Coil Sleeves Besides Ground Control!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Sleeves Besides Ground Control!

Since this is also my first post, I'd like to briefly say Hi and thank those who put this forum together. The information that I've already found here by browsing is some really solid suspension tech. I'm more than pleased. Hopefully my post will prove helpful to someone!

So according to some of the threads, GC is no longer concerned with our needs. If this is the attitude they want to take, then they don't deserve our business. I started to look for other options for when I piece together my suspension (whatever that will end up being) and found a sleeve kit that is intended for Acura/Honda dudes.

They're made by Omni Power and they outwardly appear to be well made or at least solid looking. They come with springs rated 448/336 pounds front and rear so one might possibly use at least the front springs for a less aggressive setup. At $170ish for the whole shebang I'm interested. I'll email them to try and get dimensions of the sleeves but if anyone feels frisky and wants to call ahead, be my guest.

Here are two places I found that sell them...
    http://www.phantasmusa.com/omnisleeveover.html
    http://www.promotiontuning.com/Merch...Code=OmniPower

Looks about the same as the ones that are cheaper on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89....c0.m245.l1318

Comment

you can do better, just get some ebay sleeves for $50 and replace the springs. or you can look out for used ground controls like I did, and sell/use the eibach springs and possibly even come out with more pennies pinched.

Comment

Check www.speedwaymotors.com too, or any local circle track forums (do those guys use computers!? jk...).

It seems QA1, carerra, and AFCO have sleeves that are made for racing cars (strong enough) and fit our size requirements. Not sure what brand that is that speedway sells.

Unfortunately though, if you price out a new set of sleeves from these places and find new springs, it costs more than ground control's retail price, of course you can find used springs pretty easily to lower the cost. I'd imagine you could find used circle track type sleeves too, if you found a circle track racing forum, or a local group/club.
        98' 240sx SM project
        93' civic sedan wdcr scca #96 SM
        92' civic Dx gas mileage monster

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Originally posted by EG8steve View Post
          Check [url]
          Unfortunately though, if you price out a new set of sleeves from these places and find new springs, it costs more than ground control's retail price, of course you can find used springs pretty easily to lower the cost.
          I've been searching for an alternative myself, but I cane to the same conclusion you did. I would hate to deal with those bastards when the time come for me to put everything together. I remember back in the late 90s, it was so easy to deal with them.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts....c0.m245.l1318

Its a start

Comment

I know its been a while since i called them, but GC used to sell me just springs, just the lock bolts for the perches, just the adapter rings for inside the sleeves, just the poly top locating bushings. They even advertise that they sell "pairs" of coilovers.

Maybe they just dont want to work with somebody who'se obviously re-selling thier products as part of another product. Dumb as it may sound.
              98' 240sx SM project
              93' civic sedan wdcr scca #96 SM
              92' civic Dx gas mileage monster

Comment

i want something done its stupid ridiculous i've paid and waited 4 months and im not the only one... its about damn time... i want my coilvers lol...GC is gay. Richard should chime in, it's not fair man...
                "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

ahmend, seriously... there's an update thread on the coilovers, use that and stop taking every other thread off topic.
                  -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
                    i want something done its stupid ridiculous i've paid and waited 4 months and im not the only one... its about damn time... i want my coilvers lol...GC is gay. Richard should chime in, it's not fair man...
                    Hah! I've been waiting just as long as you man. Face it, we're screwed until we get around those assholes. Good thing for me is that I can't even touch my car right now, so I'm not in any hurry.

I do remember ordering separate parts from them for my Honda back in the old days, I think it might be time for me to call some of my old Honda buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by ecugrad View Post
                      Thanks for the lead ecugrad. Are those thin gold pieces just risers for the threaded sleeves? Would these threaded sleeves be better suited for the front or back? What are the lengths I should be looking for?

Comment

I have no clue what those could be for, never seen them in a set like this on ebay.

I'll have to measure mine to be sure but like 5" front and 7" rear IIRC

Comment

The length is going to be determined on where you put the sleeve and how much adjustment you want.

My fronts are 2.5" long and the rears are 5" long. IMO, there's no reason to have an excessivly long sleeve.

Comment

Longer sleeves give you a larger range of springs to choose from, though. It's very useful for buying/ trading springs from other racers.

Comment

AFCO, QA1, Allstar, Koni, Carrera are the reputable suppliers of sleeves. All of them only come in a 5" sleeve though.
                              Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Working...
                              X