koni/groundcontrol help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• koni/groundcontrol help

ok so ive read the threat on zilvia and now im interested in this suspension setup. i PMed veilside on zilvia and and he told me to read the threads here to find answers to my questions, but im a car noob and i dont understand any of the threads really.

what do i need to complete this setup for my s14, i want to lower it quite a bit and its gonna be a DD, will see some slight track use.
    so 400/300 lb springs? and also what does spring length do? is that what controls the height of the car? im also on a budget, after a i get some money and pay off the credit card from the paintjob then im looking to upgrade my suspension so i need to know what im saving up for.

those housings from veilside? (i dont know what housings do, house the strut?)
    koni 86 somethings?
    ground control set up?
    ??

sorry if this redundant, but all the other threads are for like.. advanced car people that i am not one of.

If you are trying to save cash I would just do 8610 fronts with Yellow rears. The fronts would require new housings, but the rears would not.

Spring length does have a direct correlation with ride height, but it's the combination of a few other things as well. (strut length, flange placement, and sleeve height on the coilover)

You are correct this site isn't necessarily noob friendly, as it's mostly created for racers. There is a good deal of information from the threads in here though if you have at least some understanding of suspensions though.
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

so then id order new housings from you? and where can i order the 8610s? and for the spring length i just state it to Ground Control when selecting spring rates?

i can tell its not noob friendly, but zilvia doesnt have the info that i needed. theyd probably just tell me to buy a set of KTSs

Comment

Your best bet is to get everything from Richard, IIRC he can get you better pricing then sourcing the individual components yourself. Read up on the drama about Groundcontrol.

Comment

richard is veilside? what drama?

Comment

Yes Richard is veilside180sx.

GC has the tendency to act like a bunch of asshats to customers who want to purchase their products. I believe Richard has sourced replacements for all the usual hardware you'd need(perches, collars, springs etc.).

Don't let the install seem daunting either... it's very very easy.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

ok so then i should buy...

koni yellows all around..
              and the GC stuff
              and the housings from richard?
              and thats it?

Comment

Originally posted by bunnathp View Post
                ok so then i should buy...

koni yellows all around..
                Koni yellow for the rear if you're on a budget, the front housings from Richard, and the ground control. What camber plates are you using for the front?

Comment

stock camber. until i can buy new ones after suspension. i think imma just go yellows on all four. unless i have a lot of money to throw around and then buy the 86xxs

Comment

IMO, you should avoid the Koni Yellows all together. The fronts are too long and have a habit of blowing, and the rears are effectively non-adjustable once installed on the car. If you want cheap and high quality, go with the bilsteins that ecugrad recently put together. If you want adjustable go with veilside's setup.

Comment

Furthermore....

If you are enterprising and don't mind doing a little ebay hunting, you can ditch the GC stuff as well.

I bought this:
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=130227539654

and took my GC's off and sold them on ebay. Not pretty or have much bling factor but it works. Its also cheap.

Comment

The Black/Gold are Afco or Allstar sleeves/adjusters, but I'm not sure about the red/black.
                        Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                          The Black/Gold are Afco or Allstar sleeves/adjusters, but I'm not sure about the red/black.
                          I was assuming some/most of it was Afco. The cool thing is the thread pitch on the sleeves is consistent on all the stuff.

Comment

well. this has got all to confusing as soon as someone is telling me to run a different setup =/ im trying to keep it budget friendly here. are bilsteins budget friendly? ive read that they are hard to find?

Comment

Originally posted by bunnathp View Post
                              well. this has got all to confusing as soon as someone is telling me to run a different setup =/ im trying to keep it budget friendly here. are bilsteins budget friendly? ive read that they are hard to find?
                              It depends on your definition of "budget friendly".

You could spend $800 on some Megans, but those are crap. Hell, you could spend $1200 on Stance or $2500 on Zeal and those are still crap.

Or you could spend ~$1400 for an 8610 front/Yellow rear setup and have dampers that are far superior to $2500 Zeals, and are more modular. Expect even less if you can find the parts for cheap on eBay or through some other second-hand means.

Yellows in the rear are fine. I've been running them for a month or so at 2 turns of rebound and I don't ever really need to adjust them; I simply dial in more or less front rebound depending on the course. I've actually starting having second thoughts about bothering with the rear 8610s at all...

Comment

Working...
                              X