ECU choice of preferance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU choice of preferance

O.K......wanting to get feedback as to your choice of engine management - based on any factors.

1. Cost. While it's important, I'm not about to save $500 to get into a ghetto home built ECU management system that has zero support, only a few hackers running it, and having to spend way more time and money to get it to work.

2. Simplicity. I'm old. I have little patience for electronics. RTFM (read the f*cking manual) is not something I do well. (I also don't play well with others )

3. Racecar only. I don't care about emissions. I do care about tunability, reliability, and possibly the ability to have extras like traction control (I do have Racelogic already), boost scramble, Vtec control and ability to log.

4. Likely run E85 only. Power to cost factor seems much more appealing than C16 or VP109. Can start to get locally in Canada or can always tap into the North West supply chain with Eric and Jason.

From what my limited patience in scouring around the site the past few days, it seems to be down to a few choices.

A) Nistune. kind of familiar with it - downfall is it's Aussie supported which means a bit more hassle to land/etc with shipping, but do like it's ability to work with the stock ECU. Local dyno shop can tune it.

B) Nismotronic. Know nothing of it. Am I correct in reading that it REMOVES the MAF sensor and changes our tuning to Speed Density ??? (not a big deal - could be better for actual rain racing without a MAF) No local tuning knowledge, so would mean me learning to tune it, or paying someone to work it.

C) AEM V2. This seems plug and play. Lots of support at local dyno tuning. It RETAINS MAF ? What about once you change to E85 - does it support larger injectors, etc. (assuming that's a no brainer)

Why do I see a lot more support for the AEM ? Ease of tuning ? or power ?

I like AEM as it's name branded, and I can get easy access to this brand. (make a call and have parts in stock delivered to my house same day from local stocking warehouses)

I'm just window shopping at the present time, but am making lists of TONS of **** while I sit idle and plan my new shop build and car build - but need to get my ducks in order before I start pulling the trigger on a LOT of parts.

don

AEM is map, you buy the sensors extra.

AEM rev limiter doesn't seem to play nicely with SR rockers from everything I've seen, though I think that's probably just a setup issue. You're probably going VE head so that doesn't matter anyway.

It also has flexfuel sensor so it will figure out E% of your fuel and tune accordingly.

It seems to enjoy the most local support in the NW.

Comment

AEM Infinity 6. Screw messing with a stock ECU - it's so much easier on a proper standalone, and I've done both.

You can setup the rev limiter in Infinity Tuner to be harsher than stock, or baby arse smooth. All in how rough you want to get with it, and it's infinitely tunable, unlike a stock ECU where it's brap brap brap wherever you set it.
      '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
      http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

don't listen to def get a series 2 it is supported much better at this point if you don't want to be tinkering and learning as you go,

as far as the rev limiter that comes down to the tuners understanding and knowledge base, a proper strategy involves timing and fuel lots of tuners just give a fuel cut at a hard rpm and that doesn't work well for many cars.
        I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
          don't listen to def get a series 2 it is supported much better at this point if you don't want to be tinkering and learning as you go,

as far as the rev limiter that comes down to the tuners understanding and knowledge base, a proper strategy involves timing and fuel lots of tuners just give a fuel cut at a hard rpm and that doesn't work well for many cars.
          I still don't know wtf you're talking about with the Infinity not being supported well. The software is bug free, and I haven't seen anything odd on mine.

It doesn't support really oddball crank/cam teeth combinations, but that doesn't affect us one bit.

Toss in the AEM CAS disk, select 12 teeth crank hall, 1 tooth cam hall (AEM EPM) and you're done. Set timing before starting, then crank the bitch up. It's that easy.

Comment

but from what I read.....with a standard Version 2, you have to basically spend time building maps (unless you can find a map of something close to use) then spend time tuning.

Doesn't the VE tuning of the Infinity kind of "self learn". (meaning watching one of their promo video's, they are saying the system will automatically correct for something going awol....like fuel pressure.

Jacob, with your Infinity......is the extra cost in more of the sensors and components you need to purchase in order to make it work ?

While I'm more than sure a V2 will make me happy, I'm also looking for a system that will allow me the ability to data log in case I'm 2000 miles away from home and have to remedy something going wrong with a component.

Comment

series 2 datalogs aswell, no issues there.

Def, you are a self tuner who likes to tinker with new product and that is all well and good. Don doesn't sound like he is looking for such a tinkersome ECU, and the bottom line is WAY more tuners are familiar and comfortable with the AEM S2 than their new boxes.

Yes YOU haven't yet had issues, I understand that. There are other people who I know well who run dynos, tune for a living and things of this nature who influence my statements. I have expressed them to you and given you examples (which I still request stay off the internet) as to why I wouldn't recommend the hardware you are suggesting. I obviously have nothing to gain based on which ECU he uses, and considering I all but purchased one within weeks of it coming out and even offered my car to AEM for their BRz test mule, I don't dislike the product potential, but at this point it is truly potential...not yet fully realized

also any good tuner should have a calibration in their tuning computer that will get you started and running with a bit of tweaking, no better or worse than a start up map provided with any standalone.
              I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by PDM075 View Post
                but from what I read.....with a standard Version 2, you have to basically spend time building maps (unless you can find a map of something close to use) then spend time tuning.

