rates, but the damping control seems pretty good.

Before I came to this site I was in the market for the KW suspension for the s14, but no one made them... I don't like most of the JdM TyT3 suspensions, as most are very overrated, and found richards solution very appealing. For the money, I think the kw's are pretty good but richards coil overs, while slightly more pricey have better hardware.

Comment

My take, having never owned KW's, is that they should be very good. On basically every other car, no one dislikes them. On some cars they're near the best. But no one that uses them on s14's posts on the internet, so no one really knows.

I encourage you to buy them, and measure them and post pics of them and tell us what you think! hehe

Comment

IIRC they use lower end koni dampers...i think 8611s are very likely superior. perhaps an ok option for those who shy away fromthe diy nature of richard's 86xx setups
        ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
        ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Well I was able to score a set of Clubsports for my S13 for $1900 shipped brand new in box. So its worth a shot. From what I have read they use their own damper, not koni's. I was planning on doing Richard's housing, but I really don't like how the strut can spin inside the housing, just personal opinion. Being able to run more tire with richars's housings would have been nice, but for the money I couldn't pass them up. I will let you guys know what I think of them, although all I have to compare them to is some bunk Tein superdrifts coilovers(they came on the car, I didn't buy them).
          TEAM FAIL RACING

Comment

Post up pics and measurements when you get them. I'm curious to see where they wound up putting things.
            Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Originally posted by No Rotr View Post
              Well I was able to score a set of Clubsports for my S13 for $1900 shipped brand new in box. So its worth a shot. From what I have read they use their own damper, not koni's. I was planning on doing Richard's housing, but I really don't like how the strut can spin inside the housing, just personal opinion. Being able to run more tire with richars's housings would have been nice, but for the money I couldn't pass them up. I will let you guys know what I think of them, although all I have to compare them to is some bunk Tein superdrifts coilovers(they came on the car, I didn't buy them).
              I'm a little bit lost on how you think the strut can spin inside the housing on Richard's 86xx housings?

You do realize that gland nuts are very very common on many OEM struts, just like these housings use? In fact, the 86xx are direct replacements on tons of car's OEM strut housings, which is why there were made to the dimensions they are for IT racing.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

KW does own a seven pole machine... This apparently helps tremendously with the research/design spectrum of suspension design.

My friend who runs a Viper ACR likes the KWs a lot.
                Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
                http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                  My friend who runs a Viper ACR has a lot of disposable income.
                  fixed

Comment

I have a pair of KW V3 for S14. I purchased the last S14 pair (Still had some S13's a few months back) that Peak Performance had KW up the spring rates to 8KG/6KG and re-valve to match the clubsports.

Apparently they did this to get the more aggressive clubsport performance for the V3 price. Only negative is they did not come with camber plates.

If you already have V3's you should be able to send them to KW for re-valving for a more aggressive spring and damping. The only difference between V3 and Clubsport is the Clubsport is valved and sprung more aggressively and they come with spherical bearing adjustable camberplates. Running non-OEM upper mounts on V2 or V3 does void the warranty.

One common concern is the length of the housing only allowing for limited lowering. The housings are definitely on the short aftermarket side. I'll eventually post the full dimensions with pictures.

I have not yet installed them as I have to finish the engine swap on the S14 first.

I've also talked with the KW marketing guy that is at all the FD events. One cool thing I learned is the inverted KW race struts for some font applications like S13/S14 use a custom bearing design on the stanchions for very low stiction.

The 204sx race setup is $7000 but you work directly with their motorsports department, fill out a detailed specification sheet, and they custom build them to spec with their recommendations. They do not recommend the race kits for street use as they use galvanized steel bodies and different seals that require more frequent rebuilding. Plus - if you spending the time and $ to get the race kit they better be valved and sprung for race tires!

I'll be sure to post up a report when I finally get the S14 working this season.

FWIW my buddies with an '02 STX WRX are multiple time SCCA national champions and they love their KW's.

S14 V3 Manual PDF

S14 Clubsport Manual PDF

Race Kit Order Form PDF

Manuals for the retail kits can be found by going to the online shop, looking up the model desired, and then clicking in the manual link.

http://www.kw-suspension.com/flexshop/
                    Last edited by Umai Kakudo; 01-08-2009, 08:32 AM.
                    The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

Originally posted by Umai Kakudo View Post
                      The 204sx race setup is $7000
                      Geez. Does it suck you off after every race?

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
                        Geez. Does it suck you off after every race?
                        Probably not.

But Monica and other groupies might be more obliged to do so once you do win the race and what not
                        http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

How much does it cost to revalve a set of KWs?
                          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
                            fixed

If I had the money, I would not hesitate to buy one.

I had a friend call KW due to me being on deployment and get the spring rate information on the Clubsports. He said that two models came up under the Clubsport part number (35285804) for the 89-94 240sx. One was a standard, the other a clubsport. The spring rates are:

Front: 340 standrad, 465 clubsport
                            Rear: 230 standard, 285 clubsport

I could not find the info online, so this should help anybody looking to purchase KWs. I was looking into the clubsports, but chris ended up selling his 8611 setup for a very good price.
                            Last edited by Cory; 01-08-2009, 03:41 PM.
                            Cory B.

"Driving a race car as fast as possible is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction."
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/nissanfanatic240

Comment

Originally posted by Cory View Post
                              If I had the money, I would not hesitate to buy one.
                              I wouldn't either.

Comment

Working...
                              X