V8 swaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 swaps

So it seems... everyone has caught on the cheaper LS series motors being cheap.. and now they are no longer cheap...

I was hoping to get an L33... all aluminum (vs the iron block or iron head variants)... but it seems what once was 500$ now a days is 1000+ same with t56 transmissions... their price went up.. to top it off.. up here in canada everything is MORE.. if only I was in texas.. the land of v8 luv haha...

So.. I hope no one catches on too fast.. but VH45DE with a z32 tranny or z33 tranny seems like a good idea... seems 'affordable' in contrast... hopefully prices dont jack up soon.. getting 300whp should be plenty of fun.. and vh45de sound very very sexy!

There aren't as many mods for the vh45de compared to chevy blocks but there are... and of course they aren't as responsive to mods as ls blocks but hey!

What do you guys say?
    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Texan here. Prices aren't that great either here. Still gotta pay to play.

Also, I had a LS swapped S14, now an LS swapped FD, and I can tell you that you will want more than stock power rather quickly... So I would vote no on the VH45DE as it will end up costing about the same to swap. And when you want more power you will have to do something crazy, not just be able to throw a cam in and get 60 rwhp.

Comment

I think that the Chevy would be a cheaper option, depending upon mounting costs with the VH. 300whp would be near the starting power point with the LS, after you have to redo the exhaust and other items involved with getting the motor in the chassis.

That being said I think the biggest factor would be how easily the VH can drop in the 240. If you can you reuse motor and tranny mounts, OEM manifolds (if they were to be used), and driveshaft made the VH maybe a better path to your power goals.

Also would the vh be able to make the lower end torque of the LS?

Comment

Originally posted by a_ahmed View Post
        So it seems... everyone has caught on the cheaper LS series motors being cheap.. and now they are no longer cheap...

I was hoping to get an L33... all aluminum (vs the iron block or iron head variants)... but it seems what once was 500$ now a days is 1000+ same with t56 transmissions... their price went up.. to top it off.. up here in canada everything is MORE.. if only I was in texas.. the land of v8 luv haha...

So.. I hope no one catches on too fast.. but VH45DE with a z32 tranny or z33 tranny seems like a good idea... seems 'affordable' in contrast... hopefully prices dont jack up soon.. getting 300whp should be plenty of fun.. and vh45de sound very very sexy!

There aren't as many mods for the vh45de compared to chevy blocks but there are... and of course they aren't as responsive to mods as ls blocks but hey!

What do you guys say?
        If you're that worried about price, you can always go with a 1UZ and get a z33 trans. But even in the best days, I don't believe a shortblock L33 could have been had for 5 bills, let alone a complete motor. I saw some guy doing backflips over getting a bare lq9 I think for $400.
        FWIW, I think the L76, LFA, and LS4s are all aluminum too. Or look into the L92 and you can still de-VVT it; they CAN be found for around 2k as a complete motor.
        Last edited by Beejis60; 09-01-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

A basic SR swap will do 400 rwhp reliably for the same cost to get a 300 rwhp LS swap and be lighter to boot.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

$500, 3 LM4's local to me at that price. Not sure where the problem is, alum 290hp

You can keep your supposed 400rwhp "reliably" SR and its false lighter weight.

Because in reality by the time you install a transmission that will hold up reliably, and the added weight of that and an intercooler, the weight savings is minimal, the money aspect is barely there, and you've still got a whole lot of torque missing.

T56's otoh are indeed a bish, though the chevy pattern bellhousing is available for the R154...

Comment

If you're stuck on having a V8, stick with the LS based engine. VH/VK/etc. are too big dimensionally and as stated...have no aftermarket. The ability to go on LS1tech and Summit and buy almost everything you need is an often overlooked aspect that makes life so much easier when staying with the LSx. And, while the LS is a terrible sounding engine most of the time...pipe it through an Apex'i GT Spec and all of a sudden it's a beautiful thing. I honestly have had very few problems with the T56 and have come to love the feel of it. Also have to love getting 30+mpg because 6th is .5 to 1 (out of the F-body version).

Comment

Originally posted by Z28ricer View Post
                $500, 3 LM4's local to me at that price. Not sure where the problem is, alum 290hp
                I believe LM4s are iron block though and it seems OP wants an aluminum block...

