My Custom Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Custom Harness

so i've had my issues with the sr harness and adapter harness to the honda box ems. i ordered up a bunch of heatshrink, some open barrel crimpers and it has begun. for the last 3 days i've been cutting, heating, soldering, and worrying (that i'm gonna mess this **** up).

so this is what i started with. (warning its quit ugly, and embarassing)

I started by mounting the aem, which i've never done besides velcro. and like i said this is a honda box, it about twice the size of the sr box. so it doesn't fit where the stock one does.

So got the engine bay done and the wires into the car. it took a long time.
    did you ever do something and expect it to turn out a certain way. and it doesn't, well for some reason thats how it looks to me. just like i could have done better or something

plenty left to do with these.

Last edited by Your Mom; 03-08-2008, 10:41 AM.

Most PM answers: F 17X9 +22, R 17X9 +35

Those molex crimpers are sweet! That's a pretty nice mess you've got there. Take your time and label each wire. It took me a solid week to build my old Haltech harness, and I'm an Electrical Engineer! I don't know how people charge as little as they do for a custom harness.
    She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

this is my first time striping a full harness and heat shrinking everything. it may not be professional but i had to do something.

i really wanted to buy one of the molex crimpers that crimp both at the same time. but they are very expensive. i did find some used ones on ebay but there are so many types of crimpers that i had no idea which one to buy. on top of that there is no information that i could find that could tell me what kind of terminals i have. you would think molex would have that info readily available so that people can purchase the correct crimper. so i just bought this one.

John Reed a local tuner makes some really nice harnesses but he uses reychem thats $300+ for roll of heatshrink. i just bought rolls that were on ebay. One thing i learned heatshrink has an expiration date. for my experience don't buy it if its older than 2 years past it expiration.

Comment

Looking good, Brian. As Chris stated and you already know, just take your time and double check your wiring. I do alot of custom wiring at work and it sure can be tedious, especially if your wanting it to look good.
        Last edited by veilside180sx; 03-09-2008, 12:24 PM.
        -Monty

Comment

Wow, that first picture of the harness got my heart beating a bit faster and made me dizzy.

Comment

yeah i had cleaned up the harness so it would look good in the engine bay which meant pulling all the excess wires into the car. you obviously see the result.

I pinned 5 wires and it took me 2 hours. mostly cause i'm figuring out which settings on the crimper to use and the different terminals i have. then double checking everything, cause i don't have a pin remover.

Grounds will be the worst. but i've got lots of documentation to get this done right.

Comment

Looks sweet! Harnesses are a lot of fun once you get past the initial steps. Good luck with the rest. Also, check continuity on every pin when you are done. You will never have to worry about it after that.

Comment

Here it is all done. Not as nice as i hoped but its not bad for my 1st harness.

I was so scared to start it. i was ready for something to happen. usually when something happens its ugly. But the car fired right up. all the sensors were good. the fans didn't work at first but that was a bad relay. So overall a success! I need to find the kickpanel cover and its all done.

Comment

What relay/fuse panel is that?
                  She's built like a Steakhouse, but she handles like a Bistro.

Comment

um crap, its a........ i can't remember.

PAINLESS it was on the tip of my tonge. I don't know the part #.
                    Last edited by Your Mom; 03-17-2008, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X