200whp NA Dyno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200whp NA Dyno

Fired up the engine for the first time and got it on the dyno. I'm happy with the results considering it was with a crappy Ebay shorty header, only at 7k, and w/o really messing with the ignition or cam timing because it blew a collector gasket and the rear main is pissing oil.

I'm going to get a Tri-Y header and redo the exhaust as well as fix the oil leak. I should be able to get ~220whp at 7500rpm.

Keep in mind this motor is only 10:1 compression!

NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Which motor is this again?
    Between rides...unless you count a WD21...

Comment

Looks like a KA from the torque. The power delivery is all over the place though. Obviously some strong resonance effects.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Very nice. What's the mods on it?
        And I gatta say those AFR's look pretty damn solid.

Comment

Yeah I'd like to see what intake manifold is on the motor. As well as hear about whatever else went into the engine in terms of valve train and head work.
          '95 240sx

Comment

Some of the specs.

Engine:
            10:1 CR
            0.480" lift custom cams with JWT gears slightly slotted to adjust timing w/o removing the gear
            VQ shimless buckets
            Stock head with port matching only and stock size valves
            Q45 90mm TB
            Xcessive intake manifold
            ATI crank damper
            5.5" QM twin-disc clutch

I didn't get a chance to mess with the ignition or cam timing because it blew a collector gasket and the rear main is leaking. Plus I know the crappy shorty header is hurting me. I had the header and exhaust from my stock engine and wanted to get it running and break it in. I'm getting a Tri-Y header and then I'll get it back on the dyno after I fix the oil leak. The slope of the graph is great from 6200 to 7k so I don't see a problem making 220whp. I'm not sure about the dips but my stock engine (blue line), which also had the crappy header, has a similar shape (3k and 4.5k??

BUILT ENGINE

STOCK ENGINE
            Last edited by 240sxTTC; 10-15-2010, 11:16 PM.
            NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Port Matching and Stock Sized Valves. Makes me wonder why ppl think N/A is so hard if you just do some research and put on the right Combo of parts. How much would you say is the motor in parts alone?

Nice job.
              +1 Sir

Also I'll throw in this bit of Header info from alittle bit of research I did:
              Pacesetter Header
              1.500" Primaries
              2.500" Collector/Outlet
              4-1

OBX Header
              1.125" Primaries
              2.500" Collector/Outlet
              4-2-1

DC Sports Header
              ?.???" Primaries
              1.875" Collector/Outlet
              4-2-1

Comment

I hate to think about it but I would guess about $3500 not included bearings and gaskets.
                Last edited by 240sxTTC; 06-21-2010, 02:48 PM.
                NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

To make 205whp, I don't think thats bad at all for a N/A build.
                  Not to be a douche or anything but didn't greaser spend like 6-7g's to make 210whp?

Comment

Originally posted by KA240SX808 View Post
                    To make 205whp, I don't think thats bad at all for a N/A build.
                    Not to be a douche or anything but didn't greaser spend like 6-7g's to make 210whp?
                    I'm not sure what the $6-$7K covers but my $3500 estimate was for pistons, rods, cams, VQ buckets, TB, intake manifold, ATI damper, and custom water pump and accessory pullies. There is more that goes into it and I definitely spent more than $3500.
                    NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

Originally posted by KA240SX808 View Post
                      Port Matching and Stock Sized Valves. Makes me wonder why ppl think N/A is so hard if you just do some research and put on the right Combo of parts. How much would you say is the motor in parts alone?

Nice job.
                      +1 Sir

Also I'll throw in this bit of Header info from alittle bit of research I did:
                      Pacesetter Header
                      1.500" Primaries
                      2.500" Collector/Outlet
                      4-1

OBX Header
                      1.125" Primaries
                      2.500" Collector/Outlet
                      4-2-1

DC Sports Header
                      ?.???" Primaries
                      1.875" Collector/Outlet
                      4-2-1
                      I have a DC Sports header in the shed and a Hotshot on the car. The DCSports runners are about 1.5" and the Hotshot is more like 1-5/8" primaries and 2" collectors. I've also read good things about S&S headers in Glendale, AZ. Their website is fairly unresponsive today but here it is;
                      http://www.ssheaders.com/

I've also followed the 3" catback craze on the various forums. I even bought a cheap one on Fleabay to test on the dyno and it made zero difference on my car compared to a 2.5" megan racing catback. I'm currently at about 168RWHP.
                      Don Johnson (really!)
                      Just so you know.

Comment

I got a 4-2-1 ebay header on the way that supposedly has 1.75" primaries and a 2.25" collector outlet. I'm going to modify it for a 2.50" V-band outlet and keep my current 3" exhaust. I'll be adding an oval Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler to try and quiet this thing down. It's hear piercing at 7K with the side exit exhaust.
                        NASA Time Trials TT3

BTW I work for Garrett

Comment

I'm impressed, nice work!

- Brian
                          '96 240SX | KA-T - 320rwhp @ 12psi | ~2700lbs
                          Koni 8611 & GC's - 600/450 | RPF1's - 17x9.5

Comment

Originally posted by djsilver View Post
                            I have a DC Sports header in the shed and a Hotshot on the car. The DCSports runners are about 1.5" and the Hotshot is more like 1-5/8" primaries and 2" collectors. I've also read good things about S&S headers in Glendale, AZ. Their website is fairly unresponsive today but here it is;
                            http://www.ssheaders.com/

I've also followed the 3" catback craze on the various forums. I even bought a cheap one on Fleabay to test on the dyno and it made zero difference on my car compared to a 2.5" megan racing catback. I'm currently at about 168RWHP.

Yeah I've read some of the S&S but never seen pics or Dyno results of it, nor specs of the runners and such.

Also not to beat a dead horse but it maybe the fact it was a Flebay Cat-Back. To make it more comparable I would get a 2.5" and 3.0" Version of the Same exhaust from the Same Flebay company to get more accurate results.
                            A good Dyno comparison I seen was on Zilvia and it was a 60mm (2.36") Exhaust vs a 80mm (3.15") Exhaust on the same 240 (IIRC it was a 14). Avg #'s were 136/146 for the 60mm and 144/145 for the 80mm. Not trying to start a debate just putting out some info.

Comment

If he's doing a side exit, how applicable are the 2.5'' vs 3'' discussions going to be anyway?

Also... What valve springs / retainers are you running? What are your valves made of if they're stock sized?
                              '95 240sx

Comment

Working...
                              X