Bilstein's on S13's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilstein's on S13's

I had pm'd ecugrad a lil while ago when i was experiencing problems with setting up my bilsteins for my S13. the first problem i ran into was that the 3kgt insert would not even fit inside the S13 housing. I had bought them from someone online who had already cut the perch off and emptied the guts. So i resorted to getting some S14 housings from the junkyard and cut those up. Not too bad and the insert went in but a few burrs on the inside (where the perch was welded to the strut tube) is keeping me from getting the other insert in. i think i can fix that problem. My latest issue is that when i got the insert down in the tube it seems to only show a couple threads out the bottom, not enough for me to get the bottom nut on the insert. i went back and took a closer look at the writeup and it looks as if the bottom of the strut tube is modified differently?

^^ That was ecugrad's

^^That is my problem

some insight would be great.

Drill the hole larger, basically removing that raised section. Then use a large washer under the nut.

Comment

Originally posted by jmauld View Post
      Drill the hole larger, basically removing that raised section. Then use a large washer under the nut.

Go in small steps. You could also tighten the bolt to pull the Bilstein into the housing.

Dont feel bad about the burrs, on one of mine I had a TERRIBLE time getting the damn thing in all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by ecugrad
        Dont feel bad about the burrs, on one of mine I had a TERRIBLE time getting the damn thing in all the way.
        Well that makes me feel better. the way you put it in your writeup, you made it sound like it slid right in. LOL I'll get this figured out yet. I'm on my way there. My 300zx rears just came in today and i can start to put those together as well. thanks for all your help so far. this forum is a godsend.

Comment

Bilsteins are sex! Please post up the specifics of your set-up and a full write-up if you can.
          function > form
          1990 240sx fastback: IN PROGRESS

Comment

I am slowly dieing inside because I can't build my suspension, haha. I have a few job prospects so as soon as I get employed again I'm ordering my bilsteins! Good luck, it should go smoothly once you get them into the housings.

Comment

Originally posted by racepar1 View Post
              Bilsteins are sex! Please post up the specifics of your set-up and a full write-up if you can.
              Don't worry guys i'll do so when i get there. I am in the beginning stages as of right now. lil bit of trial and error, like ecugrad did.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruff Ryder 6 View Post
                Well that makes me feel better. the way you put it in your writeup, you made it sound like it slid right in. LOL I'll get this figured out yet. I'm on my way there.
                One slid right in, one fought me the entire way.

Keep at it, you will get it figured out. If it were easy, everyone would do it.

Comment

I still can't believe that I haven't seen another set of S14 bilsteins posted on ebay in over a year. For a while they were getting posted about once a month.

Comment

This is what i have come up with so far with the rears. they are 300zx struts and i have 0700.250.400 Eibach springs on them at the moment. they also have a set of hypercoil helper springs, that i sniped off ebay for $0.99

I only have one set of the metal tophats that came with my GC kit (which was for a Mitsu Eclipse) what came with the other ones was a sort of rubber upper mount? is it ok to use the rubber mount in the rear and use the metal ones up front? if not then did we ever decide the best option for front top hats that weren't from ground control? i know the T^3 and the Vorshlag's had been tossed around a bit. let me know what you guys think.
                    and feel free to tell me if i'm doing it wrong

Comment

Are those Cusco upper mounts? I am going to be running the Cusco front camber plates and was going to pick up a pair of the rear upper mounts as well - I'm just curious as to how easy they go on.

Comment

actually they aren't Cusco's. i got those from DeluboZ on ebay, along with a set for the front. i think they were meant to be used with the stock springs because the seat is slightly larger than 2.5" so i put a top hat on them to make them fit a lil better. the size of the bearing is the same size as the strut on the fronts, so i won't need a reducer or whatever like the koni guys need.

Comment

I think the ring on the plates is for a 70mm ID spring, which some JDM coilovers use. So I guess they ripped off some design that used that. Articulating top hats are a good thing though, always use 'em.
                          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by ecugrad View Post

Go in small steps. You could also tighten the bolt to pull the Bilstein into the housing.

ok so i am still running into an issue. i don't know if it's just the housings that i have but my problem with the fronts is that i still can't get enough thread onto the bottom nut. The inserts are all the way bottomed out on the housing and i have tried grinding down the hump and enlarging the hole, only to find out that when i place a washer there, it has the same number of threads as before. some more pics of your setups if you have them would be great. thanks guys.

Comment

So is it a bolt you thread into the strut, or a stud on the strut you put a nut on?

It helps to put a very light coat of grease on the insert and hold the strut as you lightly bang the housing on the ground if it's getting hung up.
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                              X