DefSport 12.2" Wilwood BBK Group Buy 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DefSport 12.2" Wilwood BBK Group Buy 2014

Sorry for the delay with this guys, but I've tried long and hard to get a supplier for alternate heavy duty rotors and have struck out more on this than trying to get any other dealer accounts. Ridiculous yearly minimums and super high initial buy-ins, or just plain old lazy businesses made it not happen over and over.

So I'm going to offer the 12.2" BBK (up to 6 sets) with the medium duty rotors for the previous $1040 shipped price, or if it goes over 6 sets, I'll sell the additional sets for $940 shipped. This is with Wilwood BP-10 pads, if you'd like other pads like Hawk please contact me, I can offer them at my dealer cost.

Kit includes:
    -Everything needed to bolt on the BBK to the front of your S13/S14/Z32
    -2x Wilwood Forged Superlite calipers, 4 piston
    -2x DefSport caliper brackets
    -2x DefSport rotor hats
    -2x Wilwood medium duty 12.19" x 1.25" rotor
    -1x Complete Mil-Spec hardware kit (caliper bolts/washers, rotor bolts/washers/nuts)
    -1x Set Wilwood BP10 pads (can be upgraded)
    -1x Wilwood 240SX Lineset (Wilwood kits do not come with this)

Keep in mind these kits come with line kits, which the Wilwood kits do not come with (I believe MAP price for the line kits is now ~$65).

Recommended setup is with Z32 rear brakes and either a 1" or 17/16" Z32 master cylinder (recommended 1" for manual boosters, 17/16" if you've an auto booster). Can be used with stock rear brakes, but I'd recommend a 15/16" MC and shimming the internal brake bias aduster slightly to get the bias closer to stock.

These kits use any 12.19" x 1.25" 8 x 7" through bolt rotor ring, so there are a ton of options for rotors out there. Brake pads are the very affordable HB521 Hawk fitment, Wilwood 7420 fitment. This is the cheapest pad cost per volume I've ever seen, so if you go to the track, this kit will pay for itself. It's also very light, coming in at roughly 16 lbs per corner (calipers, brackets, hats, rotors) with the medium duty rotors. That's lighter than the stock brakes once you factor in the heavy stock sliding calipers.

Please add your name to the list. I'll keep this open for approximately a month, then I'll go ahead and get things started. Delivery should be approximately 3-4 weeks after the GB closes. The minimum number of people I need to meet the $1040/940 pricing is 6 sets. Under that and unfortunately my parts costs goes up and I can't keep that pricing. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

2014 GB List(please copy and add your S/N):

1. Joe D
    Last edited by Def; 07-05-2014, 07:52 PM.
    '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
    http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Not trying to be "that guy" but could you put me down for a pair of hats (5 lug) and all the hardware.

Comment

Are we able to get them without pads? I don't use hawk pads, but may be willing to maybe try one of their race compounds.
      98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

how long will this gb stay open? I need them, and will buy them, buy I gotta finish paying my dogs surgery off to open up some funds.

Comment

I'd like to close this down sometime in early-mid August.

As for pads, you can get any Wilwood or Hawk pad with them. I'd rather not start taking custom orders and having to work out the pricing on every possible combination. It's more work for me up front, and fulfilling the order.

Feel free to PM me if you want hats/hardware by themselves.

Comment

Pmd

Comment

Well I'll start it off then.

2014 GB List(please copy and add your S/N):

1. Joe D
              98 240SX SCCA STUish

Comment

Sorry if I missed it, but what exactly does this kit come with? Calipers, lines, pads and (full) rotors? Couldn't catch it all from the post.

How do you reckon these would work with stock S14 rear brakes?

Comment

I'll update the first post with a bit more information, but it's the same kit that was offered for the last GB.

Comment

What size master, and rear caliper would you recommend for an un boosted application?

Comment

Rear Z32 brakes. They are not very large. If you want to stay with stock rears, you need more line pressure to help bring he balance back.

Comment

Generally, you'll want a smaller master if you don't have vacuum assist. You'd probably want to move the pushrod on the pedal towards the pedal pivot to increase the mechanical advantage.

Increasing the front brake by this much means you probably will need to move some of that bias back to the rear. Bigger brakes in the rear or playing with the pad compounds can help.

Lastly, playing with the proportioning valve can help too; removing or disabling it, shimming it or removing and replacing with an aftermarket adjustable one.

That being said, it seems that most of those who have put larger brakes have struggled with getting bias where we want it.

Comment

Oh sorry - does unboosted mean no turbo on the engine, or no vacuum assist on the brakes?

I don't think any MC will yield an acceptable pedal pressure with no vacuum assist. There's just not enough mechanical advantage without hacking up with factory setup greatly. At that point I'd say dual MC and a pedal box would be the way to go, and I'm not too sure of where to start with that. Depends on a lot of variables really, and how you want to be able to tune the bias from a "neutral point."

I have no real problems with my bias with the DefSport brakes. It feels basically identical to the Z32 brakes which came off with the exception that they maintain their temperature window much better due to much more cooling in the rotors. The math suggests bias shifts a very small percentage with the addition of the DefSport kit vs. Z32s all around.

The next step down in FSL piston sizing is 1.38" vs. 1.63" pistons, which nets a HUGE reduction in front braking force, so I don't recommend it in any application. You might be able to bias it with low pressure to the stock rear brakes, but at that point you're far far into the biasing region of the rear circuit, which yields poor performance in changing conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by jfryjfry View Post
                            Increasing the front brake by this much means you probably will need to move some of that bias back to the rear. Bigger brakes in the rear or playing with the pad compounds can help.

Lastly, playing with the proportioning valve can help too; removing or disabling it, shimming it or removing and replacing with an aftermarket adjustable one.

That being said, it seems that most of those who have put larger brakes have struggled with getting bias where we want it.

I am not sure I agree with a majority of your statements. With 1.62 superlite front/Z32 rear, the brake bias with same compound pads is fairly close to stock. With the setup, I adjust bias simply by pad compound and nothing else.

I have a brake bias spreadsheet and the Defsport kit with the 1.62" Superlite 4 pot and Z32 rear only brings the bias to the front 2.7% over stock (and 5.4% with stock S14 rears), so bias with Def's kit is negligible at best with the 300ZX MC

Stock Bias F-R - 69.1
                            SL4 (1.62)Front/Z32 Rear - 71.8%
                            SL4 (1.62)Front/S14 Rear - 74.5%

I do not recall anyone having brake bias issue with the Def kit..........

Comment

Yep - it very marginally moves bias forward vs. Z32s all around, and actually matches up very very closely with all stock brakes all around and a Z32 MC.

It's pretty easy to bump up rear pressure on a Z32 MC via shims as has been demonstrated here. So it's also tuneable with a little work.

So far only 1 person signed up - like I said before, I need to get at least 6 people to make this pricing happen. So definitely don't be shy if you were wanting some awesome DefSport kit action.

Running costs are far below Z32s and Wilwood's 12.9" kit for track usage by using circle track components.

Comment

Working...
                              X