Tender Spring Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tender Spring Install

Installed tender springs tonight. Had to make my own coupling spacers to do so. Here's what I'm working with:

Ground the welds down with an angle grinder to ensure the spring would sit flush:

Assembled:

Crappiest install pic ever:

They block (fully compress) at about 200lbs, and are 4" long, 50lb tenders. They're compressed a bit over an inch when installed, but I'm working on extending my droop a bit as I'll add a half inch spacer underneath the top hat since I've got tons of thread above the nut. I might go so far as to extending the lower mounts later, as well.

I'll have more info available on performance after this weekend, so "stay tuned".

awesome, just take a better pic of the last pic. I was wanting this thread, but i felt shy to ask hehe.

Looking forward to your next race Keep it up bro
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

What did you make the spacers out of?

Comment

I was thinking of doing this same exact thing, glad to see I'm not the only one. What do coilovers that come with this use between springs?

Comment

Most places sell a resin/graphite based spacer.
          Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Originally posted by jmauld View Post
            What did you make the spacers out of?
            McMaster Part Number Description

4466K191 1 Each High-polish Sanitary Stainless Steel Tubing, Type 304l, 2-1/2" Od, 2.37" Id,.065" Wall,1’l

97063A550 1 Pack Wide-rim Plain Steel Shim, .134" Thick, 2-1/2" Id, 3-1/2" Od

Comment

Are those Eibach tender springs? I was planning on some H&Rs since they're 50 lb/in and fairly affordable(2 in. long is the only length AFAIK).

I've got a 5" diameter piece of aluminum round stock that I plan to toss up on the lathe and make some spacers. Might even anodize them for some bling.

I was actually thinking of doing this up front too, but not sure how much extra droop would help the front.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                Are those Eibach tender springs? I was planning on some H&Rs since they're 50 lb/in and fairly affordable(2 in. long is the only length AFAIK).
                They're H&R I believe, 4" free length, 2.5" ID, 50#. I'm not sure where they came from as I bought them used.

I've got a 5" diameter piece of aluminum round stock that I plan to toss up on the lathe and make some spacers. Might even anodize them for some bling.
                Make spares, plz

I was actually thinking of doing this up front too, but not sure how much extra droop would help the front.
                It'll help if I ever start lifting a front tire, which might start happening if I add more front spring. I was thinking of throwing these up front later on if I went with higher rate rear tenders, just to act as helper springs.

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole View Post

It'll help if I ever start lifting a front tire, which might start happening if I add more front spring. I was thinking of throwing these up front later on if I went with higher rate rear tenders, just to act as helper springs.

Lifting a front tire will help keep the rear tires on the ground.

Comment

Just curious, but do you think a ~40-45lb spring rate is going to be enough to keep the wheel on the ground?

When I was looking at these, I was planning on running the 150lb tender springs from eibach. Which should give you around 100lb spring rate (depending on the main spring) with weight off of the tire.

Comment

Originally posted by jmauld View Post
                      Lifting a front tire will help keep the rear tires on the ground.
                      Yup, but a 50# spring up front should be negligible considering how stiff the front swaybar is. It'll basically be a helper spring at that point, who's only job is to keep everything seated properly when off the main spring.

Just curious, but do you think a ~40-45lb spring rate is going to be enough to keep the wheel on the ground?

When I was looking at these, I was planning on running the 150lb tender springs from eibach. Which should give you around 100lb spring rate (depending on the main spring) with weight off of the tire.
                      I was originally planning on around 100lb tenders, and I was about to order the 2.7" long 150lb Eibach springs. I got these 50# springs cheap, though, and figured they'd be worth trying.

Talking to the Mark Daddio (seller of the tender springs), I figured out that the 50lb springs should be enough. They'll start out at around 200 lbs of force once off the main spring, and since I'm not running a rear swaybar, it shouldn't take much to keep the inside down.

Comment

I think 50 lb/in is fine to merely keep the tire against the ground and not add any obvious change in behavior as the tender spring comes into play. It's really just a beefed up helper spring with enough pressure to actually extend the shock out a bit.
                        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Well eibach sells tender springs and helper springs but I think I want the tender spring. If I got a 150lb spring theoretically it would make the ride softer for smooth roads/small bumps and regular driving and when on the track it would compress enough to use the stiffer main spring?

Comment

Originally posted by 98koukile View Post
                            Well eibach sells tender springs and helper springs but I think I want the tender spring. If I got a 150lb spring theoretically it would make the ride softer for smooth roads/small bumps and regular driving and when on the track it would compress enough to use the stiffer main spring?
                            These springs compress fully with the weight of the car. They will have little effect on every day driving.

Comment

So what about a stiffer spring tender spring. This is what I'm reading among other things to come up with this...
                              The Tender spring relies on a Main and Tender spring concept that provides a softer initial rate when both springs are compressed together, then delivers the desired firmer ending rate once the Tender spring closes completely. The Helper spring, unlike the Tender spring, has very little spring rate, and therefore has no effect on the suspension characteristics of the vehicle

so I figured with a 300lb 10" rear spring and a 150lb 4" tender spring it would need 600lbs before it does absolutely nothing and the 300lb spring would absorb some of that also

Comment

Working...
                              X