I'm stoopid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm stoopid

Please help me understand why Koni's rock the face so much. I never heard much about them before I joined, and it seems like that's all we talk about.

Digressive valving, better low speed control, and adjustability that does something.
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

It was all yellow.

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole View Post
        It was all yellow.
        WAT?!

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
          WAT?!

Anything Yellow IMMEDIATELY gives you an extra 20hp

Comment

and it makes u in with da ladies
            "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Haha- I'll leave that alone.

The damping curves are way better than anything else out there for our cars. Reasonable force levels and digressive character. Competition proven. Easily serviceable. What's not to like? I always wanted Konis, but the Yellows just seemed like a bad option since the rears were not externally adjustable, the fronts required cutting stock housings, and the front would still be travel limited. After a few years of dealing with Stance coilover skitteriness and obnoxious street manners, I'm definitely ready for something that will soak up bumps and provide serious mechanical grip. My only real complaint about them is that I've read that Konis aren't super consistent from damper to damper, so without a dyno you can't be sure that 2 clicks from soft is relatively similar on your 2 rear dampers. I think the positives outweigh that concern though.
              ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                Easily serviceable.
                That is debatable.

Any Joe Schmoe can rebuild/revalve a Bilstein, only 3 places in the US can do that to Koni's

I have a friend who has got HOSED by service on Koni's at Solo Nats, TWICE.

Comment

Originally posted by ecugrad View Post
                  That is debatable.

Any Joe Schmoe can rebuild/revalve a Bilstein, only 3 places in the US can do that to Koni's

I have a friend who has got HOSED by service on Koni's at Solo Nats, TWICE.
                  I thought the Koni guys at Nats did service for cost by parts-only, no labor charge?

Comment

Originally posted by AceInHole View Post
                    I thought the Koni guys at Nats did service for cost by parts-only, no labor charge?
                    They do.

Strange.

Comment

Well, at least you can actually get them revalved and rebuilt. I imagine getting anything done with JDM coilovers is pretty impossible, other than replacement of the dampers. And of course, it's internet hearsay, but weren't there a bunch of JIC coilovers that were supposed to be custom valved and were just the same, off the shelf stuff?
                      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by spool_sample View Post
                        They do.

Strange.

They do but I don't think they had the stuff to do their pimpy 30 series shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                          Well, at least you can actually get them revalved and rebuilt. I imagine getting anything done with JDM coilovers is pretty impossible, other than replacement of the dampers. And of course, it's internet hearsay, but weren't there a bunch of JIC coilovers that were supposed to be custom valved and were just the same, off the shelf stuff?
                          It's true. Happened to a bunch of guys on Honda-Tech.com. Some even spec'd out force levels at a given piston speed and it was just the run of the mill valving(which sucks anyway), so you can tell they never had them on a dyno. I don't think it was cheap getting them custom valved either - definitely at least a few hundred bucks.
                          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

the thing that kills me is i have been running GC with Koni Yellow since 2003. same springs and shocks. back then everyone was like dude you should get some coilovers. then about a year ago vielside came through and made it a common option. you know how long i have been waiting for some other people to get this setup so that i could compare with out spending a grip changing springs rates and shock valving. now all you fools need to get them on and we can work togethor to narrow down different setups depending on usage. so thanks again to Veilside.
                            my car domain

Comment

Ha! I knew there was SOMEBODY out there with Yellows. I just didn't want to deal with limited front travel and no rear adjustability, and when I bought my coilovers, I was more averse to fabrication than I am now.
                              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X