Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaining back some power and milage on my KA24DE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaining back some power and milage on my KA24DE?

Hey guys,

So I am going to be taking the car out soon (question of weather).. I have some more serious issues to sort out prior to track days but I also want to do some regular maintenance and extra step here and there. I put her to sleep in November after driving for about 3 weeks after the major project rebuild... all is well overall however....

What are some things to regain power/gain power, and milage.?

o2 sensor definitely needs replacement, how many does our KA24DE 91 have? I've been told we have two? And that there are two wire and three wire versions? My car used to be auto when I first bought it but it was since converted to a manual... if that matters. I still run the auto ecu

In November I put 10w40 redline oil and k&n gold oil filter, new oil pan (mine was bent lol), i got an msd blaster installed, 10mm race wires from magnecor,

Two-three years ago I also put a new distributor cap, iridum spark plugs, ebay cone air intake and z32 fuel filter.

I def wana put some new spark plugs in and the cone air intake is dirty as hell... o2 sensor probably has never been changed and I ran that **** that cleans the carbon so I heard that messes up the o2.. so its definetely something i wana do..

Is there anything that I'm missing or not thinking about sensor wise that should be replaced for some healthy gain in power and milage.

I removed the top and side timing chain guides no more marbles lol but thats unrelated... new engine and tranny mount but thats unrelated...

i installed new 2.5" brm exhaust and the cat he supplied me... so thats fresh.

New clutch xtd stage 3 clutch kit with the chromoyl 10lbs flywheel.

On the other end... I have something loose in the fuel tank and while I'm at it i thought id get a walbro fuel pump which i can have with the installation kit for relatively good price from slippery locally... (i was getting fuel starvation issue while under hard cornering also which is funny something is def loose).

It's a well built all around car, but i need to sort out some of these minor basic issues...

So:
    -o2 sensor (where/how much/which?)
    -z32 fuel filter (best price?)
    -spark plugs (go iridum again? which one, i may wana tune for 91 octane i am going v8 after ka24de so gotta extract NA as much without turbo)
    -aem power intake best price place for cone one?
    -anything im missing sensor/whatever maintenance-wise?

I am obviously in Ontario, Canada so I'll source the stuff the best I can, but thought I'd open a simple discussion on this basic stuff
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

O2 Sensor - not really sure why you would want to replace this unless you know it is broken, plus it is ignored by the computer at WOT. I think there is a real-time diagnostic mode for the o2 sensor, though i have never tried it. It will tell you when the car goes into closed loop mode. I think there is only 1 on all S13s.

Annother thing to think of is a grounding kit. Get the cheapest one possible or make it yourself. In many cases they do help with idle and performance.

Comment

If your going V8 I would just do regular maint. stuff and up keep it and use the money you wanna spend for mods on mods that'll carry over to the V8 swap unless u plan on keeping this KA for a while...

A header would be nice to complete that Exhaust
      An LW Driveshaft can help free up some loss power due to rotational mass
      Some Pulleys would help also, though I would look into an ATI Damper before an Underdriven Crank Pulley...

and probably the best thing you could do is Cams and a Tune...

Comment

Yea i'll be staying NA KA for a while, already got a 1piece alum driveshaft. Wouldnt mind to get the ati damper but thats like 400 lol... the header and a cat would def free up some power but thats noisy as hell... and cams and a tune would definetely be mega awesome but im looking at 400 probably for that too... will see... i might just do it.. cuz i wont have money for the v8 for a while
        "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Above all I would recommend the Cams and a Tune...

Comment

What cams would you guys recommend while still having stock head, valves, etc... 248/248?
            Last edited by a_ahmed; 02-26-2009, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I would recommend Kelfords...

Comment

I wouldn't even bother with stuff like a loud exhaust really. What's the point of an annoying buzzy 4 banger exhaust note for like 2-3 HP?

With a turbo you're talking big power, but on an NA car it's pretty stupid unless you're really pushing things. I'd run a stockish exhaust if I could, like a muffler from a WRX or something with some marginally larger piping like 2.25-2.5". Should get plenty of any additional power there is and be pretty quiet if you really just must do something.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                  I wouldn't even bother with stuff like a loud exhaust really. What's the point of an annoying buzzy 4 banger exhaust note for like 2-3 HP?

With a turbo you're talking big power, but on an NA car it's pretty stupid unless you're really pushing things. I'd run a stockish exhaust if I could, like a muffler from a WRX or something with some marginally larger piping like 2.25-2.5". Should get plenty of any additional power there is and be pretty quiet if you really just must do something.

Were gonna Avg. out the two 60mm's so we get 136whp and 146wtrq

Now for the 80mm were also gonna do the same thing and we get 144whp and 145wtrq

So all in all you do nothing but gain with a 3" Exhaust, so the 3" has 1 less lbs of trq, I'm sure that could be avg'd out with another dyno run or even lower the 60mm numbers if another run was done.

Comment

Yes, I know you make more up top power with a 3" exhaust, and it becomes the most obnoxious long stroke NA 4 banger exhaust note ever. Although I'm still not sure what your no word reply is suppose to be saying... nothing new to me that's for sure.

If you'll notice, I talked about noise vs. power - smaller exhaust piping size does wonders for keeping the sound down all things being equal.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                      Yes, I know you make more up top power with a 3" exhaust, and it becomes the most obnoxious long stroke NA 4 banger exhaust note ever. Although I'm still not sure what your no word reply is suppose to be saying... nothing new to me that's for sure.

If you'll notice, I talked about noise vs. power - smaller exhaust piping size does wonders for keeping the sound down all things being equal.
                      My no word response was just that, a back to back dyno without my opinion. The OP can decide if it is worth it.

I have a N/A with a 3" exhaust, I think its worth it, that is my opinion. I had an EXTRA Magnaflow resonator put in the exhaust and its not any louder than it was with the cheap 2.5" exhaust I had before.

Comment

honestly i got the BRM 2.5" with a cat and 22" resonator and its still loud for me (stripped interior, solid engine/tranny/exhaust mounts/hangers, blabla and top/side chain guides removed)

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
                          honestly i got the BRM 2.5" with a cat and 22" resonator and its still loud for me (stripped interior, solid engine/tranny/exhaust mounts/hangers, blabla and top/side chain guides removed)
                          I've got an RSR EXMAG on my S14 when I was NA, it was 80mm of hell for a daily. Now its a lesser 80mm of hell boosted. IMHO a few extra horses is not worth it if you're on an NA KA, may be I'm just old .

Comment

Nice post ecugrad, thats my little take on 240SXForums KA section huh? (240-kid)

I personally have an Blitz Nur on my KA and I love the way it sounds and doesnt come close to 1/2 the ricers on the road and it sounds perfectly fine fore me, like stated previously the OP can decide weather he wants 3" or not...

Comment

My n/a ka doesn't make much exhaust noise, but most of the noise are coming in from my drive drain through the aluminum subframe/diff bushing. Yeah...I know it is kinda harsh for daily, but my old one was in bad shape so I just want to do a one time fix. There will be future plan later on for the car when I actually make money.

Comment

Working...
                              X