Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWD SR block in S13 questions

Crazy idea, but this is not for my S13.

Does a RWD SR trans bolt up to a FWD SR block? I cannot find a clear answer online, just the usual NICO noise.

Are there bosses in about the same location on the sides of the block to build custom mounts for putting the engine in the car? It would be extra baller to move it back about 4-5", so if that makes it easier to fab up some mounts then it shall be done.

For a little back story, need a cheap engine that makes decent power in a Chump Car type build.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

As I understand, the tranny and such bolt up, but the heads are different.
    the cam sensor is on the wrong end of the head IIRC.

then there's the manifolds that are completely wrong but that's easy enough to change.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

No, the trannies do not bolt up, it's a different pattern from what I've heard. I'll verify that this week though. Somewhere on this site, there is a pic of a GTiR sr20 in an S13 though. He posted pics of the adapter plate that was made. I cannot for the life of me remember the thread though.

If you want measurements of anything off a tranny though, my buddy has a spare tranny for his GTi-R and I'd be more than glad to grab any numbers you want.
      My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

I've personally tried this. Fail. They don't bolt up. An adapter plate requires more length to the input shaft. And you need a ton of rwd parts anyways(mounts, pan/pickup, starter, clutch, etc.). Tried to put this combo in a l-series datsun pick-up. First an adapter plate was made to use the l-series trans. Fail. Then I brought down a spare rwd SR trans. Fail. We didn't take it any farther...

Comment

Originally posted by sil8y View Post
          I've personally tried this. Fail. They don't bolt up. An adapter plate requires more length to the input shaft. And you need a ton of rwd parts anyways(mounts, pan/pickup, starter, clutch, etc.). Tried to put this combo in a l-series datsun pick-up. First an adapter plate was made to use the l-series trans. Fail. Then I brought down a spare rwd SR trans. Fail. We didn't take it any farther...
          Sounds like enough real world headache to dash those ideas. haha

This was all about the S13 Chump Car project I just started (thread in the intro section). I'm guessing we'll just go with a stock KA for a while, then maybe put a T25 on it if we feel the need for a little more grunt.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I don't know the details, just saw it online.
            Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

That looks about right. Didn't feel like welding tranny cases and intake manifolds. And before you ask, no, the rwd intake manifold does not bolt on.

Comment

Glad to hear of the hassles.. well not really, but I'm glad to hear the information has been tried.
                I was considering an FWD SR swap in my car since I'm allowed a custom tranny and any US-sold Nissan engine. so I'd have to use a FWD SR engine and could in theory (i.e. not against the rules) swap the manifolds to make it work in RWD..
                since it's been confirmed that won't work, then I won't bother with trying to get the swap legalized.
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                  Glad to hear of the hassles.. well not really, but I'm glad to hear the information has been tried.
                  I was considering an FWD SR swap in my car since I'm allowed a custom tranny and any US-sold Nissan engine. so I'd have to use a FWD SR engine and could in theory (i.e. not against the rules) swap the manifolds to make it work in RWD..
                  since it's been confirmed that won't work, then I won't bother with trying to get the swap legalized.
                  That's the pic I was referring to. Glad someone had it handy.

Couldn't you flip and modify the GTiR itb setup like everyone does in the RWD swap anyway?
                  My Blog | Unfriendly Garage | Endurance Motorsports

Comment

Not for me. I have to use a stock, unmodified intake from the original engine.

I'm trying to get the SR20DET legalized, but there's a big hubub going on about allowing non-USDM engines.

Until they decide if they're going to allows non-US engines, I'm just going to stick with the stock KA. too much money to throw into an engine to see the rules change 6 months later and the engine become illegal/obsolete.
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Would they know the difference if you bought a NA rwd SR? Those clips are pretty cheap.

Comment

Somebody will, yes.
                        And I don't want to run the risk of losing credibility with as blatant of a rules infraction as that. no driveshaft hoops on a 140hp car? they'll shake their finger at you and tell you to work on it.. get caught with an illegal engine swap? they send you home and say don't come back till it's fixed.

One guy showed up last race with a retired Grand Am Cup car- illegal for the class for a couple things, namely it was 100hp faster than anything else and was on the wrong tires for the rules. they put him on the trailer sat afternoon and we ran sunday without him.
                        Good thing, cause I won on sunday. had he been there, I would have been 2nd.
                        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                        X