Brackets for 350Z Track Rotors and Wilwood Superlites - Batch #4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brackets for 350Z Track Rotors and Wilwood Superlites - Batch #4

PLEASE NOTE: Current bracket pricing is $185/set plus shipping.

Group Buy List

cscofield28_________2 sets___silviav8forums____S-13____PAID____SHIPPED 10/5
    Lrn2Go_____________1 set____silviav8forums____S-1?___PAID____SHIPPED 10/5
    phil204_____________1 set____NRR____________S-1?____PAID____SHIPPED 10/5
    onehundredoctane___1 set____CarolinaNissans___S14____PAID____SHIPPED 10/5
    Owen______________1 set____CarolinaNissans___S14____PAID____SHIPPED 10/5
    Vlad_______________1 set____NRR____________S-13____PAID____SHIPPED 10/5
    sc s15_____________1 set____NRR____________S-13____PAID____SHIPPED 10/5
    scarredone_________1 set____NRR____________S-13____PAID____SHIPPED 10/5
    sedewey___________1 set____NRR____________Z-31____PAID____SHIPPED 10/5

Overview

These brackets will allow you to use a 350Z Track rotors with Wilwood Superlite 4- or 6-piston calipers on the front of an S-chassis, 350/370Z, or G35/G37. They were designed by me, manufactured in the United States by a small business, and the little profit I make goes right back into my car. The finish is a Type III Class 2 hard anodize finish that increases both scratch and chemical resistance over a "normal" Type II anodize and meets military spec MIL-A-8625.

Pricing

1-9 pairs will be $160 per pair shipped in the continental U.S.
    10-24 pairs will be $145 per pair shipped in the continental U.S.
    25-49 pairs will be $135 per pair shipped in the continental U.S.

Background

I ran Wilwood 11.75" diameter (298mm), 1.25" thick (32mm) rotors in a 2-piece hat design on my S13 track car. After about a year of not driving the car and thinking about my goals for it, I decided I wanted to run an Off-The-Shelf (OTS) rotor. While 2-piece rotors ones are baller and save a bunch of weight, I'm lazy and want to be able to throw something on the car and go, especially for track events. I also wanted to use a larger diameter rotor with more mass, which gets VERY expensive with 2-piece designs. As an example: 12.88", 1.1" thick Wilwood 2-piece rotors that come in the S14 kit are $185 EACH to replace. At a minimum, and not including shipping. To compare, I can get a pair of 350Z Track rotors for $150.

Advantages
    1. Ability to run Off-The-Shelf (OTS), readily available rotors.
    2. Wilwood Superlite calipers are affordable, easy to find used, and super easy to rebuild compared to Z32 calipers.
    3. Superlite caliper pad cost is usually lower than Z32 pad costs, due to manufacturing volumes. When I looked awhile ago, I found the following:
      _____________Z32_________Superlite_________Savings
      Blues________$188__________$128_____________$60
      HT-10________$195__________$128_____________$67
      DTC-60_______$203__________$160_____________$43
      HP+_________$117___________$88_____________$29
      HPS__________$88___________$84______________$4
    4. Superlites are available in multiple piston numbers and sizes, allowing you to easily tweak your braking system if you add more power or change the rear brakes. It also means you can run the 6-piston Superlites if you want to ball outta control.
    5. The BBK can easily be transferred to a 350/370Z or G35/37. All you have to do is drill out the spindle mounting holes in the bracket for the larger G35 bolts. I'm not sure if the lines are reusable across chassis.
    6. You can actually get coefficient of friction information on Wilwood pads. They are the only pad manufacturer that provides this information, and it is critical to correctly balancing a brake system.
    7. If you decide you want 2-piece rotors down the road, they are available through RacingBrake. This will save you ~6lbs. per rotor

Disclaimers
    • The Superlite caliper P/N below is for a 1.38" piston. Your piston size may vary based on the rear brake setup and how you use the car.
    • You will need to run 17" wheels with this caliper/rotor setup. It's possible a 16" wheel would work based on my test-fit using a 17" Cobra R wheel, but I wouldn't count on it.
    • Caliper to spoke clearance should be similar to Z32 calipers, but I have not compared them back-to-back.
    • The Superlite caliper P/N below is for a 1.25" rotor, whereas the 350Z track rotor is 1.18" thick. Please be aware that if you run the pads down to the backing plates, you may overextend your pistons and lose brake pressure and/or leak fluid. If you are concerned about doing this, you can run spacers after you've worn your pads down. I just eyeball my pads on some frequency to make sure they aren't getting too thin.

