SR ignition questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR ignition questions.

I'm curious what you geniuses are using? Plugs, coils, timing? And what are the factory limitations on a coil pack Turbo SR? What aftermarket solutions have you found? I'm not having any issues, just curious cause I don't see many posts addressing this topic.

I'm still on stock coil packs. I carry extras with me at events, and I dont' run the cover.

I think CodyAce runs ls1 coilpacks, but I'm sure he'll see this and respond.

Splitfire coilpacks are the drop-in solution, and run ~$350.

Comment

What kind of modifications does that require (drill valve cover, add tab/spacer to coilpack)? Also, does running a higher voltage coilpack require changing plug heat range?

Comment

You might find this thread useful: http://www.sr20-forum.com/tuning/260...wd-engine.html

Dave
        NismotronicSA Tuning Package/Powered by TunerCodeSA
        Speed-Density Tuning for Nissans

Comment

as far as adequacy I haven't heard anyone have problems with the stock units when they are in good working condition,

I wouldn't do much to the stock ignition aside from getting proper heat range plugs based on your boost,

you're good atleast to the 450-500 hp range
          I am SKULLWORKS

Comment

Stock stuff with iridiums works fine to 450-500 rwhp.
            '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
            http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I'm doing just fine with the S13 SR20DE distributor setup with a T3/T04E at 16+ psi on track.
              -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
                I'm doing just fine with the S13 SR20DE distributor setup with a T3/T04E at 16+ psi on track.
                23049808 psi when your wastegate line blows off and you keep blasting around???

I guess it proves the tune I helped you do is at least conservative for the track.

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                  23049808 psi when your wastegate line blows off and you keep blasting around???
                  Actually, I've seen 24+psi a few times
                  -Monty

Comment

Originally posted by McCoy View Post
                    Distributors rock! Honestly even Clark at JWT has said that the distributor is much stronger than the ignitors are for our engines

Stock stuff with iridiums works fine to 450-500 rwhp.
                    In good working order I'd agree. Anymore most of this stuff is 20+ years old and not working as well as they should. I've personally seen/worked on cars that have had spark issues at 300-325 whp, change the coilpacks with my known working ones and had no issue...

I personally run LQ9 truck coils on my car and haven't had a single issue with them. Pretty easy to install, just take out the ignitor and wire it straight across. I used the existing coilpack plug for my 4 signal and main power wire (and found another plug to make it look oem). Hook up 2 grounds and you're good to go. Only downfall if you're not capable is having to make your own spark plug wires, but they aren't so bad.

Why did I upgrade? I was trying to sort out a very very odd (from what I gathered) ignition issue under lighter load. Tested my roomates packs in my car and it finally went away. I ended up buying all of the stuff, and buying another set of coilpacks as backup in case my LQ9 setup didn't work...however it worked great. Seat of paints indicates better, but I'd rather just get it on the dyno someday once my ecu comes back I'd like to run a much larger gap if possible...considering I was getting blowout with anything above .024 gap at 20psi boost.
                    'Slicks on a car show me you care - broken axles show me you're trying'
                    [I]Nitrous Rental Cars - Turbo Festivas - Vehicular Lunacy[/I]
                    [SIZE="3"][B][url]www.sloppymechanics.com[/url][/B][/SIZE]

Comment

You could have just had Clark turn up the dwell on the ECU with your stock coils. The default map has reduced dwell (time) up until about 4k regardless of load. Making it flat across and jacking the whole thing up a bit saw some questionable driveability go away. When I did that to Splitfires, it was the strongest the car had ever driven around town. And that was even with the quench pads CNC'd off.
                      She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

What setting are you using with your spitfires and what engine management?

I wondering if this is the case with the base on pfc
                        Still Got a few part left! Shoot me a PM if you have questions!
                        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5286

Comment

The Splitfires I was running on a stock ECU. I had the dwell turned up to what I think was 2.7mS at 14V all the way across.

You should be able to get to those settings on the PFC with a Datalogit or FC Commander.
                          She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

Epstein, what's the equation to determine what the value in that map equates to as far as msec?

Comment

Epstein, what's the equation to determine what the value in that map equates to as far as msec?
                              This is for ka24de. Did you want sr?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X