Originally posted by LS14 View Post
                If you're stuck on having a V8, stick with the LS based engine. VH/VK/etc. are too big dimensionally and as stated...have no aftermarket. The ability to go on LS1tech and Summit and buy almost everything you need is an often overlooked aspect that makes life so much easier when staying with the LSx. And, while the LS is a terrible sounding engine most of the time...pipe it through an Apex'i GT Spec and all of a sudden it's a beautiful thing. I honestly have had very few problems with the T56 and have come to love the feel of it. Also have to love getting 30+mpg because 6th is .5 to 1 (out of the F-body version).
                I wouldn't say the VH/VK is too big as many people have done that swap... However, the aftermarket does suck and if there were cam swaps available, you'll need two or four, not just one like the pushrod motors. As for the sound, I love the LS sound and I've heard some proper sounding VHs and VKs. But in the end, with all the BS to try to get a Ford, a VH/VK, or a UZ to put down a lot more power, you'll be better off running an LS-based motor, even if it's an iron block.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                  I believe LM4s are iron block though and it seems OP wants an aluminum block...

The LM4 is aluminum block, the LR4 and LM7 are iron counterparts, remember, just because you believe something, doesn't make it true.

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                  I wouldn't say the VH/VK is too big as many people have done that swap... However, the aftermarket does suck and if there were cam swaps available, you'll need two or four, not just one like the pushrod motors. As for the sound, I love the LS sound and I've heard some proper sounding VHs and VKs. But in the end, with all the BS to try to get a Ford, a VH/VK, or a UZ to put down a lot more power, you'll be better off running an LS-based motor, even if it's an iron block.

Just because someone has done the swap doesn't mean it isn't ridiculous big in comparison. Realistically the VH and VK's, even the 1uz in comparison once into the engine bay VS an LSx setup are huge, and far from ideal, without even getting into the clearance issues of the factory accessorys, not to mention an extreme reduction in header room.

Comment

i guess one option i could do is get a magnum t56 (which i would want looking at used t56.. might as well buy a new magnum t56 knowing im getting) and get a cheaper end ls variant aluminum block for now... then later down the road take that poop out, get an ls1, or something better/newer. Ideally I'd love to have an ls3/ls7 but then who wouldn't haha...

it's true that the 1ufze and vh/vk are fairly massive... and 1ufze sucks on power.. might as well go for a vq35de then. The only advantage with vh45de from what i understand is forged internals.
                    "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

The magnum looked like an amazing option, I was ready to buy one, then it turned out to be not so great.

They were designed for bolting into old muscle cars with the shifter location being further forwards, it would have put my shifter way forwards and my mounts are setback considerably compared to the readily available crap on the market. There are several places that will convert, or sell you a converted one for the Fbody/GTO style dimensions, but it completely ruins the cost advantages because they're around $4000 to start. Let alone the extra gear and static weight that gets them their additional strength giving you nothing but a loss considering the weight of an schassis.

If something in the magnum price range is doable for you then you may want to check with some of the common builders, a rebuilt fbody version can be had for similar money to the magnum.

Comment

ideally what i meant was if money was no option an ls3/ls7 + magnum t56 would be epic... so the only reason to not double spend was to get the magnum from the get go since locally they were selling them regular t56 for 3k so wtf... if the magnum can be had for that same money and brand new might as well get that...

Frickin t56 used to be 1000$

Comment

$4000ish isn't the same money.

The $2895 new magnum wont work.

I don't remember seeing much for $1000 flat T56's as plentiful, typically anywhere from 1400-1800 has always been the norm for an LS1 model, and they're still available, though I don't see your gripe as logical since its simple supply vs demand, the usable versions for swaps are from the Camaro, firebird, and gto, a total of 8 model years of lower production numbers for a transmission that everyone wants.

What doesn't make sense is tremec not already having that layout as an off the shelf option for the same price as the one they do offer.

Comment

Also I don't see how youre listing the magnum as "epic" for a no holds barred option, since the magnum will get you no benefit compared to a T56 in an schassis, sure if you had a 3500-4000 LB Camaro, gto, chevelle, yes, a 2800lb schassis, isn't going to get any sort of benefit out of the widened gears of the 6060.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28ricer View Post

You can keep your supposed 400rwhp "reliably" SR and its false lighter weight.

Because in reality by the time you install a transmission that will hold up reliably, and the added weight of that and an intercooler, the weight savings is minimal, the money aspect is barely there, and you've still got a whole lot of torque missing.

T56's otoh are indeed a bish, though the chevy pattern bellhousing is available for the R154...
                              Not false that it's lighter weight. Every LSx S chasiss I've seen go on scales has left the owners a little shocked that it weighs so freaking much when the internet wisdom is that the engine is no heavier than a KA. The trans weight isn't all that much, but even with all sorts of aftermarket stuff (lightweight flywheel, headers, aftermarket lighter driveshaft etc.), it's still quite a bit heavier than a KA24DE. And an SR can be quite a bit lighter than a KA.

As for an intercooler being very heavy, a nice tube and fin intercooler kit weighs maybe 8-12 lbs. It's not very much at all. The cheap bar and plate ICs are heavy, but I'd hardly call that the benchmark.
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                              X