How to tell if the VVL solenoids are on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to tell if the VVL solenoids are on

This is a really stupid question I know. I have in my haltech elite the solenoids "active state High" "driver type high side" and at idle they make no difference (sound wise) at idle when I have them "active". Shouldn't they induce a lope when they are activated at idle since I would be on the high cams? The Ecu is showing them activated, but now I'm super confused to say the least.

Things I've already checked.

-wiring - good. One wire on each grounded to the head, the other wire is fed by the output from the Ecu. Hence they are going "active" as programmed.

-I've confirmed the routing of the lines, the solenoids are correct from images I've reviewed. Anyone with experience please input.

You should hear a loud click when they activate (sitting in front of the engine bay that is).

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
    96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

Yeah I figure I'll pull the block and test the solenoids off the car and then check the activation from the Ecu/harness actively to see if it's that the Ecu isn't driving with enough amperage. The output is a 1A.

Comment

That's not enough, the solenoids are ~7 ohms.

Comment

Oh snap

Comment

Can the solenoids be powered independently of the ECU??

For anything that needs an independent source, I bought a 0-18 Volt/0-3A power supply from Amazon and power then up to the required voltage and test the solenoids or whatever apparatus I am testing.

May be worth a thought, unless you can use the standalone to set solenoid activation (RPM activation for example with RPM @ 0 RPM or something like that for instance).

Comment

Yeah it can do it, but per his input of them being 7 ohms I would need almost 2 amps per output. The outputs I'm using are 1amp max.

Comment

Aren't the solenoids independent?? If so, can't you power them individually??

Comment

You can, but a lot of people don't.

www.2LiterTurbo.com (Personal Site)
                  96 240SX SE: Track Car | 90 Skyline GTR: Bucket List Car | 07 Legacy Spec B: The DD

Comment

I would definitely run these off a relay. That's how I have mine setup.

In general the only direct loads my ECU sees are relays and then LEDs and really low current stuff like that.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
                      Aren't the solenoids independent?? If so, can't you power them individually??
                      Yes, they are and they are always powered, your enabling a ground to switch them on, therefore whatever you use has to sink around 2A each.

Comment

BEXE - Disconnect your solenoid plug and measure the impedance between the pins, Ive seen and read anywhere from 7-13 ohms. My comment above (2A each) is the safe number.

Comment

Yeah I disconnected the common ground and changed it to a supplied 12v 10amp. Then changed the haltech for signal ground. @ roughly 50 psi and 1500 rpm they kicked in fine. They won't kick at idle due to the lack of pressure.

Comment

Make sure it's not leaking oil inside the solenoid plug. it's common for them to go bad that way too.

Comment

I figured out I had the supply/trigger wired wrong due to the haltech having low amp outputs. It could have possibly been the beers I had while wiring and it being late at night. They work now though. Crossing my fingers I'm in town next Friday for some dyno time.

Comment

Working...
                              X