Spare some help on prepping OE strut housing for koni insert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare some help on prepping OE strut housing for koni insert

I'm modifying my OE strut housings to accept koni inserts, and I have a question. How much should I cut off the top of the stock oe body to allow the innards out? The instructions online (as well koni tech) both say you just have to measure the insert (with the tech citing production tolerances as being too big to have a solid #), but I don't have the inserts yet.

I've cut off almost 1 cm worth of stuff, but the innards are not budging at all, makes me think if there's something else that's holding it in. I could go by trial/error, but I'm working by myself without a work bench or help with a big clumsy pipe cutter (and it really is a good, albeit frustrating, arm/torso/leg/foot work out), so any help from those that've done this could potentially save me alot of time and awkward, cramp-inducing cutting postures. TIA.

Buy a $10 hacksaw, it doesn't have to be an exact straight cut. You'll do best by measuring the actual damper though. I don't have any OEM ones here to measure, so I'm of little help.
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
      Buy a $10 hacksaw, it doesn't have to be an exact straight cut. You'll do best by measuring the actual damper though. I don't have any OEM ones here to measure, so I'm of little help.
      The pipe cutter isn't that bad, it cuts alot faster than a hacksaw, although it does require me to use both hands and maybe a feet or two. main thing is I don't have a work bench or an extra pair of hands. From looking at it, the top of the strut tube is crimped inwards and it looks like that is what's holding the oe insert inside, but even with that cut off the insides just arent budging. I don't see how there can be something else that's restricting the insert's movement... I'm just gonna hammer this thing to hell tomorrow.

Comment

Keep in mind it's under some pressure. Drill a 1" hole into the bottom of the housing before trying to pull it off. It will help relieve some of the pressure.
        Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
          Keep in mind it's under some pressure. Drill a 1" hole into the bottom of the housing before trying to pull it off. It will help relieve some of the pressure.
          there's a 3mm hole in the bottom, through which I also tried to insert something so I can try to hammer it, that didn't really work either. at least I'm getting a work out out of this.

edit: I bolted on an old stock strut mount that I had and hammered that pretty hard but nothing so far, really feels like something else is holding it down. Calling it a night tongiht, back to work tomorrow.
          Last edited by heyyouduh; 08-28-2008, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Can you post a picture of what you have done so far?

The stock housings do have two little humps inside near the top that I think are there to center the piston. They have never given much resistance to me though.

Comment

Some pipe cutters will leave a lip around the edge of the pipe when the blades are dull. That lip could be holding the original insert in. Check for that...

When I cut my housings, I used an angle grinder with a cut off wheel on it. Cut each housing in about 3 minutes! Also if you're trying to cut a straight line (not that it matters 100% as Veilside has already said) take a hose clamp and tighten it around the body and cut along that.

Comment

I cut 1/2" more (total 1/2" BELOW the gray/black interface on the s14 strut), and that did the trick, where I originally cut was juussttt a bit too high on the strut body. however as Fickle said the pipe cutter left a small lip inside that I'll need to grind down. thanks guys.
                Last edited by heyyouduh; 08-29-2008, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Yeah Fickle Cycler is right, I used a pipe cutter too and it does leave a lip. It takes a bit of force to get the guts out after that.

Comment

Originally posted by killswitch View Post
                    Yeah Fickle Cycler is right, I used a pipe cutter too and it does leave a lip. It takes a bit of force to get the guts out after that.
                    Hey man glad to see you here. Yup it does leave a bit of lip, but nothing a little hammering and a file doesn't take care of.

Comment

I was wondering if that was you... hehe. I'll try to find pix of exactly how much I cut off on mine, maybe that'll help.

Comment

Hopefully that helps some.

Comment

Originally posted by killswitch View Post
                          Hopefully that helps some.
                          Mine look a little different. It wouldn't be so hard if I had a bench with a clamp. But I got a pretty good arm workout out of it so...

Comment

Working...
                          X