Koni suspension --- Part 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koni suspension --- Part 3

Well, I might as well start up a new thread for this round of suspension upgrades.

The new hotness for 2008... 8611's up front and 8610's in the rear to work with Z32 uprights. Spring rates will stay the same, 550F/400R, but might change depending how the first few track days go.

A new knob to play with...

I did have to run down to the local machinist today to have them enlarge the I.D. of the tophat from 20mm to 24mm due to the girth of the 86XX shaft.

I resorted to using a pickle fork and a 5lb sledge to get the S13 rear upright off tonight...

And a comparison of the Z32 uprights (top) to the S13 uprights (bottom)... I'm still shocked now light the Z32's are . I still need to knock out the seal on the Z32 upright, I soaked it PB blaster and will knock or cut it out tomorrow morning.
    -Monty

The shaft diameter of the 8611's is 22mm BTW.

I need to get on my install!
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

That seal on the Z32 upright will just tap out with a hammer and screwdriver.

Are people having a hard time getting these uprights? I've got a spare set in my garage.
      She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Epstein - I actually need another set for some development work. I'll shoot you a PM.

A local junkyard wants $65/ea for Q45 rear uprights(same as Z32). Makes them stupid expensive for pulling them yourself even on the 50% off day(Wednesday). If they were more reasonable I'd take a half day off on Wednesday and get to pulling me some uprights.

Comment

Originally posted by Epstein View Post
          That seal on the Z32 upright will just tap out with a hammer and screwdriver.

Are people having a hard time getting these uprights? I've got a spare set in my garage.
          That's what I was trying last night, but it wasn't going. It should go this morning after soaking all night.

I got my uprights off Zilvia for $70 shipped IIR.
          -Monty

Comment

OK, the seals came right out this morning... it did help to flip the uprights over, it seems they only want to come out one way .
            -Monty

Comment

Finally got the drivers rear buttoned up. For as many nissan nuts/bolts that I have laying around the garage I didn't have anything in the right length to work with the Z32 lower mount... so I bought some grade 8 bolts at the hardware store today.

I noticed that I lost some droop, not sure how that will affect things, if at all. Left is with the 8610, Right is the Koni Yellow.
              -Monty

Comment

Given that your springs aren't compressed at all at full droop on either, I don't think it matters. Your shocks aren't going to let the wheels go below where the spring pushes them in real usage.

I've thought about going with a tender spring setup in the rear to get a little more actual droop travel that might help things be "smoother" out back on big bumps.

Comment

The 8610 shocks you've installed are shorter than the standard Sports aren't they? If so, that could be it.

Comment

Def - Yeah, after thinking about it some more I'm not that worried. I'm pretty sure they have as much droop as the Silkroads that I took off last fall. I will probably have to go to a 8" spring in the back though. Currently I have a 400lb 7" spring and I have the perch adjusted all the way to the top... and I'm still about 1" lower than I want to be back there. Luckily, I have a 440lb 8" eibachs in the garage that I can swap to.

Raen419 - Overall the 8610 setup is shorter, I'll post a picture later if I remember to snap a shot.
                    -Monty

Comment

Yes, please post pics of your car on the ground with your current 8610 setup in the rear, because I'd like to see what kind of ride height you're at.

Then again, I can always measure my entire coilover's length to give Veilside180sx an idea of how long of a housing to make
                      http://sosideways.wordpress.com/

Comment

A quick comparison of the Koni yellow -vs- Richards housings (S13 with Z32 uprights) with an 86XX insert.

I cranked the perch up until the spring was tight against the pillow mount.

And this is the max ride your going to get, in the back, with the 8610-1436 insert and the housings that I have. The rear is about 1/2 to 1" lower than I wanted. I guess I can add a 10mm spacer up front and drop the front down to get the car level again... or just not worry about it for a while and see how it goes.
                        Last edited by veilside180sx; 03-09-2008, 09:20 PM.
                        -Monty

Comment

Funny thing, is that ride height is about an inch higher than most other people want.=)
                          Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

That's too low? Are you trying to run a stock 27.x" fender height?

I know a certain S13 with Z32 rears that that could use that setup at that height.... if you need a quick out to get something taller.
                            She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Chris, I need the height to clear the 275 RA-1's mostly. Also, I live in a very hilly area and I need the extra ground clearance to keep the nose and muffler from dragging all the time .

I'm thinking this setup will work
                              -Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X