Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody actually run Koni Yellows and GC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody actually run Koni Yellows and GC?

I mean at all four corners.

I'm curious what kind of clearance issues there are. What kind of travel there is when lowered.

I just bought some Stance Camber Plates, they have a 3/4in. inner diameter, and i have no idea if they will work with Yellows.

I'm trying real hard not to go the easy route and buy KTS coilovers.

I have Yellows on my B14, but it's a little different up front. It's not as short on room as the S13.
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Yeah, I had ground controls on my old B13. I just don't see anyone using them on Yellows on a 240. I know everyone defaults to the JDM because that's what everyone does.

I'm worried about clearance issues running 17x9s and also finding a camber plate that will work.

Comment

With the price difference being 200-300 dollars for a custom housing setup it doesnt make sense to go with the off the shelf Koni/GC for the front. I'm sure there are exceptions.

EDIT:
        If you run 15's w/ 205-50-15's you could pull it off. If you're on a budget and the car is stock this could be an option.
        Last edited by ckcadavona; 01-07-2008, 02:18 PM.
        Addicted to Motorsports

Comment

Definitely. My reasoning on going 8611's up front vs. yellows that are slightly lowered in the stock housing is that the 8611's are sure to offer more travel. I've seen too many E36/E46 M3 guys crack their shock towers from continually being on the bump stops at the track, not to mention it handles like ass the minute it gets bumpy in a corner.

It may seem like a lot the first time around, but it costs more to redo it a second time around and eat the heavy depreciation of suspension components. Me and my K-Sports know this lesson all too well!
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I'm looking at spending:

Konis_ 587
            GC_ 420
            tein plates_ 140

That's $1147, which really isn't all that cheap.

Beleive me, I have been thinking a lot about going 8610's up front. I would get the extra travel and clearance I really want. But, the price goes up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

8610_ 330
            housings_ 350
            rear yellows_ 240
            Tein Plates_ 140
            GC_ 420

$1,480, That is a substantial increase. And what are the possible issues with running mismatched dampeners?

This is a budget build for a track car. I don't even have the car running yet (fingers crossed for Monday) So a lot has to happen to this car to get it on the track.

I don't have much scratch to spend. Unless someone buys my M3 and then it will all be good.

Comment

I hear what you're saying, but if you really plan on tracking your car a lot, I'd really look into spending a little more up front and getting a solution you know you shouldn't have problems with.

Maybe try to find some GC coilovers used - I found some. The spring lengths aren't ideal, but I'll cobble together something and make it work for way less than $400.

The yellows might work fine, but I have a feeling you'll be constantly stuck between wanting to lower the car to get the cg down up front and then running out of shock travel.

As far as mismatched dampers, shock damping shouldn't be the same for a front/rear shock on the same car, so I don't see going with a reasonably well matched yellow with a reasonable spring rate in the rear causing a problem. If anything, the 86 series strut up front will offer damping BETTER matched to the higher spring rates you'd want to run up there to keep the macpherson strut from doing its thing to kill camber.

Comment

BTW - what body M3 you have? I have an E36 M3 sedan as a daily. It's my second E36 M3, and I love those cars for street driving.

Comment

I'll have to play the koni decision by ear. It's still a little while off, i'll have time to think about it.

But is it safe to say that no one in the NRR community has every had yellows on their 240? I would be the first to do it?

Def, this is my beloved for sale M3. I agree, I've never owned a more perfect car. I wish I could keep it.

Comment

^^^ Awesome M3. I wanted one so badly, but couldn't afford one.

So I bought a 240.

Comment

Regarding used GC kits, what is different with kits from other cars other than spring rates? Do they use different diameter sleeves? The GC site seems to be down and I can't find any tech info on them.
                      ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                      ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Almost all kits use sleeves meant for 2.5" ID springs(or 64mm in metric terms GC sometimes uses), which is what you'd need.

The big difference I can see is that the sleeve length varies between kits, and you don't get the same top spring perch arrangement. For the price used GC kits go for, and the fact that I'm probably going to need to "custom" something on my setup, I figured I could easily make up the cost and get something that works for what I need first time around.

I do need me some longer springs though, I got an RSX kit and it's got 6" long 6.6 kg/mm springs and 5" long 7.5 kg/mm springs (multiply by 56 to get lb/in). I'm thinking the 6" ones *might* work in the rear on some Z32 Konis, but the 5" ones are likely coilbind city on the front. It looks like the RSX guy had the same problem since the 5" springs are heavily marked between coils.

Comment

The easiest place to pick up springs used is on roadrace-autox.com classifieds.

GC does use a 1.75" ID sleeve for some of the Honda applications, but it's pretty rare. The rest of the GC stuff is touch over 2 ID, any of which will work.
                          Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Good to know, thanks.

5" springs Def!?? Damn, no wonder that guy had issues. There can't be much travel there, hitting any kind of pothole/bump must have sucked with that setup.
                            ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                            ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                              Good to know, thanks.

5" springs Def!?? Damn, no wonder that guy had issues. There can't be much travel there, hitting any kind of pothole/bump must have sucked with that setup.
                              It seems like both of them have a total force of ~1200 lbs to coilbind, which might not be enough for my car, but the 5" springs sure don't give much travel for a big bump, that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X