Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shock options

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shock options

    I have been looking to find whats out there for options for quality shocks out there. from what I have been able to find there are only really 3 options out there.

    Koni 86's $1500 ish
    Koni 28's $4300 for just shocks and nothing else
    Motons $5750

    I am not such a fan of the 86 setup, but I definitly like the other 2, but I really rather not spend quite that much for shocks.

    Does anyone know any setups in that $3000 gap that dont have the standard JDM high compression rates for a S14 240sx?
    Last edited by veilside180sx; 03-21-2008, 09:37 AM.

  • #2
    What's wrong with 8611s?
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

    Comment


    • #3
      BTW 2817's are more than that.

      If you are truly only interested in the shock options (not struts) you have quite a few.

      Penske, Ohlins, Koni 2812LB, etc. You'll have to get them revalved to match your setup, but it's doable.

      Your other option are the Aragosta setup from SPL. I would get the dyno sheets for them though, to insure it's what you are after though.
      Last edited by veilside180sx; 03-21-2008, 10:02 AM.
      Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
        What's wrong with 8611s?
        86's lack some repeatability and need to be rebuilt more often. They also run a needle valve. The set up kinda runs me the wrong way, if you really want to know more about my personal feelings about it, you can PM me, lol

        I would also like to get into some 3 way or 4 way shocks. price might keep me away from that though.

        I have been able to price out the 28's at 4300 for both front and rear shocks, so I just guessed at $300 for fabrication and springs but I guess I did a horable guess now that I think about it. After the shock price, I didnt really look any further. I rather have the motons for that price.

        Comment


        • #5
          What is the car to be used for?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post

            Penske, Ohlins, Koni 2812LB, etc. You'll have to get them revalved to match your setup, but it's doable.

            Your other option are the Aragosta setup from SPL. I would get the dyno sheets for them though, to insure it's what you are after though.
            I talked with SPL. they said I had to buy the shocks to get a dyno sheet, I have tried to contact Aragosta, but I havent had any luck. so if you have any ideas who to bug, I would love to hear it!

            I am not a fan of Penske at all.. from what I have heard the tolerance they have with there shocks is kinda huge, so its easy to have shocks that dont really match.

            I have been looking for Ohlins, but I have been having issues. from what I have heard the Ohlins from JDM land arnt real Ohlins, and are set up with HUGE compression settings, with no rebound. I have seen pics of a stock replacement shock from, but havnt been able to find any more information then that.



            The car right now is an AutoX car with a little HPDE's, but thats just what I am doing temorary, it will be a Road course car when my work settles down.

            Comment


            • #7
              Can you elaborate your opinion about the Koni 86s¿ Have you had any bad experience with them¿

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vw_nissan View Post
                Can you elaborate your opinion about the Koni 86s¿ Have you had any bad experience with them¿
                I have not yet used the 86's, they are fine shocks, they are alot better the 90% of the stuff out there. but they are more of a budget setup. the tech they used does have some flaws, but if you can accept that, they are fine. I am not a shock engineer, and I am not gonna try to act like one, I have just enough information to be dangerous to my wallet. If you want my partialy educated OPINION, feel free to PM me.

                I am just looking for what else is out there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Ohlin's manufacturered in Japan are genuine Ohlins products as they are made by Ohlin's and not an outsourced third party. I confirmed this with an Ohlin's engineer at PRI this year, because I had heard the same. The damper design is slightly different though, but that's more because the JDM setup is a lower level product than the dutch built ones.

                  Originally posted by kaje View Post
                  I talked with SPL. they said I had to buy the shocks to get a dyno sheet, I have tried to contact Aragosta, but I havent had any luck. so if you have any ideas who to bug, I would love to hear it!

                  I am not a fan of Penske at all.. from what I have heard the tolerance they have with there shocks is kinda huge, so its easy to have shocks that dont really match.

                  I have been looking for Ohlins, but I have been having issues. from what I have heard the Ohlins from JDM land arnt real Ohlins, and are set up with HUGE compression settings, with no rebound. I have seen pics of a stock replacement shock from, but havnt been able to find any more information then that.



                  The car right now is an AutoX car with a little HPDE's, but thats just what I am doing temorary, it will be a Road course car when my work settles down.
                  Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I haven't heard anything about the 86s needing to be rebuilt often? They sure seem more sturdy than my friend's Advance Design DAs that DO need a rebuild after 10-15 races(which is lame).

                    Not much more different than a Yellow/Sport upon casual observation, so I don't see what would cause them to be rebuilt more often.


                    IMO, if you want something better than the 8610/8611 setup all around, either a set of custom valved Bilsteins or Motons is the next step up, and it's quite a step as you're seeing.

                    Koni 28s are pimp, but $$$$ as was mentioned.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                    DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by veilside180sx View Post
                      The Ohlin's manufacturered in Japan are genuine Ohlins products as they are made by Ohlin's and not an outsourced third party. I confirmed this with an Ohlin's engineer at PRI this year, because I had heard the same. The damper design is slightly different though, but that's more because the JDM setup is a lower level product than the dutch built ones.
                      Thank you, I will have to look into this some more, and find out how adjustable they are.

                      Also the only dutch ohlins I have found have looked like stock replacements, I havent been able to find any specs, so you know if this is right? Huge front springs with what I guess would be alot of compression before they hold the weight of the car.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The dyno's I saw from these...I wasn't exactly floored by. The 8611's have a much more effective curve.



                        Ohlin's will make you a set of bolt on's...but I'm not going to say how friendly the price is.=)
                        Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Ah ok, these were all I found for ohlins.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm familiar with those, but the ones above are still JDM built Ohlin's. The S chassis PCV are still JDM as well.

                            You can get dutch built ones, but they'd be custom.

                            Originally posted by kaje View Post
                            Ah ok, these were all I found for ohlins.

                            Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The answer is:
                              You have 8611's (which actually are around $2000 with all the hardware) as the entry level into performance shocks. The middle-ground you're trying to find is the $5000 mark, where you have basic Motons or Koni 28's. You can double or triple that price with Motons or Ohlins, but the truth is that you'll gain virtually nothing without the proper equipment (datalogging units with a boat-load of sensors, and your own shock dyno).

                              In the end, unless you're getting yourself into professional racing, there's no reason to go beyond Koni 28's or Moton 2-way's.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X