Reading voltage off stock coolant temp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading voltage off stock coolant temp sensor

I'm building a small LCD display for the vital engine sensors to go on my steering column and I want to tap into the stock coolant temp sensor. I like that it's closer to the block and it's also what the ECU sees.

Anyone have experience with this? If I add a short wire branching off it and going into my microcontroller, will my readings stay the same? Any other possible implications?

I plan on doing this for 3 other vitals via
    -Oil P: autometer sender and voltage divider for 0-5v output

-Boost & AFR: outputs from innovate LM1. It'll get boost P via an MPX4250AP sensor into it's aux input.

Don't tap into the one that's on the ECU. Those aren't a voltage reading type- they're done by resistance. it's possible that there will be no change in reading, but it's also possible that it could drag one sensor or ECU's reading off.

You would be better off to unhook the useless temp gauge sender for the gauge (it's a different sensor than the ECU) and use that one or replace it with a different sensor that's already calibrated to your display.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Do you know on the sr20det if it's 1/8 bspt?

Comment

They are on the KA, but I don't know for certain on the SR. I just put about 8-10 wraps of teflon on my autometer 1/8" NPT sender and stuck it in the BSPT port. Hasn't leaked in 10 years and on 3 cars..
        Originally posted by SoSideways
        I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
        '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

All the PT on the car stock are BS type. I usually just run an NPT tap through the hole - fixes it right up the non-ghetto way.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
          X