Car won't turn off with key.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car won't turn off with key.

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this forum is appropriate for this thread, but please help.

My S14 with an S13 SR does not turn off when I take try to turn it off with the key. I turn the car on, then when turning the key to the OFF position, the engine stays on as if the key is still in the ignition.

Before all this everything was fine, and the car drives normally. My problem started when I was trying to route my wiring harness and the black/white-stripe wire for the MAFS got exposed somewhere on the sheet metal and grounded itself. That killed some fuses, relays, and burned the MAFS circuitry on the ECU.

I have since fixed the exposed wires, the ECU, and the fuses. I was able to start the car again by replacing the EGI, fuel-pump, and ignition relays. I don't have any codes on the ECU other than 55. I had to resort to pulling the fuel-pump relay to turn of the car.

I'm thinking that I should replace the ignition switch since I may have zapped it with the MAFS wire. I'd appreciate it if you guys can give me any suggestion as to how to get the car to turn off normally with the keys again.

PS I don't have a turbo timer, START button or any of that crap. The search function is not working (does not load) for me so I have to resort to posting.

I've heard of a diode getting toasted in the ECU doing this. Open the case and check it out.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I've had this problem before when I tried to reground my MAF. I fixed it with a diode and a trace repair pen from Frys. Here is a picture of the blown diode and trace.

Last edited by pedroramosjr; 02-22-2009, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Hi guys, I've fixed that part of the board in the picture already. The problem is that the car starts up just fine, but just won't turn off when I remove the key from the ignition.

Edit: After rereading the above message, I may have not fixed the problem correctly on the ECU, I've only fixed the burned up circuit and not the diode. "Pedroramosjr", could you please post some picture(s) of the diode that you used to replaced the burned one? Thank you.
        Last edited by WilloW; 02-22-2009, 10:34 PM.

Comment

The blown diode is highlighted in the picture. I don't recall the part number for the diode. Diodes are identified by their bands. You can take your ecu to Frys or any electronics store and find a match.

Comment

Originally posted by pedroramosjr View Post
            The blown diode is highlighted in the picture. I don't recall the part number for the diode. Diodes are identified by their bands. You can take your ecu to Frys or any electronics store and find a match.
            Thanks guys, I'll go get the diode tomorrow. I'll update this thread once i get it in.
            Last edited by WilloW; 02-22-2009, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X