Rear koni with D2 upper mount install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear koni with D2 upper mount install

I installed some koni sport shocks on the rear of my S14 recently. I went with ground control sleeves and 440lb/in springs. Set came with aluminum upper spring seats front and rear. The rear is made to fit the oem rear upper mount and is different from most sleeve kit (QA1, Carerra) upper caps in that they are not conical, but flat.

I wasnt exactly sure how the D2 rear upper mounts would fit the koni/gc setup, but i was going to try to use them.

first problem- the D2 spring is 60mm ID, the ERS is 2.5" i could just let it be loose, fill the gap w/ tape or cut a peice of 2.5" OD steel pipe to fit, but i wondered if i could FLIP the upper mount, and use the GC rear upper spring seat as well.

I removed the studs and threaded back in from the topside to make the mount able to bolt on to the chassis upside down, though this was a little tough not to strip the allen heads (lots of PB blaster/wd40). Turns out the GC upper spring seat stacks up perfectly and centered.

Next problem- The top bit of the koni shock rod is both smaller diameter than the D2, and longer. I could make some sort of spacer for the center sleeve of the D2 upper mount, and stack washers, or use a different sleeve and make a nicer spacer for the top of the bushings, but i decided to look through my junk parts on hand.

Turns out i had some spare civic front upper mounts (92-95) and the bushings, sleeves, and washers fit the D2 upper mount AND koni perfectly, and reduces droop a bit.

Here's just one option for people that might want to use what they have laying around or keep costs down.

I have the shocks at 1.5 turns- 75% stiff. With the 440lb/in they feel slightly underdamped. I was worried they'd have a little less compression then desired, and they do, but not too bad. At 75% stiff rebound feels slightly too weak for a 440lb spring over big bumps- i dont know if they'd be better at 100% stiff or not-the wheels just may leave the ground at that point- nasty bumps can only get so good.

These konis made a HUGE improvement on the car vs the D2 (one was blown). One damper felt like it had a SPRING inside! The car had excessive oscillation before, tons of squat in the rear on power/corner exit, lifting rear inside wheels due to lack of droop travel, totally different on left/rights, and all of this is gone- replaced by a quick settling, very tight feel. We'll see how it ends up once the car sees some autocross time in the next couple weeks.
    Last edited by EG8steve; 09-03-2008, 09:39 AM.
    98' 240sx SM project
    93' civic sedan wdcr scca #96 SM
    92' civic Dx gas mileage monster

i stopped reading at some point. i used d2 things in the rear. just used washers to space the yellows out. then washer and nut

Most PM answers: F 17X9 +22, R 17X9 +35

Comment

Here are some pics of how the D2 upper rear mount (flipped) fits the Koni sport, with civic upper mount bushings/sleeve, and GC upper spring seat.

98' 240sx SM project
      93' civic sedan wdcr scca #96 SM
      92' civic Dx gas mileage monster

Comment

Working...
      X