Power FC -- S14 SR20DET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power FC -- S14 SR20DET

I was surprised to not see a thread on a PFC. Anyone running one? Anyone have a reason NOT to buy one?

I'm looking at finally caving and ordering one of these (likely today). I have an S14 SR20DET that's pretty much stock right now. It needs tuned BADLY. I also have a Z32 MAF and JWT S3 cams I'm getting ready to put in so I know it will need adjusted again.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these units. I'm going to have to find a tuner with a dyno in the Northern Kentucky area I'm thinking....
    sigpic
    || Endurance Motorports ||

I have one. Works fine (as good as your tuner).

I usually pull a couple degrees of timing from the whole map and autox or track days, just to be safe.

If you get one, buy a datalogit so you can tune with your laptop (unless the shop around you has one) instead of just the commander.

I got mine really cheap, otherwise I would have bought an enthalpy or jwt ecu instead.

Comment

From what I know, the PFC is the best bang-for-the-buck standalone out there (compared to the Haltech and AEM standalones). I just have an Enthalpy tune and it's great (came with the car)

Comment

Additionally, I really do like the commander as a way to measure water temp, duty cycle, knock, etc. Very handy. Plus being able to make small changes on the fly is neat.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll have to look into the datalogit. I'm sure we can get that as well.
          sigpic

Comment

I would love to have a PFC with a MAP sensor and do away with the MAF, not to mention having the ability to monitor duty cycle and knock

Comment

I've generally not heard good things about the map versions of PFC.

If you want map I think AEM, Haltech or Vipec is the way to go.

Comment

Well we sell all but the Vipec but I've always heard PFC for the SR's. I'm just always a little leery about some of the info I'm getting until I get on a real enthusiast site like this where people actually run their cars and build them well.

The one I'll be getting is the MAF version as I have a Z32 MAF sitting on my dining room table right now.... I also have an N60 if anyone needs one! :lol:

I thought about going Haltech but we have nobody in the area that can tune one and I don't think we have AEM EMS tuners either.... Seems like the few Nissan tuners we have are Nistune or PFC.
                sigpic

Comment

I got the Map version for my build this year. My head is still out being ported, and internals still waiting for WPC, and BW EFR on order. So i will not have it together until late May. Which i am fine with. The goal was to just get the car back out on the track with a solid build and no rush.
                  Last edited by kognition; 04-01-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Let me know how that EFR does for you. I'll be swapping turbo next Spring and am looking at Garrett vs Borg Warner.

I went ahead and ordered the MAF version. It should be in some time early April. I guess Apex'i was out of them too. *shrugs*
                    sigpic

Comment

I have one too, with Z32 MAF, S15 turbo, bla bla. Like e1_griego said, as good as your tuner I suppose...

I think I've seen one or two people say they might have had hardware issues (overheating?) but *knock on wood*, nothing so far.
                      97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

Oh if they have issues, I'll find it. I have the worst luck! LoL

I guess we'll see in a few weeks. Trying to find a decent tuner that doesn't charge a fortune is an interesting task in itself. Cheapest so far is $150 / hour with no hour estimate... Ugh.
                        sigpic

Comment

I've run both the L-Jet and D-Jet on my RB. I liked the MAF version was easier to work with in my experience. The base maps aren't WAY out of whack. I had a decent road tune and then decided to clean up some piping and go D-Jet. The base map stunk and the car ran horribly in comparison. I ran into a lot more driveability issues switching to D-Jet, and required a professional dyno tune to fix. They both have their pros and cons. D-Jet is a bit more finicky but the physical setup can be a lot cleaner. Also less chance of component failure (nissan MAFs are frail)

Some suggestions - if you're planning to get professionally tuned, use a tuner who knows PFC, and don't bother getting the datalogit. It's just $300 you can put towards your tuning fee. If you want to play with the settings yourself, then by all means spend the money.

Look into Nistune too, which wasn't very popular when I made my purchases. Its cheaper than PFC all said and done and offers the same tuning capabilities. Doesn't have the monochrome early 90s hand controller though (which is a great monitoring tool). If you don't want to do your own soldering there are companies that do it for you now.

Comment

Thanks for the input! Rare you find someone that has tried both versions.

Yeah I was thinking of Nistune but I'm going to be changing this frequently and the PFC just seemed to fit better, with more options, for that method.

It has been ordered.. can't wait!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leetfade View Post
                              Oh if they have issues, I'll find it. I have the worst luck! LoL

I guess we'll see in a few weeks. Trying to find a decent tuner that doesn't charge a fortune is an interesting task in itself. Cheapest so far is $150 / hour with no hour estimate... Ugh.
                              Well, it was a flat $500 for me w/ a dyno tune. If you go to someone that knows them, then I wouldn't see it taking any longer than 2-3 hours. I got a good deal on a PFC from a guy on Zilvia though. You probably know by now, but make sure you get the correct S14 one for zenki/kouki if you're going that route.
                              97 Kouki SR 240

Comment

Working...
                              X