My setup 8611's SWEET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My setup 8611's SWEET

I get pics up tomorrow. tonight was the first time i've driven the car in about 6 months. new since then - 8611's and 550 7in springs and helical diff. so got the ecu done and wired. and it started believe it or not. I was shaking, ready for something to go wrong.

so getting everything setup to a bit. i set ride height and then the lower chamber. I'm not real crazy about the ride height. if i put the car where i want it its sitting on the bumpstop. so no travel, wtf. still trying to think if that means i need 6in springs or 8in. its so late and i've been working on this car for 15 hours strait. i'm going ot bed cant think

rides awesome didn't get koni's on the back yet. just so happy to drive it again

Most PM answers: F 17X9 +22, R 17X9 +35

We'll meet up today and I'll take a look at it Brian.
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

ok here is the slotted version. they slotted both sides which isn't a huge deal.

installed pushed all the way in

ride height all the way up. was there someone that was worried about it not going high enough????

so i dropped it down to about 1/2 front the perch Perfect!

BUT

So i moved it up to 1" off the perch. thats where it sits now.

Comment

So during my ride last night. i found out what bumpsteer is. forgive me, i've heard and read alot about it but with my D2s, the suspension never really moved so i never got to experience it. It feels awesome, bumps up front are nothing but once the back hits i pop out of the seat. D2's are still on in the back.

The helical diff is different too. i can feel it switching when i driving strait down the road. its not bad just different. on turns it really does help turn the car almost like i got all wheel steering.

Comment

I trimmed at least half an inch off my koni bumpstops. They are too long with the springrates we are running IMO.

As for bumpsteer, that's actually toe change with suspension travel. But I know what you mean with the crap dampers in the back. They feel even worse with something good up front.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Let us know what the deal is with the ride height. Even if the bumpstop is trimmed down 1/2", you still have too little suspension travel, is that correct?

Comment

You guys are killing me with all these posts of 8611's and 8610's on your cars....

Makes me wish I had already sold the Miata and was throwing money at Koni and Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by vw_nissan View Post
                Let us know what the deal is with the ride height. Even if the bumpstop is trimmed down 1/2", you still have too little suspension travel, is that correct?
                It looked like I had good travel at my ride height(maybe 1/2" of gap fender to top of tire). You don't need 4"+ of travel at the springrates we run, that's like near 2000 lbs force BEYOND what you get with the car sitting on that corner.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

so yeah down where i like it the bump stop is very close to touching. i can cut the bumpstop, didn't think about that. and yeah i guess with the spring rates i don't have all the much travel anyway. I'm gonna get richard over here and we'll see what we can do.

Well if it was me i see if you could get richard to make some with the flanges about and inch higher on the strut that would be uber. or even directly below the flange, theres room at the bottom.

Comment

This is how it came out after we trimmed the bump stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Mom View Post
                      so yeah down where i like it the bump stop is very close to touching. i can cut the bumpstop, didn't think about that. and yeah i guess with the spring rates i don't have all the much travel anyway. I'm gonna get richard over here and we'll see what we can do.

Well if it was me i see if you could get richard to make some with the flanges about and inch higher on the strut that would be uber. or even directly below the flange, theres room at the bottom.
                      That is what I was going to request on my set when I order them.

Comment

I updated the "spring" thread to include distance to coilbind on the springs. For anything less than a 7" spring above 400 lbs, there isn't any more than 4" to coilbind.

Comment

So got everything done. bumpstops trimmed and rear yellows installed. car is still a bit high but i can lower it more. i'll get pics later.

The ride is awesome theres a nice bump down the road right before a bridge. i usually have to slow down because the car will kinda jump it. now its just a small bump and i can go like 40mph over it rather than 20 usually.

I will be driving this up to seattle in a couple weeks, so it'll be nice to see how i handle the ride. 550 is rough but not horrible. and i haven't even messed with the settings yet.

oh and i found why the diff seem to feel weird. the camber bolt on the passenger side was loose.

might have to hit the drag strip soon and see how it does.
                          Last edited by veilside180sx; 03-15-2008, 10:15 PM.

Comment

^Congrats, sounds good bro
                            "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Heres all the pictures i took. Current height. i might take it lower but this doesn't look bad. I'm much a happier with this height. the back matches the front alot better. and omg does it take bumps like a stock car. I find the braking to be a bit better too with a bit less nose diveing. sorry the i work 7-7 so its always dark out when i home.

pics of the rears, theres tons of travel. and i can go down 3/4 of an inch on the perch.

Then theres the front. with cut bumpstop. about 2 inches or more of travel before the bumpstop.

whats left of the gc kit

The struts before install

The rears before the tophats. i actually didn't need that spacer just the 15 washers and then the d2 tophats.

Installed

Comment

Working...
                              X