Need advice on EM for Stock KA.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on EM for Stock KA.

Before we get started here, I do not know a whole lot about engine management. FWIW

Im looking to squeeze a little more power out of my stock KA (besides intake and exhaust). I'll be doing an OEM rebuild this winter, and i also want to get some sort of tune for a higher octane fuel to make a little more power. It would be tuned for 98-100 octane i can get at a decent price from a local station. I would like to run it on a lower octane fuel sometime, but i do not know if thats an option using something like a JWT ECU, or would i have to go to something a little better to have that option.

Ive been reading up a little bit on different standalones, daughterboards, and ECU reflashes, and it looks like a JWT ECU tuned for a higher octane fuel the best option for me. It would be easier to just leave the 98 octane fuel in the tank and forget about using anything else.

Do you think there would be enough of a power gain to even bother with a tune? What do you guys think would be the best solution for me?

Thanks in advance.

S13 or S14?

If S14, what year?

Comment

91, S13.

Comment

Do your other mods first and then dyno it. You can usually get 160whp (dynojet) with bolt-ons. Some cars make that without any ECU tuning at all. You're not going to see any dramatic gains with 98-100 octane even with a tuned ECU, especially for what it would cost to fill up.

For an NA KA S13, your best bet is some sort of ROM tune.
        She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Originally posted by Epstein View Post
          Do your other mods first and then dyno it. You can usually get 160whp (dynojet) with bolt-ons. Some cars make that without any ECU tuning at all. You're not going to see any dramatic gains with 98-100 octane even with a tuned ECU, especially for what it would cost to fill up.

For an NA KA S13, your best bet is some sort of ROM tune.
          Yeah, thats what i figured. I think ill just do the rebuild and be done with it.

Im trying to get at much power as a can to catch up to the WRX's in STX.

Comment

Sad to say, you really won't gain much with higher octane on a stockish bolt-on KA.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I was building my car for STS for a while and I thought about Enthalpy, JWT and Calumsult EM solutions. I think the Calum and Enthalpy is more appealing because of the retune options. I came to the conclusion that I am not a seasoned AutoXer and have not fine tuned my cars suspension so I think my money could be spent in better places. It's nice to know there are other Street Touring 240s's. Have fun and good luck.
              Addicted to Motorsports

Comment

I would look into Calum's CalumRT daughterboard as it has real time usb tuning and a built in consult board. Turbo maps are plentiful and im pretty sure you could make your own n/a map by leaning it out and adding timing.

Comment

Originally posted by undesiredshoe View Post
                  I would look into Calum's CalumRT daughterboard as it has real time usb tuning and a built in consult board. Turbo maps are plentiful and im pretty sure you could make your own n/a map by leaning it out and adding timing.
                  Calum has some NA maps, I have talked to him about it recently.

Comment

Most maps that are "out there" suck IMO. If you ever plotted the timing vs. boost or timing vs. load for any of them - it'd be ridicluous and plain not make any sense most of the time.

There's not much in a ROM tune for a stockish NA car honestly.
                    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                    X