KW V3 Setup Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KW V3 Setup Question

Hi guys. Since you guys are so knowledgeable with putting suspension setups together, I have a question for you. Just purchased a set of KW V3 and Tein Top Hats for an S13. Fronts came together pretty straightforward. The rears are a bit confusing.
    Below is a link to the picture. Instructions of the Tein hats called for the use of a top and bottom spacer. Seeing that there was no way I could get those spacers on with the provided aluminum sleeve (right on top of the bump stop washer), I went ahead and removed it thinking it may be for use with the stock tophats. Now I was wondering if having the Tein hats are installed correctly and as marked in blue, if that gap is supposed to be there? I tried removing the provided purple perch but the diameter of the Tein hat is slightly larger then that of the spring.

Thanks for any help. I will be sure to include a pretty in-depth review once these babies are on
    Last edited by Law; 05-28-2008, 12:03 PM.

With the Tein mounts the spring is supposed to seat against the flat area at the top of where you marked out the gap.

Looks like the KW springs have a smaller ID than what Tein uses.

You may be able to have the Tein parts turned down to match the KW spring ID, get different springs, have a spacer made to fill the gap area, or for an off the shelf solution buy KW's camber plates.

Whatever solution you use if you can get rid of the purple spacer I'd do it since it reduces compression travel.

KW's racing top mount PN's are

Front: 190 00 752
    Rear: 190 00 753

KW NA Phone number is 559-875-0222 (not on the website)

I'm thinking about getting a set of KW Clubsports (MSRP $3500 but I've got a wholesale account ) for S14 but I haven't decided yet so your review will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Umai Kakudo; 06-02-2008, 08:44 PM.
    The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

Thanks for the input. That is what I figured Oh well. Just another obstacle. Once these are good to go, I will provide a review of street driving, mountain driving, and 2 track events next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Umai Kakudo View Post
        Rear: 190 00 773
        Just to clarify, when I called them they said the PN is 190 00 753. Anyways, MSRP is $300 per each so screw that! I will be seeing if a machine shop can take a bit off the Tein top hats for me

Comment

Originally posted by Law View Post
          Just to clarify, when I called them they said the PN is 190 00 753. Anyways, MSRP is $300 per each so screw that! I will be seeing if a machine shop can take a bit off the Tein top hats for me
          There is no way to shave anything off the Tein's top hats. The way the bearing sits in them basically makes that impossible.
          Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Are you talking about the spring ID and not the vertical thickness? You can take material off for the spring ID circumference, but not the other.

Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
            There is no way to shave anything off the Tein's top hats. The way the bearing sits in them basically makes that impossible.
            Man, not what I was looking forward to hearing. Do you know if any other plates are smaller in diameter such as Cusco maybe? If worse comes to worse, I'll have to use the stock rubber mounts
            Last edited by veilside180sx; 05-28-2008, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Yes, I am trying to remove the material off the spring ID circumference. The part circled in red.

Comment

Yeah you can turn that down on a lathe.
                Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

My fat little fingers messed up the rear part number. Fixed it!

Sounds like a machinist will be the least expensive solution.
                  The Nerd shall inherit the podium for knowledge is power.

Comment

Just take a sanding drum to it. It probably won't take you more than 10-15 mins.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                    X