8611 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8611 Build

After many headaches from over-thinking the entire thing, the fronts are finally put together and on.

The way I put them together is basically the same way as Def's. The difference, however, lies in the camber plates; since I have Tein plates, I had to borrow a grinder and make some washers for the top hats. I put the GC washer down on top of the hat, a grind-down lock washer, and a custom washer on top of that. It seems to work pretty well... at full tilt, the camber plate is 1-2mm away from touching the top hat. And yes, I know the zipties on the springs will break.

Travel looks to be pretty good. I couldn't get any good pics, but it looks to be more than Def has at a similar height on an S14.

I also didn't have as much wheel clearance as I thought. I cranked the camber bolts out all the way, and still had to use a spacer to clear the spring perch. I could try to find some 5" springs or have the housing slotted, but I'm not really concerned.

Anyway, I'll post some driving impressions once I'm done resting and take care of some odds and ends.

I'd just grind the top spindle holes a little bit to get some more clearance. My K-Sports had a huge slot there and they never once slipped when you torque them to the 95ish ft-lbs they take.

Richard told me he put a little more clearance on the S14 housings than the S13 housings first go around, so you likely do have a bit more travel.

Are those 8" springs? Look like a pretty big rate - 550s?
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
      Are those 8" springs? Look like a pretty big rate - 550s?
      7-inch springs, 500 lbs.

I'd be pretty lucky if I found 5-inch, 2.5" ID, 500 or 550 lb springs.

Comment

Can't wait to piece mine together What's up with the zip ties?
        "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
          Can't wait to piece mine together What's up with the zip ties?
          So people know what you're talking about (since I forgot to post this):

They're just there to keep the brake lines from flopping around.

Comment

You think it's necessary to ziptie the spring to the hat? I saw the holes on my GC hats and figured that's what they were there for, but it doesn't seem necessary.

Comment

the bottom piece of the camber plate seems like it would kill a good inch of travel. or am i retarded?

Most PM answers: F 17X9 +22, R 17X9 +35

Comment

Indeed. That's the evil Tein snout. The ebay plates have a smaller snout.
                ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Ground Control has 5 in 525's(125.64.92) on there site. I'm sure you can get them from someone else.

Originally posted by spool_sample View Post
                  7-inch springs, 500 lbs.

I'd be pretty lucky if I found 5-inch, 2.5" ID, 500 or 550 lb springs.
                  Addicted to Motorsports

Comment

You think it's necessary to ziptie the spring to the hat? I saw the holes on my GC hats and figured that's what they were there for, but it doesn't seem necessary.
                    Probably not necessary, but I figured that if I left the spring loose on the perch, there would be the possibility that the hat wouldn't insert itself into the spring properly when the car is dropped off a jack.

And yeah, I'm not terribly happy with the Tein camber plates. They might be OK for a stock strut, but for the 8611s they EAT up travel. I still have a pretty good amount, but lower-profile plates would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by ckcadavona View Post
                      Ground Control has 5 in 525's(125.64.92) on there site. I'm sure you can get them from someone else.
                      What that is, is there helper springs, if Im correct.

Another alternative is a 6" spring from swift. There pretty expensive (~$100 a spring) compared to Eibach but they come in 6", 7", and 8" from rates of 4kg (224lb) to 34kg (1902lb). Heres a link.

http://www.swiftsprings.com/file/Coilover_Springs.pdf

Comment

No, that's the metric part number for a 5" long 515 lb/in spring.

I don't buy into the Swift spring hype... especially for the price.

Comment

I don't buy into the Swift spring hype... especially for the price.
                          Agreed. I can get 6" springs from Eibach or Hypercoil all day for half the price, but finding 5" springs is tough.

I'll look into those GC springs (if I can even get them).

Comment

First auto-x event of the season today.

First impressions: WOW. I'm totally impressed. I ran them all day today about 1 turn rebound off of soft and 2 clicks compression off of soft, and it felt great on both the street and the course.

It was interesting running blown World Sports in the rear... the 8611s would just soak up the bumps and irregularities in the front, but when the rear hit the car would just bounce and get unsettled. That characteristic plus constant downpours today made for some fun driving... not fast, but fun. Even so, I was able to hold my own against the STIs and EVOs. The street manners are pretty much unmatched, too. The Konis with 500lb springs felt as compliant as the good, working World Sports I had in the front (with maybe 300lb springs).

Can't wait to get the rears on! Maybe then I could put some power down.

Comment

Working...
                            X