Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assembly question: Does this look right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly question: Does this look right?

I just got my tein rear mounts for my GC/Koni yellows. I put it together as per the Tein diagram. Does this look right?

Is the spring just going to rest up against the top, which pivots? Or am I missing some sort of spacer/bearing to go in there? Or did I just assemble it completely wrong?

If there's a link or a previous post regarding this that I overlooked, I apologize!

That looks like a rear, and if so, it doesnt need to pivot or turn up top, if thats the front, there should be some sort of pivot bearing at the top.

-steve
    98' 240sx SM project
    93' civic sedan wdcr scca #96 SM
    92' civic Dx gas mileage monster

Comment

Oops, yea, it is a rear. I'm just worried that I assembled it wrong, and the spring is going to pop out of place. I guess with the weight of the car compressing the shock, it shouldn't be an issue. I hope!

Comment

Bumpstop and bushing bind.

also, are you plannign to use a bumpstop?

Some people dont find them necessary, I do however. I know some road racers that dont use them, but for autocross and street, over many miles, you will undoubtedly hit some huge bumps and in that case dont want the tire smashign into the tops of teh fenders, or worse damage your shock b/c of internal bottoming out.

If you're not sure how long the bumpstop needs to be- easiest way is to install the shock w/o the spring, use a jack (and put your wheel on and off) to find the ride height you'll want, then jack up the suspension until the tire or shock are close to thier max compression, make the bumpstop able to lift the car off the jack stand on that one corner just before the shock or tire bottoms out maybe 1/4 or 1/2" before contact occurs at the shock/tire. Its important to have the car level on jack stands when doing this. Makign the bumpstop a little longer than it semes it needs to be will account for uneven road, weight transfer etc while hitting a big bump.

Another point- about bushings binding (if using stock bushings) you can tighten all the suspension pivot bolts at ride height this way too (although you'd want to have the ride height set and spring installed). If you tighten the pivot points at full droop all the bushings will be twisted and preloaded at normal ride height, and things will get worse on compression. This will both make the car extra bouncy, and wear out the bushings quicker.

Hope this makes sense.

-steve
        98' 240sx SM project

Comment

The car will see some street usage, so I'll have to get some bumpstops. Who makes decent ones? Energy suspension?

Comment

Koni does make nice ones, check with bilstein though- i ordered some HDs for my civic long time ago, and they came with a nice set. Bilstein shoudl have some that fit the shaft of the shock youre using. Then you can trim the length as needed.
            98' 240sx SM project

Comment

I don't run bumpstops on my rears, and they have been fine so far. Then again, I run mine on full stiff.

As long as you're running a decently stiff spring, you shouldn't have any worries. You'll have to have the wheel tucked well under the fender in order to bottom the shocks out.

Comment

Here is how I ran my rears on the S13 (koni yellows/GC hardware/tein pillowmounts)

The rubber piece above the tophat is just an hard rubber isolator. I took it off later when the 8610 install and everything seems to be fine without it. The I.D. of the aluminum tophat matches the O.D. of the brass spacer you see in the picture. I would think you would want some type of tophat?! Does the spring hit the bottom of the pillowmount or does it fit over the bearing housing?

Last edited by McCoy; 07-30-2008, 10:26 AM.
                -Monty

Comment

It looks like this:

The spring is kinda just loose unless I compress the shock.

Comment

Sorry to bump this, just wanna know if I need a different top hot. And where would I get one?

Comment

Originally posted by ryebreadz28 View Post
                      Sorry to bump this, just wanna know if I need a different top hot. And where would I get one?
                      For the rears, I don't thinkit's *AS* important as for the front, but if you want a tophat like the one Monty posted (which are from GC) try technotoytuning. It's not listed on the site, but they sell those at $20/pair, and they have been spot on with providing me with service and info, unlike GC.

Comment

i think i have a similar issue with mine. the upper mounts i purchased were for a 300zx from Delubozparts on ebay and the spring diameter 2.5" doesn't match up to the bottom of the mount. the ground control kit i bought only came with 2 metal tophats and 2 rubber hats. should i use the rubber ones on the back? then the mount would sit on the rubber top.

Comment

Working...
                        X