Doesn't the VE tuning of the Infinity kind of "self learn". (meaning watching one of their promo video's, they are saying the system will automatically correct for something going awol....like fuel pressure.

Jacob, with your Infinity......is the extra cost in more of the sensors and components you need to purchase in order to make it work ?

While I'm more than sure a V2 will make me happy, I'm also looking for a system that will allow me the ability to data log in case I'm 2000 miles away from home and have to remedy something going wrong with a component.
                The only extra cost is that it's not plug and play like the series 2. So you need to spend a little bit of time to build a harness. But the Infinity can do some interesting things like wheel speed traction control.

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                series 2 datalogs aswell, no issues there.

Def, you are a self tuner who likes to tinker with new product and that is all well and good. Don doesn't sound like he is looking for such a tinkersome ECU, and the bottom line is WAY more tuners are familiar and comfortable with the AEM S2 than their new boxes.

Yes YOU haven't yet had issues, I understand that. There are other people who I know well who run dynos, tune for a living and things of this nature who influence my statements. I have expressed them to you and given you examples (which I still request stay off the internet) as to why I wouldn't recommend the hardware you are suggesting. I obviously have nothing to gain based on which ECU he uses, and considering I all but purchased one within weeks of it coming out and even offered my car to AEM for their BRz test mule, I don't dislike the product potential, but at this point it is truly potential...not yet fully realized

also any good tuner should have a calibration in their tuning computer that will get you started and running with a bit of tweaking, no better or worse than a start up map provided with any standalone.
                The VE strategy of the Infinity means its quite a bit easier to tune. That's AEM's ethos behind this box, and I'd say it works. I didn't start it off a "basemap" - I started it for a calibration for a B18 Honda thinking it'd never fire.

You can legitimately do a really rough timing map and then start the thing up and use lambda feedback to go boost right down the street perfectly safely.

I really don't know what you think it's missing other than support for oddball cam/crank timing support. They hardcoded that part, but it makes setup stupid proof (which I enjoy as I get older) of just clicking through a wizard.

If the product sucked, I'd say so. But it doesn't. Documentation could be better on some of the hardcoded inputs of each P/N, but the information is there if you look at the pinout sheet and double check the pinout function in Infinity Tuner (last release, actually a good improvement).

It's not the perfect solution for everybody, but at the price point, it makes a series 2 pretty obsolete IMO except for applications where you absolutely have to have a plug and play solution and it's not available for the Infinity.

I think they've come a long way since the Infinity 10 was first released, so I wouldn't judge the product on how it was on day 1. I wouldn't ever expect something like this to be fully mature at that point, but it's been a few years. I'd expect things to be continually improving in that time, and they have from my short exposure to it. It's definitely what I'd call a "stable" system at this point.

Comment

Realize I have 2 friends that work at AEM and another who worked for them for years doing everything from tech support to electronics design and calibrations.

Daigo Saito's car had a full sponsorship and track support from AEM and had to toss the infinity box after lots of failures (some in competition) because it couldn't recover from hitting redline during a drift for several seconds each time it occurred, all of their support capability couldn't fix this issue...and the 2jz was one of the FIRST motors infinity was made to support

Firmware rev is linked to the PC software rev, therefore you must either keep updating firmware to take advantage of new features (btw no you CANT keep the tune and translating them across revisions has proven to not work even on minor firmware upgrades) and if you lose the pc that you were using to tune you are screwed, even supported teams don't have an easy way to get the correct pc software rev so that they can get back up and running.

the real benefits the infinity could have had can't be realized at this point any realllly cool oem level stuff will have to be done by AEM in house since they aren't opening up the code like they were hoped to, no custom feature programming without rubbing lots of elbows, aside from that it is just newer, and not better or stable or supported enough to warrant the risk in Don's case

Def I realize YOU have had no problems, but realize I don't speak out (publicly) about products in a negative fashion without good reason. I'm right in the middle of most of the "tuning" industry here in SoCal, If I started listing names I'd sound like an asshole but I get exposed to alot of groundswell type info because of my friends, I keep most of it to myself, I have kept this mostly to myself but I realize your word carries weight in this scene and I want to make sure people are blinded by your luck and understanding and fall face first into a nightmare that could be avoided.
                  I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

I've updated my firmware and software version with the same tune - no issues.

I don't know about any issues anybody else has had, but I've not run into any. I'd think that if you would hit the rev limiter and it'd totally **** out at this point, there'd be more chatter about it.

I'll be taking my "flame sprayed" S13 out to the track in not too much time, we'll see if I hit any problems. But so far the Infinity has been easily to tune that I expected, so that's worth something.

By comparison, it will take the average person much more time to get good at tuning a stock ECU. And that's coming from someone who had an engineering background and was running detailed ICE calcs to help develop stock ECU tunes.

Comment

How about a Syvec's, at least they not plagued with reliability issues like most of AEM's range of products.

Comment

AEM has a few issues here and there, but for the most part their EMS's have been pretty solid component and firmware wise since the Series 2 on. The Series 1 had a few problems with ignition drivers as I understand it.

Comment

Working...
                        X