Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Widebands for AEM EMS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Widebands for AEM EMS

    I'm looking to pick up a wideband just for monitoring capabilities for now. I'm running a ROM tune on a SR, planning to probably go AEM EMS eventually. I had a Innovate LC-1 before and it was fine.

    Any particular reason to go Innovate LC-1 or AEM UEGO? Price and gauge availability seems pretty equivalent, and I'm finding both good and bad things about both on google searches of forums.
    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
    ~2016 M3, daily driver

  • #2
    Ngk afx has been the best I found so far, you can order it with the upgraded sensor also went almost a year on VP Import fuel with out killing a sensor. Aem is slow compared to the rest.

    Comment


    • #3
      I like them both. For some reason I've been hearing that Innovate is doing worse lately but haven't had the first hand experience to say.

      Whichever way you go I think you would do fine with those two.

      We do carry both so just let us know and I will see what I can do on price.
      sigpic
      || Endurance Motorports ||

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Robertftw View Post
        Ngk afx has been the best I found so far, you can order it with the upgraded sensor also went almost a year on VP Import fuel with out killing a sensor. Aem is slow compared to the rest.
        I don't like that kit at all

        1.) it's aimed at idiots, they don't speak to the high end users at all only to basically carb tuners and people upgrading from narrowband

        2.) basically a proprietary sensor, AEM and Innovate use OTS bosch sensors that are getting cheaper everyday (not to mention used in nearly all new cars so there are a million cross reference P/N's)

        3.) non programmable 0-5V output for ECU integration. I had my innovate wired to the narrowband input on the stock ECU (with nistune) and the other 0-5V running a gauge that required custom calibration to work (old Tomei gauge that expected narrow band)


        My experience with AEMs and Innovates tells me either work fine, I have never seen more than a .1 afr difference on the dyno between any properly calibrated sensors, most shops have the sensors available and with a little searching the sensors can be had for ~$60, kia VW Porsche Audi and probably most others use the standard 5 wire bosch sensor that is compatible with these units.
        I am SKULLWORKS

        Comment


        • #5
          ^^^ What he said. I have the LC-1 wideband and have one output wired as a narrowband going to my Calum ECU for the stock sensor. The other is a wide-band output going to the stack dash... which even had an option for the LC-1.
          -Monty

          Comment


          • #6
            AEM widebands do seem a little slow to respond. There is a noticeable delay on say, chopping off the throttle and it showing lean. My PLX M-300 (old tech by now) instantly shows it going full lean/AIR. Seems accurate enough to me, and does 0-5V and 0-1V outputs plus displays it in the car (this is important).

            A wideband is a good sensor to glance at here or there just to make sure the engine is running fine. I feel it's something I'd miss if I never saw it. Oil pressure - not one bit unless the warning light goes off, in which case you won't see/notice it on track on most gauges before it's too late.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


            DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

            Comment


            • #7
              I definitely want to have it displayed. I'll try to get a Stack eventually but just run a few extra gauges for now. I'm leaning LC-1 and some kind of display- I had this in my old S14: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-LM2...ht_2012wt_1037

              It irks me that they call it a "square" repeatedly when its a rectangle. 1st grade level people, get it right.

              So maybe LC-1 and either one of their gauges or a Marshall gauge. I don't want that MTX-L deal b/c the controller is built into the gauge and I may want to integrate it with a Stack or equivalent dash eventually that could do display duties for me.
              ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
              ~2016 M3, daily driver

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by turtl631 View Post
                I definitely want to have it displayed. I'll try to get a Stack eventually but just run a few extra gauges for now. I'm leaning LC-1 and some kind of display- I had this in my old S14: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-LM2...ht_2012wt_1037

                It irks me that they call it a "square" repeatedly when its a rectangle. 1st grade level people, get it right.

                So maybe LC-1 and either one of their gauges or a Marshall gauge. I don't want that MTX-L deal b/c the controller is built into the gauge and I may want to integrate it with a Stack or equivalent dash eventually that could do display duties for me.
                Just a heads up, but most of the Stacks that can be programmed to display gauges are pretty $$$ and are a little rare to come up for sale.


                But yea, gauges are important on track even if it's hard to get all the info. If nothing else you can pay attention to them on the street and get the car setup for track usage the best you can.
                '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tower240sx View Post
                  I don't like that kit at all

                  1.) it's aimed at idiots, they don't speak to the high end users at all only to basically carb tuners and people upgrading from narrowband

                  2.) basically a proprietary sensor, AEM and Innovate use OTS bosch sensors that are getting cheaper everyday (not to mention used in nearly all new cars so there are a million cross reference P/N's)

                  3.) non programmable 0-5V output for ECU integration. I had my innovate wired to the narrowband input on the stock ECU (with nistune) and the other 0-5V running a gauge that required custom calibration to work (old Tomei gauge that expected narrow band)


                  My experience with AEMs and Innovates tells me either work fine, I have never seen more than a .1 afr difference on the dyno between any properly calibrated sensors, most shops have the sensors available and with a little searching the sensors can be had for ~$60, kia VW Porsche Audi and probably most others use the standard 5 wire bosch sensor that is compatible with these units.
                  Never had any problems, use them on almost all the cars, just use them for reference and appear to read faster to me, afrs get data logged in the Haltech. $60 sensors suck when they barely make it past dyno or after a few passes with leaded fuels, Cheap but worthless to me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Def View Post
                    Just a heads up, but most of the Stacks that can be programmed to display gauges are pretty $$$ and are a little rare to come up for sale.


                    But yea, gauges are important on track even if it's hard to get all the info. If nothing else you can pay attention to them on the street and get the car setup for track usage the best you can.
                    Oh really? Well, regardless I prefer the flexibility of a standalone WB controller. I'm probably going to try to get a matching set of gauges so there is less to process at a quick glance, I always hated having to look at a mix of fonts, scales, analog and digital, etc. The Marshall pieces seem pretty nice for the price, not a fan of all Defi style black face knockoff gauges out there now. I had Stacks on the last car but they are a little pricey for what you get.
                    ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                    ~2016 M3, daily driver

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Def View Post
                      Just a heads up, but most of the Stacks that can be programmed to display gauges are pretty $$$ and are a little rare to come up for sale.

                      But yea, gauges are important on track even if it's hard to get all the info. If nothing else you can pay attention to them on the street and get the car setup for track usage the best you can.
                      Easier when you have a site sponsor that carries them. ;-)
                      sigpic
                      || Endurance Motorports ||

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Not making doctor $$ yet
                        ~1992 240SX, SR20/Koni track day car
                        ~2016 M3, daily driver

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you want Google Wideband Shootout. Mike did nd he reviewed a bunch including Innovate, AEM, PLX and a bunch others.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by KA240SX808 View Post
                            If you want Google Wideband Shootout. Mike did nd he reviewed a bunch including Innovate, AEM, PLX and a bunch others.
                            I appreciate Kojima taking the time to review widebands, but as someone who has done similar testing for many years, I got major heartburn watching them compare accuracy on just holding a sensor up against a bottle of gas spewing out... at room temp...
                            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!


                            DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I suppose. I'll be honest I didn't read into the details or anything. I just know they did the test.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X