Threaded coilover sleeves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threaded coilover sleeves.

So Damon over at attack motorsports in Jacksonville, FL has stated that he will make these sleeves for us in whatever thread pitch we need if we agree on one. The sleeves would be $200 a piece and can be used in both the front and the rear of any s13/14. Since Richard seems to have moved on from the these boards or is just really busy with life this is the route I am taking, as it's the only available one I can find for running 86xx inserts.

The current thread pitch he has for them is M55x2.0, which is the same as Stance, ISIS, KTS, and buddy club. So if you have a set of these coilovers already, all you need to do is buy the sleeves and the shocks and you can thread them right in.

For a one time re-tooling fee of $200 he can change the thread pitch to whatever we desire. That means the $200 cost is divided between those asking for a specific thread pitch.

I am trying to see if anyone would like to do a run of these in a M50x 1.5 thread pitch. This is the same thread pitch as Megan and EMUSA (newest cheapo ebay brand). So you could buy a brand new set of EMUSA coilovers on ebay for $450 shipped and then thread your new KONI inserts into them, that way you'd already have camber plates, perches, and top hats. Furthermore Megan Racing also sells z32 rear fork mount adapters ($130/pair) if you want to run z32 uprights.

These are made out of 100% aluminum, it would be about a 1 month turn around time and require 50% to be put down up front. So who is down to do this with me?

1. mischief (Michael)

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

- '93 S13 (the long awaited fun machine)
    - '05 E46 (the S13 fund evaporator)

I would be extremely wary of the strength of those sleeves at 50mm diameter.. That's the outermost edge, and with a 1.5mm thread pitch, you're going to lose roughly 1.5mm on each side as well. That puts the structural OD at about 47-48mm.

The OD of a Koni 8611 is 43.5 or 45.5 mm depending on model, so that leaves you with 48-43.5 = 4.5mm / 2 = 2.25mm wall thickness of the sleeve. That is WAAAAYYYY too thin to be structurally sound in aluminum.

You're better off sticking with the 55mm parts so you have greater strength.
    Originally posted by SoSideways
    I don't care what color they are as long as they are LONG AND HARD.
    '04 G35 Sedan 6MT- The DD
    '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

mhmmm....whelp that thought never even crossed my mind actually. He hadn't verified that he would even be able to do that thread pitch, and now thinking about it like that...... This is what I get for not having enough back ground info myself, and not being an engineer. I am just frustrated that there are seemingly no more options for 86xx inserts out there. 55mm would be safe enough though in your mind? Thinking about how thin it would be truly never even crossed my mind. Damon has not had any issue running his in 55mm, but then again I would rather be safe than risk suspension components failing at speed.

Comment

The issue usually isn't the 'at speed' part. it's the sudden stop when you hit a curb that breaks them.

this is of course 'hand grenade math' but I would be comfortable with a 55mm diameter. MUCH more so over the 50mm anyway..

I would buy a set if I wasn't planning to sell the car soon. darn good deal and an easy way to get some good shocks in the car considering I already have a set of KTS that surely needs rebuilt after 50k total miles and 8 years of track use.
        '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Def, do you care to chime in? Are there any other option out there for 86xx inserts you know of now?

Comment

I'm interested in the weight. I'd like to see solid numbers before committing to anything.
            To get comparable numbers, I'd need the weight of the lower fork mount, does anyone have that?
            Will this include the snap ring and the top cap?
            Last edited by cdlong; 11-12-2014, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cdlong View Post
              Will this include the snap ring and the top cap?
              Yes

Comment

Originally posted by cdlong View Post
                I'm interested in the weight. I'd like to see solid numbers before committing to anything.
                To get comparable numbers, I'd need the weight of the lower fork mount, does anyone have that?
                I have a set of KTS lower mounts for Z32 in the garage.. I'll try to get weights on them sometime in the not so distant future. I'd guess they're about 2lbs each.
                '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Originally posted by mischief View Post
                  Def, do you care to chime in? Are there any other option out there for 86xx inserts you know of now?
                  I agree with Matt on the strength. There's no way M50x1.5 mm thread will work on the sleeves.

Diameter of the Koni 8611-1257 is 43.5 mm, and a M50x1.5 mm external thread leaves roughly 47 mm OD at the thread root. So you've got a wall thickness of only 1.75 mm. That's only 0.069" in 'Murican. Basically you could almost bend them over your knee.

I priced out a welded aluminum housing with the top part already threaded, so one didn't need additional sleeves or anything. The cost wasn't completely out there, but it's a lot of labor so I didn't pursue it. More machined parts reduce the labor input, but increase the total component cost - sometimes significantly.

Honestly, if you're buying a set of coilovers to only get the hardware for the fronts, that's pretty expensive.

Not trying to crap on this attempt, just throwing out maybe an easier/cheaper solution for you guys:

If you guys really want a double adjustable set of housings at roughly 1.5-2x the cost of fabricated steel housings, I could host a GB towards the beginning of next year. I could do a complete option minus camber plates - Konis, housings, threaded lower mounts, spring mounts.
                  '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                  http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Soo, I checked recently, and my Koni 8611s slide right into my stock (gutted) front S14 housings.

Just a FYI. I can post pics if you need confirmation.

I found this out after having a set of custom front S14 housings built..........

Comment

Originally posted by Matt93SE View Post
                      I have a set of KTS lower mounts for Z32 in the garage.. I'll try to get weights on them sometime in the not so distant future. I'd guess they're about 2lbs each.
                      Thanks Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by RalliartRsX View Post
                        Soo, I checked recently, and my Koni 8611s slide right into my stock (gutted) front S14 housings.

Just a FYI. I can post pics if you need confirmation.

I found this out after having a set of custom front S14 housings built..........
                        Are they a tight fit?

And what are you going to do for the gland nut?
                        '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
                        http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

Originally posted by Def View Post
                          Are they a tight fit?

And what are you going to do for the gland nut?
                          Damn, THAT's the term I was searching for earlier. Anyway...

Comment

The upper portion was machined for a (Koni 50mm, if my memory serves me corerectly) gland nut.

The fit of the insert is snug. The slack is taken up by Aluminum spacers. But, several racers I know just wrap the insert with duct tape and "press" fit it in just fine. Actually, my last set built for another chassis had the 8611s press fit into the Tein housings using Duct Tape (not the silver, but the black, sticky variety). Held up well to hours of track time.

Also, if you do not want to machine it, you can simply lop off the top portion and weld a tube with the gland nut thread size already machined into it. The Gland nut Tap was $120+.............I shared the cost with my builder.

Comment

Just something to think about if you're going the way of inserts... Nissan has used cartridge assemblies for their rear shocks on FWD cars for a long time. replacement parts- even OEM ones- are simply shock inserts. One of the things in the manual on them is to yank the old guts out and save the shock oil. When you replace the insert into the housing, you pour the oil back in until the shock is submerged. This gives a better medium to conduct heat out of the shock body than an air gap.
                              '96 240SX- The Track Toy

Comment

Working...
                              X