Additional Parts Needed
    • 2x 980250 Raybestos 350Z Track rotors...................$132 (RockAuto considers these "High Performance" rotors, and you can find cheaper ones)
    • 2x 120-11130 FSI Caliper, 1.38" pistons, for 1.25" rotor.....$300
    • 1x 150-8854K BP-10 pads, set of 4...............$66
    • 1x 220-9199 Wilwood SS brake line kit w/adapters......$60
    *All Wilwood component pricing is from the Summit site. Raybestos rotors from RockAuto.

The additional parts total is $558 not including shipping/handling.

Pictures

v1 mounted with a 17x9 Cobra R replica:

v2 mounted on my friend's G35:
    Last edited by 2Fass240us; 07-18-2016, 01:31 PM. Reason: noted all paid-for sets as shipped

Added a few participants. Up to 6 sets now...4 more and we can lower the price.

Comment

Do you have complete rotor weight for these?
      winhpde.com

Comment

In the RacingBrake link above, it shows the 350Z Track rotors at 21.1 lbs. They offer a 2-piece version that's 15.0 lbs.

Comment

BTW - don't you mean 1.63" pistons, not 1.38" pistons? The 1.38" pistons are rear biased even with stock rear brakes IIRC.
          '18 Chevrolet Volt - Electric fun hatch for DD duty!

DefSport Koni Sleeve and Spring Perch Buy!!!
          http://www.nissanroadracing.com/showthread.php?t=5902

Comment

I ran the 1.38" on my S13 track car with a stock BMC and never had any rear-bias issues. Czech it:

Front Caliper_____Piston Area______Torque Bias
            OE 2.13"_________3.55 in^2_______0.71 (OE 10.12" rotor)
            1.38"____________2.99 in^2_______0.74 (with 11.75" Wilwood)
            1.63"____________4.17 in^2_______0.80 (with 11.75" Wilwood)

I only recommend the 1.63" Superlites with Z32 rears, and a 15/16" Z31 BMC as well. The BMC depends on pedal feel preference though.

Comment

$150 for Z33 track rotors? Eesh, the Evos are cheaper than that; why didn't you just design this kit around that rotor?

Comment

Originally posted by 2Fass240us View Post
                I ran the 1.38" on my S13 track car with a stock BMC and never had any rear-bias issues. Czech it:

Front Caliper_____Piston Area______Torque Bias
                OE 2.13"_________3.55 in^2_______0.71 (OE 10.12" rotor)
                1.38"____________2.99 in^2_______0.74 (with 11.75" Wilwood)
                1.63"____________4.17 in^2_______0.80 (with 11.75" Wilwood)

I only recommend the 1.63" Superlites with Z32 rears, and a 15/16" Z31 BMC as well. The BMC depends on pedal feel preference though.
                Fair enough, but that's a pretty small piston up front. Anything done to the rears gets it essentially "unable to be biased."

I think your maths might be a little misleading though, as the radius of gyration doesn't change linearly with just an increase in rotor OD.

Comment

BTW - ABS stock pistons are 57 mm/2.24" diameter, so that pushes it a bit further towards the 1.63" pistons if someone was starting with ABS on their car.

Comment

Originally posted by Beejis60 View Post
                    $150 for Z33 track rotors? Eesh, the Evos are cheaper than that; why didn't you just design this kit around that rotor?
                    That's with shipping. FWIW, I don't think $66 per rotor is that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by def View Post
                      i think your maths might be a little misleading though, as the radius of gyration doesn't change linearly with just an increase in rotor od.
                      lawl_wat

The effective radius is half the diameter minus half the pad height. What am I missing here?

Comment

That's with shipping. FWIW, I don't think $66 per rotor is that bad.
                        Oh okay, so when I hear 150 for rotors, I think 150 each since that's how the rest of the world buys them. $66 is much better than Evo's then.

Comment

Oh okay, so when I hear 150 for rotors, I think 150 each since that's how the rest of the world buys them.
                          R1Concepts sells them in "axle sets," but yeah...they're usually sold in singles.

$66 is much better than Evo's then.
                          indeed

Comment

lawl_wat

The effective radius is half the diameter minus half the pad height. What am I missing here?
                            The brake pad actually reacts along a radius called the radius of gyration, and it does not increase linearly with the OD change, also the pad width being different changes things as well.

It's not a huge difference, but it generally does not give you the same result as just comparing rotor ODs and saying you are gaining a ton of bias on that axle as a result.

The 1.38's will work, it's just very easy to overpower them on the rear with the calipers people typically use back there.

Comment

Would it be a bad idea to run these with my GKTech spindles, which already have a separate brake caliper mount that bolts into the spindle.

I also remember reading in the old thread that willwood also sells some shims you can use between the pads and pistons?
                              Last edited by Vlad; 07-21-2013, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X