Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to engine management and need advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to engine management and need advice...

My ka24e is going to go through steps...

1. NA rebuild with internals prepped for boost. Arias 8.8:1 pistons, forged rods, clevite or acl bearings etc running full length headers.

2. Gladman sidemount feeding an s15 bb turbo with the goal of minimum boost/lag 230rwhp.

What engine management would be best suited to the NA step(which will be run for a few years), but also give me ignition control for ka-t?

Thanks, Eric

So far in my research it's looking like aem ems v2 is what I need.

Anybody have any experience with it? Good stuff?

Comment

There is a version of the NismotronicRT Tuning Package that includes a TunerCode bin that runs a KA24E using a KA24DE ECU.
      NismotronicSA Tuning Package/Powered by TunerCodeSA
      Speed-Density Tuning for Nissans

Comment

Haltech platinum 1000, or if you must use a aem go with v1. V2 has way to many issues.

Comment

Is there a reason to go standalone?

If you are only looking for ~230WHP I'd just go with Nistune, I guess the nismotronic is similar but Nistune has been around long enough that there are people to answer your questions.

you can almost stick with the stock MAF at the projected power level...
          I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
            Is there a reason to go standalone?

If you are only looking for ~230WHP I'd just go with Nistune, I guess the nismotronic is similar but Nistune has been around long enough that there are people to answer your questions.

you can almost stick with the stock MAF at the projected power level...
            I want a high quality setup that includes ignition timing so the engine lasts. I want to be an example of how to do ka-t the right way.

My mechanic says that lack of ignition timing tuning is what makes ka-ts blow.

If Nistune has ignition timing then i'll definitely look into it.

Comment

yes Nistune gives access to timing maps as well as fuel, and mostly everything else in the factory control strategy.
              I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

haltech for some reason doesn't believe in knock control. its important to me, your stock ecu controls knock. aem is ok, i've had plenty of issues with aem but its hard to beat bang for buck.

in your case "set it and forget it" the nistune and or other modifications to factory ecu would be just fine. if you plan on changing stuff alot and want to log and monitor stuff, make changes. standalone is the next step.

Most PM answers: F 17X9 +22, R 17X9 +35

Comment

Originally posted by Your Mom View Post
                  haltech for some reason doesn't believe in knock control. its important to me, your stock ecu controls knock. aem is ok, i've had plenty of issues with aem but its hard to beat bang for buck.

in your case "set it and forget it" the nistune and or other modifications to factory ecu would be just fine. if you plan on changing stuff alot and want to log and monitor stuff, make changes. standalone is the next step.
                  most setups that I've seen turn off knock control at higher RPMS because everything gets too noisey... and knock control is only reactive, once it starts pulling timing, your engine is already knocking.

I recently completely removed it from my megasquirt setup on my rx7 and don't miss it.
                  '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
                  '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
                  '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
                  '81 BMW R65

Comment

well a rotary only gets to knock once anyway right?
                    I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                      well a rotary only gets to knock once anyway right?
                      It's not that bad

my point was if you're knocking... somethings wrong anyway, you don't want your ECU constantly retarding ignition to solve knocks because they're still occuring and damaging your engine.

lifting my foot does pretty good at solving knock issues too... then I fix my tune.
                      '89 RX-7 TurboII - SSM - Widebody - Ford 8.8 IRS - giant wing - Megasquirt3
                      '89 Corolla SR5 - SMF - 4A-GE 20 Valve 6 speed swap - Megasquirt-2
                      '01 Impreza 2.5RS - Rallycross Stock AWD / Daily
                      '81 BMW R65

Comment

Id recommend an EMS-4 AEM setup. Works great for a 4 banger and fairly cheap.
                        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Is AEM FIA approved?

Comment

Originally posted by Robertftw View Post
                            Is AEM FIA approved?
                            what?

If such an approval is required, then yes by all means I am sure AEM has received the approval, considering the number of cars wearing AEM livery competing and winning at all levels of motorsports, and the legions of others using the hardware and not flying the colors...but honestly I have never even put a single thought to FIA and ECU's
                            I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Originally posted by Robertftw View Post
                              Is AEM FIA approved?
                              I've heard of seats, harnesses, window nets, and other safety gear being FIA approved; but never an EMS setup.
                              '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                              http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Working...
                              X