Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I bought some GCs that are way too fat...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I bought some GCs that are way too fat...

I bought some stock RSX damper type GCs (sleeves and springs) off ebay for a pretty good price, hoping to get them to work with the koni yellow set up that I'm planning. But apparently they are way too fat to fit over the rear Koni yellows. Yea I know, a rather big oversight on my part (didn't help that I assumed the yellows are 2" in diameter). The sleeves are about a hair over 2" in ID, and the rear S14 yellow is about 1.75" in diameter. I could use another perch in the rear, but I'd rather just get the right ID sleeves....any ideas? If not, I'll probably just sell them.
    Last edited by heyyouduh; 07-25-2008, 09:13 PM.

pwn

at least i got some springs out of the deal
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
      pwn

at least i got some springs out of the deal
      Way to rub it in Ross. Paypal me that 2 quarters ASAP!

Also, found this on an old post on honda-tech, from CRX Lee (a long time poster that also works for Koni, who is a wealth of information):

"If you as using a threaded coi-over sleeve perch system, that system must also fit properly and have a groove in the bottom side to perfectly capture the circlip. Do not put a grooveless coil-over sleeve on top of a KONI grooved spring perch and hope that it holds up. The sleeve must fit right and have its own groove. To my knowledge, only KONI and Ground Control make sleeves specifically grooved for KONI circlips. In 12 years of working for KONI, I have never seen or heard of a truly well fitted grooved coil-over sleeve system or spring perch ever fall down or fail but I have heard of plenty of ill fitted or improperly installed ones fall down. The system is very strong and allows adjustability that a welded perch does not allow but it must be used correctly or it is wrong and at risk of problems. "

If I'm reading it right, I think he's trying to say don't rest just the bottom of a sleeve on the circlip, since it might open and fail to hold. He says to use a sleeve that has a groove inside so the circlip is also prevented from opening up. I know people like me will want to run the Yellow rears and source their own sleeves, so this is just some extra food for thought.
      Last edited by heyyouduh; 07-25-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

So the circlip OD is smaller than the sleeve ID? I thought the 240SX GC kit came with 2.5" ID springs all around.
        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
          So the circlip OD is smaller than the sleeve ID? I thought the 240SX GC kit came with 2.5" ID springs all around.
          yup. It's not even close. The s14 rear yellow that I have measured to be 1.75" OD (which is weird, I'm sure I read on here someone saying it was 2" OD), with the circlip protruding out by several MMs. The sleeves that I have now are a hair over 2" ID. Unless the shocks I have are not for the s14... in which case ecugrad has alott of explaining to do...

btw, does anyone know the OD of stock s14 struts off the top of their head? I may have a set lying around deep in storage, I'll probably get to measuring it tomorrow if I can find them.
          Last edited by heyyouduh; 07-25-2008, 09:35 PM.

Comment

You could always just put a big hardened washer between the circlip and the sleeve. I think it wouldn't fall down, but you might do something to prevent it from expanding like epoxying/welding a piece of pipe the same OD of the circlip on your washer. It shouldn't be under much load, so it should stay with just some good adhesive like JB Weld.

Comment

You could always just put a big hardened washer between the circlip and the sleeve. I think it wouldn't fall down, but you might do something to prevent it from expanding like epoxying/welding a piece of pipe the same OD of the circlip on your washer. It shouldn't be under much load, so it should stay with just some good adhesive like JB Weld.
              Yea... and I think Koni used to have rings that capture/surround the circlip and also serve as a perch... I should probably look into that to see if they still have it and use rubber o-rings to stabilize the sleeve over the shock.
              Last edited by heyyouduh; 07-25-2008, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Wrapping 2 lines of electrical tape works well. That's what I did on my front 8611 housings from Richard. All the MS o-rings I had were too thick.

Comment

Wrapping 2 lines of electrical tape works well. That's what I did on my front 8611 housings from Richard. All the MS o-rings I had were too thick.
                  That could work too. I am also going to call up GC next week and see if I can beg them to sell me those koni-specific rear sleeves (assuming they're for 2.5ID springs.) Also gonna call Koni USA to see if they still sell those rings that capture the circlip. Btw I just measured my stock front struts, they are 2" OD, so at least the fronts will work.
                  Last edited by heyyouduh; 07-25-2008, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Not sure if the S13 and S14 rear konis are the same diameter or not, but I have a set of these circlip spacers from GC that I used before I went to the 8610's.

My digital caliper says the I.D. on these are 1.66", can you recheck your O.D. of the S14 Koni shock?!?

I'll let these go for what I paid for them $30

Here's a picture of them on my old S13 koni shock for reference.
                    Last edited by McCoy; 07-25-2008, 10:31 PM.
                    -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
                      Not sure if the S13 and S14 rear konis are the same diameter or not, but I have a set of these circlip spacers from GC that I used before I went to the 8610's.

My digital caliper says the I.D. on these are 1.66", can you recheck your O.D. of the S14 Koni shock?!?

I'll let these go for what I paid for them $30

Here's a picture of them on my old S13 koni shock for reference.
                      Hey. Which part exactly is the circlip spacer, the black thing? The shocks are a little different, the S14 does not have the protruding lip/ridge that seems to be built into the body. I need something that not only rest on but also covers the circlip to prevent it from expanding under load. Regarding the OD, it's probably 1.66", I don't have a caliper, just used tape measure... but now I'll go and try to measure them again.

Edit: just measure the OD again, with the string method, got 1.65"... so i'm thinking it's probably 1.66".... but I'll need something that covers the circlip, so a bit larger than that. Also, what's the OD on those circlip spacers? Thanks.
                      Last edited by heyyouduh; 07-25-2008, 11:06 PM.

Comment

It's the black aluminum piece towards the right. The O.D. is 2.16".
                        -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
                          It's the black aluminum piece towards the right. The O.D. is 2.16".
                          Does it have a step/ridge inside, so that it both covers and rests on the circlip? From the pic it looks like it only rests on what seems to be the circlip (sorry if I'm confusing or confused, the S14 is different).

Comment

There is a step/ridge inside... yes on mine it is resting on the circlip of the shock.
                            -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by heyyouduh View Post
                              yup. It's not even close. The s14 rear yellow that I have measured to be 1.75" OD (which is weird, I'm sure I read on here someone saying it was 2" OD), with the circlip protruding out by several MMs. The sleeves that I have now are a hair over 2" ID. Unless the shocks I have are not for the s14... in which case ecugrad has alott of explaining to do...

btw, does anyone know the OD of stock s14 struts off the top of their head? I may have a set lying around deep in storage, I'll probably get to measuring it tomorrow if I can find them.

The ones I make are 2" OD F/R, the factory are 2" F/ 1.75" R
                              Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Working...
                              X