Small Displacement V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Displacement V8

I was thinking about V8 swaps recently and I know everyone goes for the LSx series engines but was also wondering if they are any small displacement V8's to use that might not be so heavy. Just seems like anything over 5 L is overkill. Any thoughts on this?

2.7L more up your alley?
    Radical V8

Comment

nissan has 4.5 and 5.0 V8's
      I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Are they aluminum block though?
        '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
        '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
        '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
        '81 BMW R65

Comment

an LSX is probably one of the lightest production V8s you can buy - for reasonable $$$ at least... If you want something else with a good power/weight ratio you could always look into a VQ35

Comment

LS1 is lighter than Nissan's DOHC V8 engines that have 30% less power. The heads on Nissan's engines are HUGE, so they move a ton of weight well above the block. you also have lots more moving parts with all those cams, chains, and valves.

As much as I like to keep a nissan engine in my nissan, you can't argue with the simplicity and output of an LS1.
            Originally posted by SoSideways
            I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
            '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
            '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

If you are that determined to have small displacement, the LSx engine family goes down to 4.8L, and will be lighter and smaller than any other V8 you're going to find with some sort of decent output.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                LS1 is lighter than Nissan's DOHC V8 engines that have 30% less power. The heads on Nissan's engines are HUGE, so they move a ton of weight well above the block. you also have lots more moving parts with all those cams, chains, and valves.

As much as I like to keep a nissan engine in my nissan, you can't argue with the simplicity and output of an LS1.
                That's the second problem I have is it's not nissan. I'm not into swapping manufacturers. Not that it matters.. at all, I just don't like to do it. The first is that even in stock form the rubber and suspension it would take to get traction without aero would be a pretty penny. I don't like to go backwards through the pearly gates on fire.

On a second note, how heavy are the LS1's compared to the KA?

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                  nissan has 4.5 and 5.0 V8's
                  I'm thinking somewhere around 3. I do like that radical.

Comment

Hartley V8, 3.0L and 400+hp, weighs under 300lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Light View Post
                      That's the second problem I have is it's not nissan. I'm not into swapping manufacturers. Not that it matters.. at all, I just don't like to do it. The first is that even in stock form the rubber and suspension it would take to get traction without aero would be a pretty penny. I don't like to go backwards through the pearly gates on fire.

On a second note, how heavy are the LS1's compared to the KA?

Light compared to the KA, but hey, there isnt a nissan part number on it, better not use it, get something with less power, more weight, and takes up much more space, that's definetly the logical choice here.

Comment

L33. End thread

Comment

Sound sounds horrible but i guess its mic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ade3yFjZDUA
                          "hexa-dodecahedron-triple-threaded-super-eleventy-way-adjustment-spec" dampers. -Def

Comment

Originally posted by Z28ricer View Post
                            Light compared to the KA, but hey, there isnt a nissan part number on it, better not use it, get something with less power, more weight, and takes up much more space, that's definetly the logical choice here.
                            Your sarcasm doesn't help the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Light View Post
                              Your sarcasm doesn't help the discussion.

Neither does the mentality of :

I want a small V8

BUT

I want it to be light

BUT, no that one that fits the bill perfectly wont work, its not nissan.

The fact is exactly what you asked for is available, what you asked for isnt even close to available from nissan, in something that can come close in performance, both stock and modified, nor is something available from nissan that fits nearly as well.

Especially when if the car performs at all, neither is 90% of your suspension, wheels, and other parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X