Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Ohlins

Ok guys,

I just came across a deal that was too good to pass up on some Ohlins dampers. I was originally planning to ask for feedback on these before I purchased them to see what everyone thought of them, but this deal came up too fast for me to really do as much research as I would've liked to do(hope it doesn't come back to bite me).

I was basically looking for something that wouldn't be too stiff and would handle pretty good. I am not looking for an all-out competition coilover.

Has anyone here had these on their S13? how did it handle? what were your thought on them? How would they compare to the koni/gc setup(if at all).

Here is some info on the ones that I purchased:
    Fronts are 52mm inverted monotube 32 way adjustable. Rears are adjustable and have ride height adjustment. Apex'i springs.

Here is a pic

Ivan

The rears are dampening adjustable with a 2.5mm allen key. I had these shocks before my sponsor asked me to switch to their coilovers. They can be pretty stiff, tho they cannot be setup with coilover sleeves, which was my original intent, but GC told me they couldnt fit anything over the 52mm shock-body, so that idea was nixed and i sold them.
    NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

Coleman racing should have some 2.08" sleeves. Those should fit over 52mm.

Comment

good call on that, as long as they can fit snug and not rattle all over the place, that setup should work just fine, the Ohlins have shorter pistons than most stock replacement struts, so even using a 5" spring is prolly ok, get a decent adjustable top-het and your golden with a shock that can be rebuilt/revalved easily.

you can use those coilover sleeves and cut off the rest of the lower spring perch to give you more clearance.
        NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by sr20goofus View Post
          good call on that, as long as they can fit snug and not rattle all over the place, that setup should work just fine
          If they have alittle slop, you just use some 0-rings or duc tape (wrap around the strut body to take up the slack... that's how most every GC setup is done.
          -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by jmauld View Post
            Coleman racing should have some 2.08" sleeves. Those should fit over 52mm.
            Are these the ones that you are referring to?
            http://www.colemanracing.com/catalog...b2b4e702bd3c79

Comment

Aren't the 2.5" ID spring GC collars slightly larger than 2" ID?
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

GC specifically told me they couldnt fit anything onto my Ohlins shocks, after i had sent my shocks to them to have them fitted and the lower perches trimmed down.
                NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

Just to update this... GC fits on these Ohlins because I have some sitting right next to me. Looks like a spacer was used, wrapped in painters tape to hold the threaded section

Comment

I ended up taking my dampers up to PSI in Sonoma for a rebuild, inspection, and dyno. I am supposed to be hearing back from them sometime this week.

I am also having them price out what it would cost to have them sleeved, and will more than likely have them done.

Ivan

Comment

Did you buy them from driftfreaq on Zilvia?
                      Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                        Did you buy them from driftfreaq on Zilvia?
                        Yep, those are the ones.

Comment

pics? i sent my ohlins shocks to GC and they said no dice, obviously yours fit if you have them there with you.
                          NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

I'm not sure what the part under the threaded sleeve is, but it has a seal on the top and then a custom spacer with tape wrapped around it on the bottom. Works for me, I'm just scared to completely disassemble them haha

Comment

where these bills old shocks?
                              NASA HPDE Instructor

Comment

Working...
                              X