I need a quiet exhaust...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a quiet exhaust...

For the last four years, I've run straight pipe exhausts on my 240sx's but since I do like to drive the car on the street, don't like having ear plugs in all the time, and don't like the attention, I need to run a much quieter exhaust.

I want to keep it as free flowing as possible, but as quiet as possible. My car right now is loud as hell even with -33db ear plugs in.

I am running a fairly stock KA with cooling and reliability mods, what kind of exhaust/muffler/resonator would you guys recommend I use?

I was thinking of running motorcycle mufflers or I've also looked at flow tech redhots.

NOTFWD / Richie's Randoms / Twitter

My guess is you'll probably have to build something with your own resonator and muffler. I was planning on running 2.5" piping to a spiral flow resonator and a generic can muffler (N1 style) with a removable silencer. To get things going I ended up buying an entire N1 cat-back, though. Still have to get a silencer insert for it, as with the DC header and 2.5" cat it's fairly loud.

Comment

Spiral flows really reduce the" boom."

Look at hushpower mufflers/resonators as well.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
        Spiral flows really reduce the" boom."

Look at hushpower mufflers/resonators as well.
        Are you talking about the Moroso Sprial Flows?

I'm also looking for durability, I don't want something that'll blow out on me after a season.

Comment

I built a 2.5in system for $90 bucks 2 years ago. I used a thrush turbo muffler ($14?) and a 18in resonator. I needed a 22 or 24in resonator though.

It was a huge improvement over my invidia 3in cat back, not too different on power. But it was on a sohc not dohc.

On my last coupe the previous owner bought an all ebay exhaust and it incuded a silencer. Typical 3in cat back, giant cannon. It actually sounded EXCELLENT and of course was loud. But then I put in the silencer. It was a difference in power, but wasnt to bad. But it was almost silent in comparison. Id just take it out at the track, and enjoy the loudness and power and put it back in at the end of the day.

Id just try to find yourself a silencer that fits...

~Alex

Comment

I hate the fart-cannon look unfortunately...

Comment

Well considering you can buy an ebay catback for $100 shipped, chop off the N1 muffler and put a bigger muffler on it, and you're still out less cash than if you tried to make your own.
              Support innovation, buy from companies that design their own parts!

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Suspension before power.

Comment

a 3 inch with a silencer kills your power but will keep things quiet. buy the apexi noir its epic they make a turbo and n/a.
                http://www.apexi-usa.com/products/?id=5500

Comment

the cliff notes is if you are NA you need a good resonator and a good muffler and i'd probably not go larger than 2.5

I have an RSR ex-mag on my sr and it is mellow and nice, on the KA (n/A) it was unbearable, so i had a 2.5" bent up and put a magnaflow on it, it still needed another resonator for the KA.

Turn downs at the end help also
                  I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Original setup on mine was an old school HKS Super Drager. ncie sound, wasn't loud at all. at idle, it was near stock levels and it sounded good on track. lots of compliments from others on the way it sounded- good but not ricey.

Running a homemade 2.5" with moroso spiral flow on it now. no other mufflers/resonators. it's pretty damn loud, but hey it's a race car so it's supposed to be loud right?!
                    Originally posted by SoSideways
                    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                      it's pretty damn loud, but hey it's a race car so it's supposed to be loud right?!
                      That used to be my motto, but unfortunately I can't afford to track the car every weekend, and I still find it fun to drive mine on the street.

I also would like to not go deaf.

Comment

The good thing about the moroso spiral flow is that there is no packing to blow out.

On my stock KA, I have a cheap header, 2.5 in exhaust and one of those moroso thingys with the end cut off at the back of the car and it runs 92db at full throttle at 50 ft. 88 if I plug the center hole...
                        "the kid" -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- '90 Nissan 240sx ITA #5
                        Kessler Engineering in Berlin, CT - dyno, engines, cages, etc.
                        Driving Impressions Racing safety equipment, motorsports shop and more!
                        Check out our ITA road race build!

Comment

Originally posted by rcl1221 View Post
                          That used to be my motto, but unfortunately I can't afford to track the car every weekend, and I still find it fun to drive mine on the street.

I also would like to not go deaf.
                          That's why I race with earplugs.
                          My car is about the same as Blackfire's setup.. Hotshot header, 2.5" tubing, spiral flow muffler between rear axle and bumper, end of pipe angled down. it's runs 90-92dB according to sound readings at the track, which is about the same as the local spec miatas.
                          '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

I wear earplugs too... and it's still way too loud.

Comment

Then you're way too old.

I hear ya. When i get time, I'm probably going to add another resonator or something to this one to quiet it down some. It gets the job done, but it's a bit loud for my preferences too.
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X