Suspension Options for RAMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Options for RAMM

I've spent quite a bit of time with a Stance setup since Alex has them. They are marginal...at best. (well as much as any other JDMish setup is) The KTS/Stance shock dyno's are pretty darn close and if you HAVE to go with a premade coilover...then that's going to be about as good as you'll find without going with a real suspension manufacturer. (Koni, Bilstein, Penske, Moton, Ohlins) You can't go wrong replacing the crappy worn out bushing arms/rods of the stock car. I would replace all of that, or at least what you can afford to. Starting with tension rods, ruca, traction, and toe. Make sure you get quality heims with whatever you decide on purchasing.
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Suspension Options for RAMM

Well, im coming to the point where i need to find a suspension that would suit my needs. I figure im going to easily drop over 1200 into a suspension setup, so i should get as many opinions as possible. Weight: Full weight S14 Se Type of Driving: Serious Lapping Days Ok well i've really been considering the Stance GR+ suspension heres the link http://www.stance-usa.com/plus.php Also considering doing RUCA's for rear camber adjustability, and tension rods for caster adjustability. Probably going to upgrade to a 30mm front sway bar. Overall impression of this setup? Forgetting something? Spring rate opinions? Feel free to totally tell me the trust, im still learning and i would like to take the "correct" modding path that would best suit my driving style. Thanks, Alex
    http://eloquentlytrack.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ramm
      Type of Driving: Serious Lapping Days
      Serious starts with Koni Yellows and ends with Ohlins/ Moton/ Bilstein/ Koni/ Penske multiple adjustables. Anything else is pretty much for looks and looks alone. The jist of it is: dampers are what control the movement of your wheels/ chassis. Control over such movement is what keeps your tires in contact with the pavement. Crappier dampers will fail to do this, and this leads to less traction regardless of the road surface. If you're serious, start with something that actually works, and that will be upgradeable in the future. At the moment, the cheapest such solution is Koni yellows.

Comment

X 2 Koni is pushing the "easy" button but works damn good.

Comment

This is exactly what i wanted to see from you guys... Im really taking your guy's advice and am going to start researching to find out what i exactly need. Im not that familiar with these type of suspension setups, so if im looking for an entry level suspension like the Yellows, then what other components would i need...im really lost right now Lets say my budget is 1300...what could i get in terms of dampening, ride height, camber, toe, caster adjustment. I need to start piecing together my kit asap...thanks guys

Comment

This is exactly what i wanted to see from you guys... Im really taking your guy's advice and am going to start researching to find out what i exactly need. Im not that familiar with these type of suspension setups, so if im looking for an entry level suspension like the Yellows, then what other components would i need...im really lost right now Lets say my budget is 1300...what could i get in terms of dampening, ride height, camber, toe, caster adjustment. I need to start piecing together my kit asap...thanks guys
            8610s up front and Yellows in the back w/ GC sleeves and Tein camber plates. Pretty much McCoy's setup... his thread said that he had spent $1400, IIRC? This is probably a good enough setup for most people. Also get tension rods to adjust caster... about $210 from SPL.

Comment

Originally posted by spool_sample
              8610s up front and Yellows in the back w/ GC sleeves and Tein camber plates. Pretty much McCoy's setup... his thread said that he had spent $1400, IIRC? This is probably a good enough setup for most people.
              here is a breakdown of what it would cost to duplicate mine... the only place that I'm not 100% sure on is the GC kit, mine is a mix of a sentra, G20, and VW parts. I think there is an easier way to do this and it might just require a call to GC to resolve it. For the price you can't go wrong...
              Originally posted by McCoy
              -Koni 8610-1436RACE inserts, fronts (price may vary) --- $330 <-- can be purchased through Richard -Koni yellow sports, rears --- $200 <-- same source as above -Custom 86XX housings, front --- $350 <--- Richard -Tein camber plates & pillowmounts --- $280 <-- FRsport.com -Ground Control kit --- $400 <--- might want to deal with GC on this one and ask for a rubber tophat for the G20, this is the one that I got. Also ask for a rear tophat with a 18-20mm I.D. -Misc bearings from Mcmaster Carr --- $20 Total, your looking at around $1500 (all new parts) plus the cost of shipping for some of these and any other misc pieces you need to find on the way. You can cut costs by purchasing used and looking for good deals if your patient.
              -Monty

Comment

It's worth waiting the extra month or two and do it once and do it right.
                Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Im also planning on driving this car pretty frequently...how would the Koni set up hold up to the rigors of everyday driving? Im also only planning on doing 3-4 track days this upcoming season, im a broke college student. And this is also going to be my first season with the car. Honestly, for the type of driving im going to be doing everyday and at the track, wouldn't the Stance setup hold up just fine?

Comment

For a DD I would most definetly go with the Koni's over the Stance... I've only been able to drive on my Koni setup for a short while and I'm loving it.
                    -Monty

Comment

Im also planning on driving this car pretty frequently...how would the Koni set up hold up to the rigors of everyday driving?
                      Then you really want the Konis. My NX on Konis with 425/500's rides better than my street SE-R with much softer springs and AGX's.

Comment

Originally posted by Blair
                        Then you really want the Konis. My NX on Konis with 425/500's rides better than my street SE-R with much softer springs and AGX's.
                        My Konis with 550/400lb springs ride better than my Silkroads with 333/300lb springs... or my SE-R with 350/300lb springs on AGX struts.
                        -Monty

Comment

Where do you plan to do your events? I saw the mwir.net link in your sig and assume you're in/around Chicago? As a Chicago denizen and track day enthusiast myself, I'd really recommend the Konis, although if you want my Stances, they'll be for sale this summer...
                          ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                          ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Well, PM me the info on the Stances por favor yes, i live in burb west of chicago The tracks im looking to hit up with the car are Gingerman, Putnam park, Road America, Blackhawk (maybe), and Autobahn (maybe).

Comment

Cool, I live in the West Loop area now, but kinda grew up in the western suburbs. I'll shoot you a PM about my Stances. I've been to Gingerman and Putnam park in my S14 or my last one (w/ the same suspension). G-man is really tight and technical, but its cheap and fun. I'd love to go to Road America, but it's expensive to run up there. Putnam is a nice flowing track, I like it, but a little far, and there is one really tight corner that's kind of obnoxious. Mid Ohio comes highly recommended by the PCA guys I talked with at Putnam.
                              ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                              ~2016 M3, daily driver

Comment

Working...
                              X