Change of Exhaust note ect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Exhaust note ect

Since i have an extremely high gear set my car would hit the fifth gear governor at 94mph according to my GPS so i cut the yellow wire w/ black bands at the ECU a few months ago & this eliminated the governor... it also eliminated the rev limiter in all gears. I pulled out into very fast traffic a few weeks ago & i went a bit over redline in 2nd gear & there was this loud SSSHHBANG (sounded like it came from the exhaust). Car ran fine on the way home though with no issues but the next time i started it up, it idled extremely low & had a very odd exhaust note, almost like a sputter. It cleared up after a couple minutes then idled fine (didn't drive it). Today i started it up again & it idled normal, but that odd exhaust note was there & stayed there, & once the motor started to warm up a bit, the idle went low again. I took it for a test drive around the neighborhood, it seemed fine under load so i took it out on the highway & it still ran fine until it started to run a little hotter than normal, didn't over heat but i definitely kept an eye on it with the heater on. The oil & coolant looks / smells like they should, no leaks that i can see... anyone have any idea on what would cause the exhaust note change, low idle & running hotter than normal?
    Last edited by Tom Moore; 04-27-2012, 07:40 PM.

Let it sit and idle until it warms up, then look in the coolant reservoir for bubbles. You can have a head gasket leak that leaks combustion gases into the coolant system without getting water in the oil. If that's the case you'll have a stream of bubbles rising up in the reservoir that speeds up when you rev the engine. If that's the case it'll push coolant out of the radiator and into the reservoir and create an air pocket in your coolant system. It'll overheat like you'd expect with a coolant system that hasn't been bled properly.
    Don Johnson (really!)
    Just so you know.

Comment

Once i got home from today's drive, while the motor was still running, i gave everything a once over.. reservoir was fine.

Comment

I vote blown cat...
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
          I vote blown cat...
          No cat. Ebay Test pipe...

Comment

Anyone else?? Or am i being ignored like the plague?

Comment

Pull out plugs, check those out. Compression test.

No way to diagnose this (possible) problem without more data.
              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Plugs were full of carbon build up & had a bit of oil on them. Compression test is coming soon.

Comment

New NGK plugs & new Denso o2 sensor didn't help. Tapped the Maf with a screw driver, no stall or change in idle. Today it wouldn't even stay running at idle.

Comment

Compression test?
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Waiting on a buddy that has a tester. Stand by

Comment

They're cheap at vatozone. I think you can even rent them.
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Right on. AutoZone is in walking distance so i'll check if they rent them tomorrow. Don't have enough to buy one... down to my last $8.00 & i'm not even kidding.

Comment

Working...
                          X