What header do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What header do you have?

I have a ka24de N/A that I run ITS with. When I built the car the only thing I could find was a cheap ebay header. Now I am looking to upgrade to a good header. I still don't see alot of off the self headers for a DE. I am thinking of building a header since I have the tools I need to build with 304 stainless. What are you guys running. I have thought about sending my info to Burns and let them design a header. I would like your input as well. Pictures of your header. What is better 4-1 or 4-2-1. What size primary's, what length primary's, step or single size.

A lot of people run Hotshot headers. I have read that DC Sports header is very similar. Obviously the Burns route would be the best if cost isn't a huge factor

Comment

I run a Hotshot header. I had a DCSport that I bought and never used that I sold to a member here. They are very similar but the DC measures a little smaller all the way thru. Pacesetter makes a 4-1 header but from what I've read the 4-2-1 has a better powerband for the amount of power they make. I found some good discussions about headers on www.improvedtouring.com but you'll have to search the archives, as some of it was buried in threads not specific to headers.
      Don Johnson (really!)
      Just so you know.

Comment

Hotshot header here as well, but good luck finding any more. They closed their doors about 5 years ago and I bought the last two the guy had. (Then proceeded to destroy one last summer unloading the car from the trailer)

If you'd like some photos and/or dimensions, I'll be glad to take some measurements.

If you've got the cash, Burns does an awesome header design and will make better gains than just about anything else out there if you get them the right info to do the calculations.
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

DC bought the design from Hotshot if I remember correctly and just downsized it a bit to match the tubing they had in stock to keep cost down. I also think the only difference between my OBX header and the Hotshot would be the quality. Everything about it looks identical, unless it's that big of a deal I would just have it ceramic coated and then clean up the runners.

If you go big baller on us, post pics and info on the Burns unit please.
          Originally posted by Matt93SE
          in engrish, it's all about the length of your shaft... :P

Comment

Here's a DC Sport Dyno

Comment

OBX is the reason Hotshot went out of business several years ago. They didn't buy his designs. They bought Hotshot parts, copied them, then sold them for pennies on the dollar on ebay. The owner of hotshot got tired of having his goods copied by China, so he simply shut the doors.

I will never EVER buy from OBX for specifically that reason.
              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by KA240SX808 View Post
                Here's a DC Sport Dyno
                From the same source, what might cause the VTAK behavior at 4k rpm? In fact I do notice my KA pulls slightly better at 4k until 5.5k.

Comment

Aren't there butterflies in the intake mani that open at 4k?
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

S14's don't have those butterflies.

Comment

hmmmm... Maybe that's just when the intake, cam, etc start working together and start making power. my car sucks a big fat one below about 4000rpm as well, so that would make sense.
                      '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by hai1206vn View Post
                        From the same source, what might cause the VTAK behavior at 4k rpm? In fact I do notice my KA pulls slightly better at 4k until 5.5k...
                        Off the top of my head guess - Isn't the knock sensor inactive after ~4250rpm?

Maybe they (and you) are getting some timing retard...and once the KS stops paying attention...you get a bump in timing, and the corresponding increase in HP and TQ.

??? - Brian
                        '96 240SX | KA-T - 320rwhp @ 12psi | ~2700lbs
                        Koni 8611 & GC's - 600/450 | RPF1's - 17x9.5

Comment

If that's the case, running higher octane *should* keep the KS inactive. I'll try 93 just to see.

Comment

Yes, it's the Knock Sensor. I feel the "VTec" jump mostly in 1st and 2nd. Changing it fixes it, not that hard and can be hard fairly cheap.

Have changed 2 and both time it eliminated the "VTec" jump in power. (1 S13 and 1 S14)

And it'll still probably have the VTec jump even with 93 oct. I use 92 and it still does it.

Comment

I was looking at the dyno sheets and was wondering what dyno this was on. I had my car on the dyno and they claim different dyno's will have different ratings. I have used a Dyno Dynamic's vs Mustang and Dyno Jet. They have different numbers for the same car. I don't want to get back to the numbers game dyno company's play.

I will post my sheets as soon as I get them back and let you guy's tell me what you think.

Back to my header, I am road racing and most of what I read says a 4-1 header is best. But Burns doesn't support that theory.

Comment

Working...
                              X