Camber Plate Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camber Plate Design

For the past few months my car has been pulling to the right or left, depending on which way I turn last. If I turn full lock to the left, the car pulls to the left, same thing for the right side. I'm currently putting in a new rack and re-doing my PS cooler setup, so I figured now would be the time to figure out what my problem really is.

I think my springs are binding when I turn, then when I turn back to center the springs are trying to unwind, thus pulling the wheels to the left/right. I took a look at my tophats, and the pillowball isn't rotating when the wheels are turning, so the top perch (and strut shaft) doesn't spin, while the lower bracket, lower perch, shock body, and spring do spin. These are Fortune Auto coils by the way.

I looked at my roommate's Stance coilovers when he turned the wheel, and his pillowball does spin freely, meaning his upper spring perch is rotating with the spring and can't bind.

I then looked on Fortune's web site and saw their new radial bearing spring mount that isolates the top of the spring from the upper perch and allows the spring to spin without grabbing the top hat. While this is technically a solution to my problem, isn't it just a band-aid for ****ty sphericals in the top hat? Their website says:

"On race spec'd coilovers the spherical bearing (pillow ball hat) is not designed to handle the load. Since the spherical bearing is not designed to deal with these forces, the spring is forced to turn with the assembly and drags on the spring perches."

Is the pillowball really not supposed to turn? That doesn't make sense to me, it seems like a properly designed top hat would allow the spherical to move in all directions. Thoughts, comments?

Sphericals don't like to rotate radially as they're loaded with a large axial load.

Stance coilovers (and all that cheap 'JDM' stuff) are notorious for popping and banging noises as the springs load up as you turn the front wheels and the spherical resists the motion.

A thrust bearing like the Fortune Auto stuff is a good idea. I'd just buy Timken etc. bearings personally and avoid the markup and be sure you're not getting some cheap import bearing.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Would that explain the car pulling to left/right side after turning in that direction? I'm running solid rack bushings and my rack isn't shifting side to side, and I just installed a solid column bushing to rule that out. It makes sense to me, but I want to get a second opinion on it.

I'm not running a crazy amount of preload but the popping and banging noises only happen 2-3 times during the full lock-lock motion, so if the spring doesn't pop and reseat itself with the wheels pointing straight it's going to try and unwind, and that's where the car pulling to one side is coming from. I also have inverse bump steer, if the front is unloaded for a second the wheel will turn left/right then under compression it will come back to straight.

Here's a picture of the Fortune bearing things, looks like they incorporated it into the upper perch. I'll probably just order these on Monday, I'm tired of steering issues.

Comment

Yes, the spring is wound up, so you're getting a steering torque in the previous direction.

Comment

Pretty cool to see FA making the bearing perches now since Vorschlag doesn't offer theirs anymore.

Comment

I have a set that will be delivered today or Monday. I'm glad someone is selling these individually now.

Comment

Yea... that bearing looks a little undersized for loading it axially, but who knows. Probably has a ton of excess capacity at low RPM since most bearings are rated at much much higher RPM than you'd see your wheels turning.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                Pretty cool to see FA making the bearing perches now since Vorschlag doesn't offer theirs anymore.
                Vorshlag does, just not to broke dick 'other than bmw' guys.
                'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

I called them years ago asking, not even identifying what car I have and they said no, they never did, then I was like, that's BS, people I 'know' bought them solo. Then they said well, now you have to buy our camber plates if you want the bearing perches. Sooo idk what kinda shyt show those clowns are running over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                    I called them years ago asking, not even identifying what car I have and they said no, they never did, then I was like, that's BS, people I 'know' bought them solo. Then they said well, now you have to buy our camber plates if you want the bearing perches. Sooo idk what kinda shyt show those clowns are running over there.
                    techno toy tuning makes some too. not sure how good they are though:

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/s...tem-nissan-s13
                    '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
                    '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
                    '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
                    '81 BMW R65

Comment

Originally posted by eage8 View Post
                      techno toy tuning makes some too. not sure how good they are though:

https://technotoytuning.com/nissan/s...tem-nissan-s13
                      Well I don't care any more as I have GC plates that came with the bearings... I was just stating for matter-of-fact I guess.

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the FA ones, I guess I'll post some pictures when they get here, should be tomorrow.

Comment

If anybody was wondering dimensions i sent an email and just got this response.

The inner diameter of the center adapter is 12.2mm, the ID of the bearing is 20mm, and the spring ID is 60mm.
                          SM 63 KA-t 470hp 480tq G30-660 A2W IC

Comment

Is it just me or shouldn't that be an angular contact bearing there? That looks like a standard radial load only ball bearing...unless I have improperly visualized the assembly, but any support from another surface (for thrust) would require another bearing, that is all cheap as hell badd engischmearing...yeah yeah it works I'm sure but Im thinking it is also wrong as two boys...enjoying chai tea in a romantic setting
                            I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

A separate bearing with axial articulation will remove the bending moment the spring generates from acting through the shock body. But they're generally $$$, and either don't deal with grit well, or don't like to turn under an axial load (like a spherical bearing).

A radial rotation only bearing isnt all that bad. Eliminating the bending moment is what things like the hyperco hydraulic spring perches do at considerable expense.

Comment

Working...
                              X