Nistune for beginner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nistune for beginner?

Looking at buying a used nistune and license that is for a s13 sr20det which is what I have.

Would I have to take it to a tuner or could I set it up with a safe tune myself?

I'm looking for a safe and reliable Ecu to run z32 maf 740cc mild cams s15 turbo.

Is nistune a good choice? I would go for a jwt rom tune but at $600, I thought a $300 nistune would be a good option.

We can set you up with pointers on how to do a safe base map. The hard part with a MAF is knowing where in the map you are and correlating that to pressure (i.e. what calculated load = 0 psi, 5 psi, 10 psi etc.).

That develops a safe ignition map.

The fueling is stupid easy on a MAF, but surprisingly I see it done WRONG on way too many ROM tunes for these cars, which does make it quite a bit of work.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I would always recommend having it tuned. No two set ups are exactly the same.

I don't know what your budget is but I run a plug and play Megasquirt and really enjoy not having a MAF. And two step for when I'm feeling ricey.

I've used both and the megasquirt interface is much more user friendly I think.

Comment

Go for it.
        With that combo you could use the stock map, rescale for injectors and maf.
        Tune for afr's with wideband then look at your timing.
        Nistune has some great guides on their webpage.

Comment

Originally posted by The big fist View Post
          Go for it.
          With that combo you could use the stock map, rescale for injectors and maf.
          Tune for afr's with wideband then look at your timing.
          Nistune has some great guides on their webpage.
          Stock SR maps are absolutely horrid. I can't even describe how bad they are...

I recommend tossing the stock fuel and ignition map out the door and starting from scratch.

Comment

For a beginner it would be better to start off with something, rather nothing in my opinion.
            When he is confident he could try starting a fresh.
            Remember I doubt he has access to a dyno and doing timing on the street is pretty risky / hard.

Comment

I am in a similar situation, just trying to develop a safe base fuel and timing map. Is there a rule of thumb for timing vs boost on a stockish SR20?

My setup is similar to the OP except its a S15 sr20, stock s15 T28, 550 injectors and Z32 MAF...

Comment

I assumed that there would be various maps that would be avail for dl so that you just look for a tune for your map that fits the different parameters that you want.

I got registered on the nistune site and went through the forum but it doesn't seem to be the case. I haven't been able to dl the software and go through it yet but I don't think it's there.

I know a quality custom tune is the best. But the rom tunes from reputable places like jwt are arguably very good for someone who just wants a plug and play deal. Frankly if I had found an Ecu matching the parts I have ready to go for the same price as the nistune setup I bought, I would have gone that route.

I want a safe map that will let me take advantage of some mods. Any suggestions on where to find something like this?

Comment

IMO, suck it up and get to the dyno.. don't screw around with trying to tune a turbo yourself- you're just asking for trouble. done right, it'll give you the most power and the most reliability. no guessing games of when the engine's gonna blow.
                  Originally posted by SoSideways
                  I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
                  '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
                  '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by ZainRacer View Post
                    I am in a similar situation, just trying to develop a safe base fuel and timing map. Is there a rule of thumb for timing vs boost on a stockish SR20?

My setup is similar to the OP except its a S15 sr20, stock s15 T28, 550 injectors and Z32 MAF...

A stock SR20 will like around 15-20 degrees at idle. At zero boost and 3200-3500 rpm they will take around 28-30 very safely. At very low MAP 38-40 deg is good at 3.2-3.5 k r and above. I start with about 1-1.1 deg/psi retard, and the most you really want to push things on pump gas is around 0.7 deg/psi.

At high rpm on a map sensor you can ramp in a degree or two more at the same pressure. On a maf system just keep constant timing per load.

Slowly ramp timing up from your "idle" value at that load to your plateu value at 3.2-3.5k. Make the whole map smooth.

IMO, street tuning timing on a maf system isn't hard at all if you are taking logs. Just use the above guidelines and don't push things a lot without really checking for knock.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                      A stock SR20 will like around 15-20 degrees at idle. At zero boost and 3200-3500 rpm they will take around 28-30 very safely. At very low MAP 38-40 deg is good at 3.2-3.5 k r and above. I start with about 1-1.1 deg/psi retard, and the most you really want to push things on pump gas is around 0.7 deg/psi.

At high rpm on a map sensor you can ramp in a degree or two more at the same pressure. On a maf system just keep constant timing per load.

Slowly ramp timing up from your "idle" value at that load to your plateu value at 3.2-3.5k. Make the whole map smooth.

IMO, street tuning timing on a maf system isn't hard at all if you are taking logs. Just use the above guidelines and don't push things a lot without really checking for knock.
                      Thanks for the tips!
                      I modified the base map based on this and was shooting for around 15 degrees at 10-11 psi. Here is what the timing map looks like:

10 psi happens at a load of around 90. Air fuel ratios are around 11-11.5 under boost. Based on what I have read this should be very conservative. I have a dyno day scheduled for later this month. Planning to up the boost then and see what kinda power it will make with a good safe tune. Hoping for 260-280whp!

Comment

You're running far too much timing at low load and low RPM. Your peak timing numbers of 44ish are too high.

You want ~38-40 to hit at the LOWEST load, then go down from there. Also, that should happen around 3.2-3.5k RPM. Less timing below that, flat above that.

Your timing has two humps, one at 2-2.4k (this is too low), and another at high RPM.

Just make the timing flat from 3.2k up to redline.

You want around 15-20 degrees in the idle area. Slowly ramp up from there in RPM, and down as you increase load. Yes, you end up with very close to zero degrees at low RPM and high load - but guess what, you'll never hit that timing value! But it's important to keep a smooth and consistent methodology to building a timing map, so that you can see outliers.

It is a safe map, but it'll drive smoother if you do what I suggest above.

Comment

Working...
                        X