Does it look alright? (KA24DE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it look alright? (KA24DE)

My friend just traded his MKIII Supra for this S14.

Previous owner told us that it was smoking black smoke (but ran fine) and it has burnt valves so he took the head off and lost motivation. What can you tell from these pictures?

Last edited by Rovch; 09-17-2013, 06:31 PM.

Probably valve seals, but could be rings. But I'd bet on something in the head causing the oily residue and black as hell combustion chamber.

It could just be running really rich, but I'd think it would not be as oily looking as that if that were the case. Black smoke does indicate rich sometimes, but it could be a good amount of oil.

I'd test the seal on the valves, and probably go ahead and replace the seals. Maybe do a quick and dirty oil leaking past the rings test.

If it's running rich and stock it's probably just a dead sensor. But you'd have to get it running and do some troubleshooting to even know where to begin to look.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

You'd see an overly rich condition washing away a lot of the soot in the pictures there wouldn't you?

My money would be on the valve seals.
      '95 240sx

Comment

Unless its REALLY rich to the point of not running well, soot buildup in the pistons is normal.

I'd again vote for some sensor issues causing the rest of the problems. Do an overhaul of the head and re-ring the block for good measure.
        The block and head are simply air pumps, but they're obviously pumping more than just air.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I thought it could of been just valve stem seals, but again I don't know how bad it was smoking and under what conditions did it smoke. Nor can I do a compression test to hopefully see if rings are still good.

Comment

The reason why I'm thinking either oil or excess fuel is getting in there is the exhaust valves are sooty and black. Normally they're a brownish color like a spark plug electrode. Spot is normal, but that definitely had more combustion stuff in there than it needed.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Agree w/ Def. it could have been something as simple as a catch can/intake plumbed improperly or a drilled-out PCV. crap like that done years ago will take an engine down and people never figure out why they keep running smoky engines.

but yeah, it does look like extra oil-- how did it get there? rebuild the head, replace the rings, and check the PCV plumbing, and you've eliminated almost all common sources of the problem just doing a routine refresh.
              Originally posted by SoSideways
              I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
              '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
              X